SASS Wire Forum

O/T - Motorcycle Riders Part 2

"Dirt tracking"/Scrambling on rigid frame, tank shift Panheads.
From the 1953 movie "Code Two".
Thank you Keenan Wynn, Ralph Meeker, and Robert Horton.
I know I sure would not try this on my tank shift, suicide clutch, rigid Harley - - - - seriously BAD things would occur.
Tull

Keenan Wynn was a pretty fair rider - he rode in a couple of the original Catalina Island Grand Prix's. :FlagAm:

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Professor for posting.

I had completely forgotten about this great older biker movie.

I remember there were some great riding sequences in it.

Keenan Wynn not only raced bikes, he was also a fair hand with boats and cars.

Can't see the rigid frame, foot clutch, tank shift crowd from these current times trying anything like that. Especially the bikes with springer front ends.

Thanks again.

Black Adder

1961 Servicar

You are welcome HM and BA.

As you can see, my suicide clutch, tank shifting, rigid frame, even has..........TRAINING WHEELS............

And I STILL would not attempt any of those stunts. Or the pylon course on the first "Motorcycle Rider" video I posted.

It is very hard to pick a trike up once it is on its side.

Tull

Keep watching the skies! :blink:

Glacier National Park News Release

July 26, 2011

For Immediate Release

Denise Germann 406 888-5838

NEWS11-57

Falling Rock Hits Motorcycle Passenger

WEST GLACIER, MT. – A passenger on a motorcycle traveling east on the Going-to-the-Sun Road near Triple Arches, west of Logan Pass, was hit by a 10-to-15-pound rock at approximately 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 26.

The passenger was knocked unconscious for a short time and was transported by Three Rivers Ambulance to the Red Rock Point area where A.L.E.R.T. Air Ambulance transported the injured passenger to Kalispell Regional Medical Center.

Park Rangers responding to the incident reported the passenger was wearing a helmet.

No other injuries were reported.

The National Park Service is conducting an investigation.

1961 Servicar

As you can see, my suicide clutch, tank shifting, rigid frame, even has..........TRAINING WHEELS............

And I STILL would not attempt any of those stunts. Or the pylon course on the first "Motorcycle Rider" video I posted.

Tull

My Department was still using these old pan heads in the early 90's. I was 3 wheel qualified in 1983.

1961 Servicar

Tull

That'd make a nifty Guncart!!

I loved the clip. I've looked into finding the whole movie, but it seems to be kind of scarce. I remember seeing part of what I thought was a training film, with this style bikes. The riders were practicing laying them down and riding the shiney side down the road until it stopped sliding. Thanks again. I cut my teeth on a 57FLH and sometimes wish I hadn't divorced it. Since they quit making pans in '65 that city was really getting their moneys worth out of 25 year old equipment, huh?

Rolling Stone

That Servicar is interesting. It has the cut out for passenger, like I have seen pictures of two cops using one for parking violators. The passenger marks tires with chalk. I think though they had to be modified like that. I have never seen a factory picture with the box modified like that. Harley also made a police version with the throttle on the left handlebar and side shift on the right. It was used for solo meter maiding and marking tires. I saw one of those last year at the toy run here.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Didn't Keenan Wynn hang out with a couple somewhat well known riders named Malcom Smith & Steve McQueen ??

That Servicar is interesting. It has the cut out for passenger, like I have seen pictures of two cops using one for parking violators. The passenger marks tires with chalk. I think though they had to be modified like that. I have never seen a factory picture with the box modified like that. Harley also made a police version with the throttle on the left handlebar and side shift on the right. It was used for solo meter maiding and marking tires. I saw one of those last year at the toy run here.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Howdy Doody -

And the plot thickens.

Originally this Servicar was sold to the US Army, and made its home at Fort Rucker, Alabama. When they sold off their kick start trikes, it went to the Mobile Alabama PD. It stayed there until 1981 when it was sold at auction to a Mobile resident. When he passed away in 1991, it was sold to a gentleman from Dothan, Alabama, and he is the one I bought it from about 5 years ago.

He and I both assumed the man in Mobile was the one to alter the box, but from you recollections, it could have been a military or Mobile PD mod.

I have never seen one with a passenger seat cut out before. Should be fun tracking down some of the trikes history - if possible.

Yusta B. -

You are correct. Keenan Wynn introduced McQueen to the joys of riding Triumphs [according to one of his biographies] on TT tracks and scrambles.

Tull

"made its home at Fort Rutger, Alabama."

That may be Fort Rucker, Alabama, near Dothan. My little brother was stationed there at least 3 times as he cycled into and out of 'nam. Air Cavalry units were there as well as trikes.

RS

"made its home at Fort Rutger, Alabama."

That may be Fort Rucker, Alabama, near Dothan. My little brother was stationed there at least 3 times as he cycled into and out of 'nam. Air Calvary units were there as well as trikes.

RS

MY MISTAKE

It is corrected now.

I don't know where I came up with that spelling.

No more Dickel while typing.

Tull

Howdy Doody -

And the plot thickens.

Originally this Servicar was sold to the US Army, and made its home at Fort Rucker, Alabama. When they sold off their kick start trikes, it went to the Mobile Alabama PD. It stayed there until 1981 when it was sold at auction to a Mobile resident. When he passed away in 1991, it was sold to a gentleman from Dothan, Alabama, and he is the one I bought it from about 5 years ago.

He and I both assumed the man in Mobile was the one to alter the box, but from you recollections, it could have been a military or Mobile PD mod.

I have never seen one with a passenger seat cut out before. Should be fun tracking down some of the trikes history - ifpossible.

Yusta B. -

You are correct. Keenan Wynn introduced McQueen to the joys of riding Triumphs [according to one of his biographies] on TT tracks and scrambles.

Tull

Good info YB & Tull! McQueen also played and raced with the Ekins brothers - famed racers and stuntmen. Bud Ekins did the famous "Great Escape" jump over the barbed wire fence that Steve was often credited for (and it was a thinly disguised Triumph posing as a Wermacht BMW). :excl:

McQeen became a very accomplished amateur motorcycle racer competing very successfully in SoCal AMA District 37 events including Scrambles, Motocross and Desert Racingm (also in the International Six-Day Trials representing the US!). My alias (Harvey Mushman) was the one McQueen used when he raced in order to stay out of the sights of the studio execs as it was prohibited in his contract.

BTW, for those interested in old racing motorcycles, there is an organization which still conducts races (not a parade) for these bikes in National (and International) vintage bike series. The American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association (www.AHRMA.org) conducts Nationwide series in road race and off road disciplines around the country each year at major and historic tracks including Daytona Speedway, Barber, Miller, Bud's Creek, Glen Helen, VIR, M-O, etc.

The old hand-shift bikes (Harleys and Indians) compete in a separate era class and (for example) we have had up to 28 of them competing at one time at Daytona in the last few years! :o

Fun On Old Wheels!

Harvey

Archived