SASS Wire Forum

So there I was..

Utah Bob #35998

...about to type a fascinating reply to a thread on the wire. Esoteric but not overly intellectual. Pointed and thoughtful. Undertones of deep philosophical thought yet light and pithy as well. Crafted in the relatively unused portion of my mind, it was masterful if I do say so. I envisioned folks chuckling while thinking deeply with a tear in their eye. No doubt a moderator would contact me and ask if they could post it as a sticky and publish it in the CC as well.

Then I heard a dang Huey fly over and ran outside to look at it.

I wish I could stop doing that.

By the time I came back in my brilliant thoughts had faded into wondering what to make for dinner and if I should put more windshield washer fluid in the truck..

I'll stay here in The Saloon where I don't have to think too much. It's much safer. :lol::unsure:

...about to type a fascinating reply to a thread on the wire. Esoteric but not overly intellectual. Pointed and thoughtful. Undertones of deep philosophical thought yet light and pithy as well. Crafted in the relatively unused portion of my mind, it was masterful if I do say so. I envisioned folks chuckling while thinking deeply with a tear in their eye. No doubt a moderator would contact me and ask if they could post it as a sticky and publish it in the CC as well.

. :lol::unsure:

Bob...Are you conjuring a story or writing a wine review?

Just askin'

Cascade Charlie

Bob...Are you conjuring a story or writing a wine review?

Just askin'

Cascade Charlie

What's the difference? ;)

By the time I came back in my brilliant thoughts had faded into wondering what to make for dinner and if I should put more windshield washer fluid in the truck..

I'll stay here in The Saloon where I don't have to think too much. It's much safer. :lol::unsure:

Dang it Bob, it's been a while since we have had pitchy on the saloon! :lol: Or pithy either!!

You write so well!

What's the difference? ;)

Well UB ,

A wine review begins wif : "Man , dats tastey !!"

A story begins wif: "Hey Y'all.....Watch this !!!

Things like that suck through a straw man and womanly charm pop bottle cap.

"Authentic frontier gibberish!"

I dunno, most stories I know begin with: "No $#!%, there I was...."

And there was only one DUCK before someone said GOOSE, S'posed to be TWO Ducks before Goose... play right now. :lol:

(I think I been out in the heat too long agin :blink: )

Bodine

Those helicopters weren't black, were they?:unsure:

Naah. They only come around at night. :lol:

UB

Like you I tend to look when a BIRD goes over , had 2 BHs and 3 Chinooks fly over a whils ago .

BTW the Ranch Dino was a cute little feller , ain't ever seen one here .

CB

Can't tell a Blackhawk from a Fed-ex truck.

But I can hear a Huey from a county away 5 minutes before my wife can.

I'm Radar Dang O'Reilly! :lol: :lol:

The sound of a Huey is unmistakable and on the now rare occasion I hear one, I will do my best to get a look as well. Chinooks and Blackhawks, I will see if I can spot through one of our large windows, but won't go out of my way for. Wright Patterson has just gotten in some C-17s and I am seeing them flying around, which is pretty cool.

So, I'm not the only one who can tell the sound of a Huey! Hard not to miss one! We have them over here once in awhile, I have to go out and look myself :unsure:

Yup!

An ungainly looking craft it is. Not dashing certainly, Not a glorious image. More of a crow than a falcon. Beautiful only in it's function; and in that there is perfection.

One day the sound of the Huey's blade beating the air in submission will disappear from the land. The bop-bop-bop in the distance has mostly given way to the steady roar of the Blackhawks now. I think I know how the old horse cavalrymen felt when they saw the line of tanks on the field. The field that no longer echoed to the hoof beats of bygone days.

Like the throaty growl of the Spad, the thunderous roar of the B-17, and the scream of the Merlin engine in the Mustang and Spitfire, an age passes. No longer will these old eyes search the clouds for an incoming chariot. A chariot bringing letters from home, or desperately needed supplies, or to take you away from a bad place, maybe only to take you to another one.

I will no longer be transported to another place in time as memories swirl like the water vapor off the tips of the rotor blade. I'll not see a door gunner wave as the bird departs, his eyes saying "So long you poor bastards", as the co-pilot flashes a peace sign out his window. The afternoon will not be interrupted by thoughts of my youth. Thoughts of friends who's youth will never fade. Thoughts of dark nights scarcely cooler than the day, the smell of burning diesel, the distant boom of outgoing shells and the scream of incoming. The sound of the radio crackling as airstrikes are called in. The laughter of barefoot children as they catch the candy bars thrown to them.

All these will fade as the sound of the Huey passes into history. At a parade, when a flyover of the old war bird occurs, younger men will not notice a tear from an old eye ... or if they do notice, will not understand. And as the landscape no longer vibrates with the thunder of an approaching platoon, time and memories will move on. As they should.

Farewell you ugly, beautiful, smelly, wonderful old thing. Thanks for the memories, damn you. :FlagAm:

An ungainly looking craft it is. Not dashing certainly, Not a glorious image. More of a crow than a falcon. Beautiful only in it's function; and in that there is perfection.

One day the sound of the Huey's blade beating the air in submission will disappear from the land. The bop-bop-bop in the distance has mostly given way to the steady roar of the Blackhawks now. I think I know how the old horse cavalrymen felt when they saw the line of tanks on the field. The field that no longer echoed to the hoof beats of bygone days.

Like the throaty growl of the Spad, the thunderous roar of the B-17, and the scream of the Merlin engine in the Mustang and Spitfire, an age passes. No longer will these old eyes search the clouds for an incoming chariot. A chariot bringing letters from home, or desperately needed supplies, or to take you away from a bad place, maybe only to take you to another one.

I will no longer be transported to another place in time as memories swirl like the water vapor off the tips of the rotor blade. I'll not see a door gunner wave as the bird departs, his eyes saying "So long you poor bastards", as the co-pilot flashes a peace sign out his window. The afternoon will not be interrupted by thoughts of my youth. Thoughts of friends who's youth will never fade. Thoughts of dark nights scarcely cooler than the day, the smell of burning diesel, the distant boom of outgoing shells and the scream of incoming. The sound of the radio crackling as airstrikes are called in. The laughter of barefoot children as they catch the candy bars thrown to them.

All these will fade as the sound of the Huey passes into history. At a parade, when a flyover of the old war bird occurs, younger men will not notice a tear from an old eye ... or if they do notice, will not understand. And as the landscape no longer vibrates with the thunder of an approaching platoon, time and memories will move on. As they should.

Farewell you ugly, beautiful, smelly, wonderful old thing. Thanks for the memories, damn you. :FlagAm:

I was never there, but that still sends a shiver down my spine and brings a tear to my eye..

I get the same feeling when a B-17 passes over on it's way to an airshow..

Thank you and all our Veterans, both past and present, for your service and sacrifice.. :FlagAm:

Bob; It's still amazing to me how in just 4 short paragraphs you can bring back a years worth of memories to me. I probably experienced all of those thing just as you and many more did.

When walking, delivering U.S.Mail everyday for 20 years in Anaheim, I would hear the WOP WOP WOP of a bunch of Huey's going overhead and immediately think of Vietnam. El Toro Marine Base was just down the road and flights of choppers were common in the Anaheim area. Camp Pendelton is just 35 miles from here too. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Archived