SASS Wire Forum

New to CAS

Guest fxk3760

This thread brings an article in the most recent Cowboy Chronicles to mind - where the author was expressing concern over the small number of young people in this sport and the need for all of us to actively recruit young people, because all of us old farts will die out and this sport along with us unless we do.

The cost of getting fully outfitted for SASS is a huge obstacle to probably most young people who are typically just starting their careers and struggling financially. This makes the wonderful attitudes and generosity expressed above by the responses to this post so important. That attitude needs to be a core attitude in this game, and apparently it is, and that is refreshing for me to see!

I am relatively new to SASS, and was/am lucky enough to be in good enough financial shape to be able to fully outfit myself without reliance on such help, so I had not experienced it first-hand. It is indeed refreshing to see all of the encouraging replies to this post and to this struggling new SASS member!

Guest Crosscut Hardy SASS # 54701

WELCOME TO SASS "new cowboy" and right on what Buck D. Law said,

do not get in a big hurry buying guns until you are sure what

you want; mistake I made, BUT everybody needs more guns anyway.

Reading through all the replies to this new shooter nearly brings tears to my eyes.

I am so proud to be part of an organization that is full of truly wonderful generous people.

It amazed me how willing people were to let us borrow expensive guns. We had to borrow everything for a long time. We slowly purchased our own stuff.... still shared a rig, one set of pistols, one rifle (a Marlin), one old clunky shotgun. Now we both have 2 sets of everything. We aren't using any of the first guns we purchased except for backups.

To any new shooter I would say... don't let lack of equipment keep you out of the game. Just make sure you offer to pay for ammo that folks give you. They may not take it but at least offer.

Like Momma always says, "What goes around comes around" :->

The Cowboy Way

Archived