SASS Wire Forum

Posting scores

Free Bird 61147

So you may very well shoot at a club where one or two or a few folks VOLUNTEER to write scenarios, set-up and paint targets, mow, take in the monies for the match, pay to shoot same as you, then put stuff up after the match and you're gonna bitch about the scores not being posted? Who's GOTTA do it? VOLUNTEER!

That being said, I do appreciate it when they are posted in a timely manner, but I never feel I'm ENTITLED to it.

+1

Step up. Help out.

VOLUNTEER

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like the others, it is important. I like to see how I do against others overall and in my category as well see how I am progressing. Our club has printouts right after we finish and then online within a day or two. Myself I like to download those to the pc to keep instead of the paper.

VERY! It might be the only warning anyone gets of HE77 freezin' over. If I was to beat Goody!

I get the scores emailed to everyone on my mailing list (participants, clubmembers & old clubmembers) the same evening of the match & they get posted to the club's website shortly thereafter.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

It seems as though there are two questions being answered:

1. How important is it to you to have the scores provided to you right after the match in some format, like paper?

2. How important is it to you to have the scores posted on the internet? And do you want them there even if provided in paper form at the shoot?

Or am I misunderstanding some of the responses, with ALL responses calling for posting on the 'net?

Personally, if I get them on paper at the match, I don't care if they are posted on the 'net.

The monthly matches I shoot at after we finish up everybody takes off, there is not a good way to hand out the scores. With scores on the internet I can check them when I get a chance.

Posting scores in a timely manner and adding lots of news, commentary and pictures to a clubs website is very nice. I believe it is a sign that your club is on the ball and very active. I also believe that it helps attract shooters to your club as well. It's all part of promoting the sport and keeping people actively engaged.

The monthly matches I shoot at after we finish up everybody takes off, there is not a good way to hand out the scores. With scores on the internet I can check them when I get a chance.

That's no fun - and yes, scores on the internet is good too. A couple days should be allowed to have the person get them up. If folks want instant satisfaction they should wait until they get printed up after the match - does your club offer lunch afterward? Ours does (unless it's a bare bones match).

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Good number of folks on this thread need to volunteer to tally and post the scores, rather than critisize others. Benifit is,,,, you get to see the results first.

I have helped post scores on a few occassions, and it takes more time than you think to get it done.

I like to see the scores, but I sure will not criticise the fine folks that get that job done, no matter how long it takes them.

Blastmaster

Good number of folks on this thread need to volunteer to tally and post the scores, rather than critisize others. Benifit is,,,, you get to see the results first.

I have helped post scores on a few occassions, and it takes more time than you think to get it done.

I like to see the scores, but I sure will not criticise the fine folks that get that job done, no matter how long it takes them.

Blastmaster

+100%

GG ~ :FlagAm:

One of the clubs I shoot at regularly (The Cowboys of Norco) do an excellent job at getting the scores up for us to see. We shot Sunday and I'll be the scores are going to be on their website by the time I get home tonight.

This has become a game between me and one of the shooters at our club. He lives two hours away. He tries to pack up, get home, fire up his computer and find that the scores have not been posted yet. I usually win. :)

We compete...we should see scores! :D For me the scores are very important... and I like the scoring details (raw time/misses/Ps/etc) ...not just the total time.

Your club's issue me be that they lack someone who knows how to post the scores on a website. If you know how...volunteer! If not, find a friend that you can volunteer! :D

+1

I try to get the Colorado Cowboys' scores posted no later than 6:00 a.m. the day after the match.

Buena suerte,

eGG

Okie,

Now that's what I am talking about, "gamey" score keeping to get scores online, fast as possible. Since 2002 have cut "transition time" to the web down from same day to about 15-20 minutes after the last shot is fired. Score reports in Rank, Time, Printable, Category, Clean Shooters, and extra matches are bundled and uploaded just before the paper printout for awards. Even have it set up so others can 'git er done' on those rare occasions when I cannot be there.

If I could assemble a pard per posse willing to use their SmartPhone to fill out posse private score sheets (already built them on GoogleDocs)........ Well, that "transition time" could be gamed down to less than 5 minutes.

To me, it is first the satisfaction of blessing my pards. Then is knowing there very few "faster" than I....... (har) :rolleyes:

Artic

Howdy

Couldn't care less. I know how many targets I missed, that's all that's important to me.

Haven't even looked yet to see my score at the Great Nor'Easter. Just don't care.

Okie,

Now that's what I am talking about, "gamey" score keeping to get scores online, fast as possible. Since 2002 have cut "transition time" to the web down from same day to about 15-20 minutes after the last shot is fired. Score reports in Rank, Time, Printable, Category, Clean Shooters, and extra matches are bundled and uploaded just before the paper printout for awards. Even have it set up so others can 'git er done' on those rare occasions when I cannot be there.

If I could assemble a pard per posse willing to use their SmartPhone to fill out posse private score sheets (already built them on GoogleDocs)........ Well, that "transition time" could be gamed down to less than 5 minutes.

To me, it is first the satisfaction of blessing my pards. Then is knowing there very few "faster" than I....... (har) :rolleyes:

Artic

I can see it now, categories for scorekeepers. :lol: There will be Internet at the Range, No Internet at the Range, and the ever popular 'What is a computer?' category. ;) You must have Internet at your range.

It's VERY imp to me!!

I guess I'm spoilt cuz Grayhair gits it dun within hours of a shoot! Any match that is computer scored should have the scores posted within a couple days, if not hours. Major matches should be within hours of awards. everyone wants to know the scores of large matches even if they wernt thar!

Cheyenne :unsure:

I can see it now, categories for scorekeepers. :lol: There will be Internet at the Range, No Internet at the Range, and the ever popular 'What is a computer?' category. ;) You must have Internet at your range.

No more categories! :wacko:

'What is a computer?' may be a valid question soon. iPads, iPods, Smart Phones and Spreadsheets at GoogleDocs could make that a reality right now, right now I say!

For the last couple years, our match director at Logans Ferry has brought his Sprint card and connected it to the computer he brings for scoring. Before that, clear back to 2006, I would transfer the scores to my laptop, right at the range. Then used my cell phone as a modem to upload the scores just after awards. Still use that method for the PA State shoot when I upload scores for the state match. Last couple years, I have had everything ready while all those state champ awards are given out. Soon as the Top Shooter is awarded, I open up the link and voila.... scores are posted. (It dawned on me that those who had Smart Phones would know some things too soon) :ph34r:

Artic

Thank you to all that responded. Within 12 hours of my post, the scores from July 10 and July 23 mysteriously appeared on the club's website.

Getting the scores posted depends on several factors.

First, they have to be entered. Sometimes that takes a bit since all folks need to finish shooting.

At most places I've shot, they pass around a few score sheets but there are not enough for everyone. But everyone can see if they want.

Then they have to have access to the web site.

Many clubs do not have access to the internet at the shoot. So who ever posts the scores has to go where they have access.

At some clubs, the cowboys do not necessarily have access to post the scores to the web. In that case, they have to send the scores to the web master.

The vast majority of folks I shoot with want to see the scores, whether they are competing for the top, or competing with some pards or only with themselves. And they want to see more than merely the total time or even total time for each stage. They like to see total time, misses and other penalties. For a sample of the format I use and have seen many others use essentially the same., see

http://www.gacowboy.com/Scores.html

Unfortunately, the SASS scoring program does not do that very well, so a little tweaking is required. The program does a great summary of total time, but does not include misses, P's etc. It does have a more complete "detailed" output but the format is lacking and the data is spread out so that it is much harder to compare shooters. So a good formatted score sheet takes just a little time to do.

So it is not surprising that some clubs cannot have the scores posted until the next day.

One only has to go to the Affiliated Clubs section of theSASS web site and browse the web sites of cowboy clubs to realize that the computer literacy that exist within clubs varies greatly. Sometimes clubs do not even have a web site. The simple odds are that the larger clubs will be more likely to have the talent within their club to have a web site and post scores accordingly. How fast they do that, as has already been pointed out, has many variables. Personally, I want to see the scores as soon as possible.

With that said: Any club that thinks they cannot make a hard copy (not online) of scores available within a short period of time after the match so shooters can see scores before they leave needs to contact me. I have a system that is proven. "Short period of time" is 1 minute or less per shooter. It can be much less.

quote name='Marauder SASS #13056' timestamp='1311885545' post='2235138']

Getting the scores posted depends on several factors.

First, they have to be entered. Sometimes that takes a bit since all folks need to finish shooting.

At most places I've shot, they pass around a few score sheets but there are not enough for everyone. But everyone can see if they want.

Then they have to have access to the web site.

Many clubs do not have access to the internet at the shoot. So who ever posts the scores has to go where they have access.

At some clubs, the cowboys do not necessarily have access to post the scores to the web. In that case, they have to send the scores to the web master.

The vast majority of folks I shoot with want to see the scores, whether they are competing for the top, or competing with some pards or only with themselves. And they want to see more than merely the total time or even total time for each stage. They like to see total time, misses and other penalties. For a sample of the format I use and have seen many others use essentially the same., see

http://www.gacowboy.com/Scores.html

Unfortunately, the SASS scoring program does not do that very well, so a little tweaking is required. The program does a great summary of total time, but does not include misses, P's etc. It does have a more complete "detailed" output but the format is lacking and the data is spread out so that it is much harder to compare shooters. So a good formatted score sheet takes just a little time to do.

So it is not surprising that some clubs cannot have the scores posted until the next day.

I'm wondering how many have looked at the website I created for posting scores which I brought up earlier on this thread. Anyone who can enter numbers into a form on a website can post the scores. Only the raw data needs to be entered. The website does all the calculating for you and presents the results in 8 different ways, even computes rank scoring. All the data for the overall match is presented in several different ways and also complete details for each stage.

And it's all FREE. Also, you don't even need to have your own website to use this service.

Here's a link directly to the website

Cowboyactionscoring.com

And here's a link to the scores for my club, the Bigfork Buscaderos

Bigfork Buscaderos

Sage Creek Gus

in summary it appears that

A> folks want to see scores

B> scores are done by volenteers, and put on web sites or mailed out by more volenteers

C> a very low % seem to:::::::: not give a dam::::::: bout scores

what am I missing

how many more pages LOL can this go :lol: :lol:

it must me 110 in the shade these past few days

cuz it aint winter yet B)

I'm wondering how many have looked at the website I created for posting scores which I brought up earlier on this thread. Anyone who can enter numbers into a form on a website can post the scores. Only the raw data needs to be entered. The website does all the calculating for you and presents the results in 8 different ways, even computes rank scoring. All the data for the overall match is presented in several different ways and also complete details for each stage.

And it's all FREE. Also, you don't even need to have your own website to use this service.

Here's a link directly to the website

Cowboyactionscoring.com

And here's a link to the scores for my club, the Bigfork Buscaderos

Bigfork Buscaderos

Sage Creek Gus

Good point, Gus!

That is a big help for those without a standard program, ready access or the knowledge to tweak.

All they need to do is access your web page.

in summary it appears that

A> folks want to see scores

B> scores are done by volenteers, and put on web sites or mailed out by more volenteers

C> a very low % seen to:::::::: not give a dam::::::: bout scores

what am I missing

how many more pages LOL can this go :lol: :lol:

it must me 110 in the shade these past few days

cuz it aint winter yet B)

Trust us, Mike!

We Can Do It!!! :D

Use my system to do the on-range tabulation and use Sage Creek Gus's web site to post them and suddenly the impossible becomes possible.

If my system fails to make scores known by category faster than any computer program out there, I'll give you double your money back.

Discalimer: Offer only applies to total time scoring and double your money back is calculated by multiplying free times two. :)

Trust us, Mike!

We Can Do It!!! :D

Marauder,

You bet we can do it! Maybe we should form an informal group called something like Society of Gamey Scorekeepers (SOGS)and keep this post going until we encourage and entice others to join in and take scoring to even greater heights. You were one of those who, by your selfless example, have been a great encouragement to me to press in, excel, and get down right gamey to make things better for my pards and all of SASS.

Artic

I shoot at any of 6 local clubs. Two or three are VERY good and timely with the info. The others, well, yous haves some splainings to doos.

I know some are more LAZY than others to post online, so if there is even a print out after the awards, Id like to see it.

I'm a competitive guy, mostly against myself, but I like to see the overalls, and in particular the extras

I'm a competitive guy, mostly against myself, but I like to see the overalls, and in particular the extras

Here is a guy who asked for change and got it. He wanted extras posted on the web site (we only put the main match scores). Another person wanted clean shooters posted. We listened. Now we do all three. And that sorry Margarita never even poured me one. ^_^:lol:

Archived