SASS Wire Forum

New to CAS

Guest fxk3760

Guest fxk3760

How do you get into cowboy action shooting if you don't have enough money to buy all of the guns and equipment that you need? I am interested in doing this but was dismayed to see that I would need 2 pistols, a rifle and a shotgun. I just saved enough money to purchase 1 Uberti 1873 cattleman. It will be a while before I would have enough to purchase more. What do other people do? I can't imagine that everyone is able to jump right in and purchase everything they need. Thanks.

How do you get into cowboy action shooting if you don't have enough money to buy all of the guns and equipment that you need? I am interested in doing this but was dismayed to see that I would need 2 pistols, a rifle and a shotgun. I just saved enough money to purchase 1 Uberti 1873 cattleman. It will be a while before I would have enough to purchase more. What do other people do? I can't imagine that everyone is able to jump right in and purchase everything they need. Thanks.

Howdy,

Welcome to the fire, I suggest going to a couple local matches checking things bring what you have, there always seem to be someone willing to let you use their guns so you can enjoy the game.

KK

Howdy,

Welcome to the fire, I suggest going to a couple local matches checking things bring what you have, there always seem to be someone willing to let you use their guns so you can enjoy the game.

KK

Yep.. welcome to the fire...

At most local matches.. there are always good cowpolks that would lend you guns..Pretty sure at our clubs anyhow...

The biggest issue is loaning all the ammo for a 6 stage match.. a feller might do it once or twice.. but sooner or later it's gonna become a pain..

Only place I'm picky is if someone is using my rifle... use my ammo... you already have a rifle, so your good to go there...

Buy you some low charged shot gun shells (probably a couple boxes of 12 gauge) and some pistol ammo, and more than likely no one would shy away from helping you get started

l've taken off my holsters & shotgun belt.. loaned them to newbies quite a few times, loaned them pistols and shotguns and rifles.. again.. just use my ammo in my rifle..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' yer gonna be OK.

Oh yeah.. it would be a good idea to find you an experienced shooter to partner up with.. he can show you the ropes and usually be right about what he's showin. ya

It can be an expensive propisition to get started, but as already stated, just show up and most pards will be stuffing guns in your hands to give a try. Another option is to check out on the classified forum here on SASS NET for used equipment. You can rest assured that while there is always a very SLIM chance of problems, for the most part ALL THE FOLKS HERE ON THE WIRE ARE GOOD TO DO BUISNESS WITH. You can normally find something that will get you going, at good prices and build up your armory a piece at a time. Most of all welcome to the campfire and have fun.

The mistake a lot of people make is to go out and buy some guns, then later find out the guns they bought aren't very good. That's because the person doesn't know what's best for them because there are so many to choose from. And of course price is a big factor.

The best advice you will get here will be to go to some shoots, even if you don't have everything you need. Others will be glad to loan you stuff. Try all the different pistols and rifles and shotguns until you know exactly what you want. A lot of times someone will have guns or leather gear they no longer use and you can get things very cheaply.

Welcome to the fun, you will enjoy it like nothing else. You will meet a lot of great folks and have a good time.

We even have a couple of members that will loan a set of guns until you can buy your own.

I knew I wanted to shoot CAS for quite awhile before I got out for my first shoot. In my case it was a combination of factors that kept me from getting out there. I used that time to slowly pick up the items I needed. By the time I set foot on the firing line the first time, I had everything except a gun cart and something other than a pocket for shotgun shells. A pard by the handle of Dirty Chris loaned me space on his cart, and I just dug the shells out of my shirt pocket. I'm waiting on something for my shotgun shells at the moment, and building my own gun cart.

As for the advice to try ut as many different pistols, rifles and shotguns as people will loan you, I would second that, with a caveat. You may find, like I have, that getting out there and shooting is your first goal. My guns were not overly expensive to me, but not cheap either. They are of recognized reasonable quality. Not the highest by some standards, but not junk either. They aren't slicked up yet, but they get the job done. Everything doesn't need to be exactly what you dream of to get out there shooting.

I would also second what was said about the Wire. I've purchased several things just by virtue of being a member here, and I've been very happy with the result.

The advise given so far is right on:

1. Contact your local club(s)

2. Go to their shoots

3. Try a lot of different revolvers

4. Decide what guns you'd really like

5. Get the guns

6. Keep going to the monthly matches

7. Be safe and have fun.

Need to put where you from on your profile.Someone would contact you.If you are in My area I can loan you guns.

Cowboy action shooters are a friendly bunch that will help you all they can. From advise to hardware loaned.

If you are serious about getting in to cowboy action shooting, you might think about going in to your profile and include your location. A town and state will do. Then those who are in your area will contact you here on the wire with local advise on where the various clubs are and when they shoot so you can visit and most likely get involved as you collect the needed hardware.

And it was said and is very sound advise, go to a few matches and talk with the people there before buying any more guns. There are guns that are legal for the game but they will not preform up or hold up to the use we give them. Yes maybe the guns needed are a little more expensive than others but you will not be paying to have them repaired or be replacing them any time soon if you choose the guns we know can handle what we do with them.

Welcome to a life style. Cowboy Action Shooting.

Guest fxk3760

Thank you to everyone who replied. I have used other forums before and never had this fast of a response. I will update my profile as some have suggested. I have found a local club and will contact them. Thanks again for great advice.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cowboy Action Shooting. The most important thing is to keep it simple and GET INVOLVED. All clubs need help. Don't plan on shooting for the first few matches. You can go a long way by volunteering to help set-up or clean-up or by being a brass picker. At the same time you'll get to know folks and explain what you want to do. There will be many willing to help.

Getting into some form of reloading as soon as possible, will go a long way to helping you get some shooting done. Most cowboy cartridges are a bit pricy when you buy factory ammo. You'll generally need 120 rnds. of rifle/pistol ammo per match. Generally, one 25 rnd box of shotgun shells will do (I haven't started reloading them yet because I've found too many good sales).

Best wishes,

--Ranger Dave

Hi. That's a good choice of rifle, there, Pard.

If I wanted thus to get involved, I'd make my own cart out of plywood from Home Depot (which I did the first time with Painless), wear my SASS duds, bring my rifle and all my SASS stuff, and go to the club and get involved. I'd work, help, something, just to be there.

Sometimes someone will loan you some guns for a shoot. But I'd personally rather not shoot others guns, and just be there. In time, the guns will come, and you'll know what to do.

Me? If I were at a shoot, and if Aliens from Outer Space took my revolvers and my shotgun—which they might do, after I watch "COWBOYS AND ALIENS" this Friday in the movies—I'd probably just shoot the stage anyway but only the rifle part! Ha! :lol: My score wouldn't mean anything, but I'm there to have fun! :o:P:lol:

Howdy and Welcome Pard,

You've got most of the information you need. Even if you don't shoot right away, you can still hang out at the match learning the ropes and, if they do so (we do), go to lunch with the gang. You will feel very comfortable (most clubs are very welcoming to new folks) by the time you shoot that first match.

I know you will have fun.

Regards,

Allie Mo

You've found a local club so it looks like you're on your way. Welcome to the fun Amigo. :D

Let everyone know how things go with the club. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the club members are regulars here. The Uberti Cattleman is a good pistol. I have two, and like them.

I thought a Cattleman was a ;pistol. .. ?

where are ya from,Pard ? there are clubs all over these great United States,and every one I"ve shot at has been a good 'un .

You are correct the money to play our game goes fast on acquiring the guns,leather,etc. another thing to mention,I'd not be able to play if I hadn't gotten into reloading ammo for my .45's.

Hope you join us,we have a fun time every time.

Looks like I'm late to the party, others have already said much of what I would have.

In my car at every shoot is extra leather, and ammo enough for another shooter. That way I'm ready to help out a new shooter, as I was helped out when I started.

When I started had none of the required guns nor the leather. Folks loaned me their guns and gave me ammo to shoot. This continued as I slowly acquired the guns. After my first match I was hooked and found stuff I could sell off so I could buy the guns I needed, but it still took a while.

For what it's worth, I think it is good form to offer and be ready to pay for ammo, especially if you need to 'borrow' some more than once. The offer will likely be declined, but still good form to make the offer. You might pick up a bunch of boxes of Win AA low noise low recoil (formerly known as featherlites) shotgun shells to give folks in return for given ammo.

As others have said, if you use my guns, use my ammo. That way in the unlikely event there is a problem caused by the ammo, I know it's my fault, not that of some unknown ammo you brought.

Welcome, hang on and enjoy the ride!

Grizz

People see 73 and they automatically think rifle. He bought an entry-level revolver folks not the most expensive rifle of all the rifles we use for this game. The way it sounds I doubt he will be able to afford a 73 rifle anytime soon.

There is no dirt cheap way to do this sport. It is what it is. The SASS Wire Classifieds forum located elsewhere on this site is hands down the cheapest way to go about buying the tools and leather required.

Doc Ward and Throcmorton are right, the Cattleman is a pistol. I'm just appauled at how many seasoned cowboys didn't know that. I guess the mere mention of 1873 automatically conjured up the visual of a side plate Winchester. Honestly, I looked at that twice before I was sure the Guest meant a pistol. :rolleyes:

Anyway, you're doing the right thing by talking to CAS shooters before buying. When I decided to make the switch from Civil War reenacting to cowboy, I was embarassed to ask to borrow anything. So, I waited until I sold enought other toys and could buy my own. That was a mistake. I wound up relacing every gun I had except for the shotgun. I just lucked out on that decision.

I won't mention WHAT guns I bought and didn't like, since there are many fans of those very guns here on the wire. There wasn't anything really WRONG with any of them, except that durn rifle that was a reproduction of something first made after 1891. It's just my first guns were bought based on price and they simply weren't for me.

You can't go wrong with the Cattleman, it's a really good gun. In fact, the best six gun I ever had was a well broke in Cattleman I got from a pawn shop for $150. In a moment of weakness, *hic*!, I gave it to my bro-in-law who was just starting out in CAS and loved that pistol. Yeah, cowboys are generous, but that was TOO generous. I'm gonna catch him drinkin' heavily one of these days and Indian give it.

Well, Guest (we don't even know your gender), if you're in the North Georgia area, stop by River Bend on the first Saturday of any month and you'll get to shoot. A lot of times, we have a "Fun" shoot on the Sunday following the second Saturday (figger that 'un out) which is a no pressure, no scoring organized, group practice. That's a good one to start out on.

Welcome to your new addiction. It may be a tad expensive, but, it's cheaper than bail money.

Rufus

I know two people in my club who showed up for their first match with all three guns. Everyone else accumulated their equipment over time. When I showed up for my first match I brought ammo. I didn't own any cowboy guns and no appropriate clothes. Because I had corresponded with the match director beforehand he put the word out and other club members fixed me up with holsters and guns. I kept borrowing guns as I was saving up and buying my own stuff piece by piece. It took me a full year to get my own stuff.

Some folks did ask me to shoot their ammo in their guns. This is fair and I've done the same. I offered to pay for ammo or to buy components to repay what I shot. I think that is polite but the offers were politely declined. Everyone said, "people helped me when I was starting out". I have tried to "pay it forward" by sharing with the new shooters. Only problem is there are always four or five people ahead of me lending guns and giving away ammo.

Early on I identified the equipment requirements as the biggest barrier to entry for new shooters. Ironically it is also an opportunity for clubs to show what makes cowboy shooting such a great sport: the cameraderie of the cowboy shooting community.

I'll echo what other folks have said about not buying guns before coming out. Come out with whatever you have. If you have one gun, bring it. If you have ammo, bring that. Bring a good attitude and be willing to pitch in. It takes a lot of work to run a cowboy match and a set of willing hands is always welcome.

Ask if a club near you offers a "new shooter's clinic" or a "practice day". That is a great way to meet some folks and learn the ropes outside of an actual match. If not, it may be that a local match director can put you in touch with a club member who has practice targets. Some clubs will assign you a mentor. If they don't have a program, ask if someone will mentor you.

Welcome and have fun.

where do you live? (general location.) if you are anywhere in SoCal, get in touch with me....

Me and Old Top help new shooter all the time. We have had a couple of folks shoot with us that didn't have any of their gunz for months. We have plenty of gear (gunz holsters etc.....)

One thing with Cowboys/girls....They will offer you everything they have...Offer to pay for ammo, most will decline...some may be just in bad enough shape financially that they could use the help.

Also respect their "oddities"...I will let you shoot any gun I have but I insist on using MY ammo. That way if the gun is damaged it is my fault and not yours...

You can offer to pay me for my ammo, but I am in a situation right now that I don't need it so I will tell you to save it for your "kit"....

Get with us...you don't need to wait til you have everything...have some fun NOW.

(I am serious if you are SoCal and want to shoot get in touch.

curley

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Guest_fxk3760_*

I can certainly relate to where you're at.

I have been going through basically the same challenge, but there is one difference between us ... I already knew guns extremely well, have been shooting for over 45 years. Yes, I'm an "old fart". Your apparent unfamiliarity with the guns raises one red-flag issue that all of us should take into account ... a SASS shoot is NOT the place to learn to handle firearms! I am not accusing you of anything, or saying that's the category that you're in, but if you do happen to be in that category, I would strongly suggest that you get some good solid basic firearms training, with the emphasis on SAFETY, somewhere other than at a SASS shoot.

Other than that, GO FOR IT!

But be prepared to spend some serious money before all is said and done.

Personally I have at least five grand invested, probably more. Guns, gun leather, clothes, cart, ammo, etc. But I happen to be one picky S.O.B. when it comes to my guns. ALL of them are absolute top-notch guns, ALL of them have had the best custom gunsmithing done to them, ALL of my pistols (3) have custom grips. I shoot two original Ruger Vaqueros in 44 magnum (44 special) and have a Uberti Cattleman (brass frame) in 45 Colt as a backup in case one of my trusty Rugers gets a tummy ache at a match.

The more you shoot, the more you will migrate to be just like me in that regard. If you buy cheap guns, without knowing for certain what you want and what you are getting, you will be throwing a lot of money down a rat hole. That cheap gun may be fun for a shoot or two, but it won't take long before you start wanting something better ... and better ... and better. For instance, a stock Uberti Cattleman is a fine gun, and you made a good choice there. But mine has $250.00 worth of custom grips (tailor made to fit my hand) and $290.00 worth of Bob Munden tuning done to it. Ditto for both of my Rugers. Ditto for my Uberti 1873 rifle, Rossi 1892 rifle and Baikal shotgun.

I don't want to dissuade you, but this sport is just like any other. Skiing is a good comparison. There are cheap skis and boots, and there are good skis and boots ... and the best ones are not cheap.

Patience, Grasshopper. It took me quite a while to save up. It's worth the wait. Borrow guns until then.

Show up get to know folks, ask them about CAS, loads, guns, gear, etc. Offer to help out. Never buy before you go to a few matches. You don't need to buy new and you need to be real patient if you lack the cash. Reloading makes the match ammo more affordable.

Thank you to everyone who replied. I have used other forums before and never had this fast of a response. I will update my profile as some have suggested. I have found a local club and will contact them. Thanks again for great advice.

Get use to it it........lol When you shoot cowboy action you won't find a better group of folks and that what makes it even better. Just git to the first match in your area and everything will fall in place.

Black Hawks make a good entry gun or, as you may choose, a permanent part of your arsenal.

It definately is an expensive sport to get started in. I believe that is the main obstacle in getting new people to join. When you compare the cost of two revolvers, a rifle, a shotgun, a rig (gun belt, holsters, shotgun belt), clothing, and a gun cart to the start-up cost of some other shooting sports where you only need a pistol, a holster, and a couple of mag pouches, the cost difference is overwhelming. It certainly doesn't help that most of the guns are not considered competition ready right out of the box, so you have gunsmithing fees (or parts fees if you do the work yourself) on top of that.

The big attraction of CAS is that it is the friendliest and most inclusive shooting sport out there. I can't think of another sport where an 85 year old man and a 9 year old girl can compete side by side, or where a state champion will freely give advice to newcomers. You don't need to have all of the equipment to start- someone will be happy to lend you what you need.

My wife and I started shooting last December. I don't even want to know how much money we have spent on equipment since then, but we were fortunate enough to be in the financial position to do so. I can say that, for us, it was money well spent. We have met a lot of really great people through CAS.

Keep your eyes and ears open - what with the economy, I've made some damn good purchases lately - ANIB 20" Hartford 1892 .45 Colt for $350, new 5 1/2" Uberti Cattleman Gunfighter .45 Colt on closeout at a retail store for $227.49, pawn shop pre-safety Marlin 1894c .357 for $249, etc. Pawn shops, yard sales, nickel papers, people with bills to pay - the deals are still out there now and then.

Archived