SASS Wire Forum

Anacondas and Piranhas

Aunt Jen

Unfortunately, NOTHING!

Florida is over-run with once-pet snakes and iguanas. Also many lakes have been found with pirana's, and have to be "cleared".

Unfortunately, NOTHING!

Florida is over-run with once-pet snakes and iguanas. Also many lakes have been found with pirana's, and have to be "cleared".

How can you clear a lake of piranhas? Or snakes, for that matter. You may think you got them all, but if you missed one pregnant one....

Trying to clear Florida of Anacondas seems hopeless to me. I see programs about snake catchers down there. Catching GREAT BIG snakes. If there are enough of them around to get THAT BIG . . and are obviously breeding MORE SNAKES . . then the snakes are there to STAY.

I saw dat show called "River Monsters."

In it they showed fresh water sting rays up to 1000 # in a South American river.

Now, somehow, someone has gotten one of dem critters and brought it over here.

When it got to big, dis person is said to have turned it lose in one of dem rivers down in Fla.

Aint gonin' swinin' in no river in Fla !! :blink:

Florida and many other states are over run with exotics. Pythons, boas, iquanas, monkeys, cane toads, and numerous plant species come to mind. Plus its overflowing wild hogs. A bunch of young boys with .22 rifles, aka 50 years ago, could sure put a dent if they had access. Never happen now.

I noriced on a drive on an interstate across south Florida, that there were large chain link fences along the sides of the road. To keep critters over there, over there, and not over here?

And is there any spread of these critters elsewhere in the country?

I don't know about Anacondas, but there is a large breeding population of Burmese Pythons in the Everglades. They've been trying to get rid of them for years, but I doubt there's much they can do at this point.

Most of the invasive species are climate limited. Pythons and Anacondas don't fare too well in the cold. Pirhanna aren't strong swimmers and usually stay in still water. They wouldn't survive through a winter cold enough to freeze a lake. One notable exception is the Asian carp. Those things seem to be able to live anywhere.

AJ , when I was in South America , a few years back , I never saw a Anaconda , but I saw along the mud on the river bank where one had been.

I measured the width as best I could and it measured 4ft, 9inches wide !!!

Don't much think if it gets here, no snake in Fla stands a chance.

Oh-eeeee-ah! Jees! No. It makes me love the Desert more and more, because I can see what's around me better. I'm fearing going into the woods more and more, because I don't know what's around me.

Would all you hunters please move to Florida and clean the place out???

AJ

In some places down there,

They encourage folks to use high-powered AIR rifles to control the big snakes :unsure:

Theys afraid ah folks wid real guns.

One of dem big snakes slither around me,

It's both barrels of 12 gauge baby :lol:

One arm of the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri has a population of Piranhas.

When I worked for the Park Service in Florida we spent millions on exotic species control. The Malaleuca trees have dried up thousands of acres of Everglades. The wild hogs tear up farmlands, roadsides and natural habitat. There are thousands of species of exotic plants and animals that are changing the environment in the United States. They have few natural enemies and reproduce rapidly. The danger from big snakes and piranhas is small. The real problem lies in native plants and animals being pushed toward extinction as the exotic pests take over. Out west cheatgrass and Russian thistle takes over pastures and bark beetles are killing the Aspen and Ponderosa. Asian Carp, Snakeheads, Pythons, tiger snails, Brazillian Pepper, etc, etc, etc. I'm afraid many areas won't be recognizable for what they once were in a few years. Take your pictures now folks. :(

Why only one arm? I'd think they'd become the king fish and take over the whole lake?

It seems the natural temperature of that arm is a few degrees higher than the rest of the lake.

http://fishfeet2007.blogspot.com/2007/05/snake-explodes-after-swallowing.html

a 4m long Burmese Python burst after swallowing a 2m long alligator. It was thought that the alligator used its claws to break out.

I'm sorry the aligator died in the eating, but I'm glad he clawed the python up before he died. The alligator likely succumbed to lack of oxygen in the stomach? I detest the crushing and eating thing, and I think such snakes should find a new line of work.

CUDOS on the Alligator! Good for him. Never give up. :excl:

I'm sorry the aligator died in the eating, but I'm glad he clawed the python up before he died. The alligator likely succumbed to lack of oxygen in the stomach? I detest the crushing and eating thing, and I think such snakes should find a new line of work.

CUDOS on the Alligator! Good for him. Never give up. :excl:

Constrictors don't actually crush. They just squeeze so tight the prey is asphyxiated.

Not that it matters if you're the meal.

In its unique dumb fashion, the govt, of protecting our natural species in the Glades decided to study snakes of other countries. Almost like Los Alamos near a large city, they brought in over 800 snakes and where do you think they decided to study them, thats right,they built a small, shody hut like dwelling in the middle of the Glades with all those snakes.

Then one day, a friend of ours came to Florida to visit, its name was ANDREW. They left that house and ran away and when they came back the dwelling was gone, except for the floor.

Years later naturally when them BIG ones started appearing, the govt said, we have to stop allowing those people from letting their pets go in the Glades. B)

Snakes and Gators are going to be the least of your worries if you travel into the glades. Gators usually don't bother you and I've never heard of anyone getting harmed by an Anaconda (in the wild) in Florida. You will be eaten alive by Mosquito's and other biting insects. If, for some reason, you get disoriented and lost in the Glades, you'll die from dehydration quickly without water. As far as "exotic" species, we sure have 'em. I once captured a toad that was as big as a Chiwawa (sp?). It was native to South America and had escaped from a zoo in Tarpon Springs. No one had believed me when I told them about the giant toads around Lake Tarpon, finally I had one to show them. Took him back the next day and let him go.

Oh-eeeee-ah! Jees! No. It makes me love the Desert more and more, because I can see what's around me better. I'm fearing going into the woods more and more, because I don't know what's around me. AJ

Don't forget about the zombies too!

One arm of the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri has a population of Piranhas.

Did the other arm get chewed off?

In Oklahoma City a few years back we a had kid fishing one of those small drainage control ponds in a housing addition catch a pirrahna that weigh close to 1.5 pounds. They figured someone must have let a pet go (begs the question how they had one as they are a controlled species). It would not have survived the cold when winter hit, but still answers the OP's question.

I think we are overlooking an interesting opportunity here.

In light of our burdened economy, we could start a revolution in footwear, belts, and ladies handbags.

Snake skins are prized hides, as I recall, and if we could find a way to sell China Fish and Chips for their menu, we could turn this thing around in no time. Fill those containers with dead fish and send them back to China to balance the trade deficit. Nike and their rubber shoes might complain about the skins, but hey, give them a Starbucks and it will shut their mouf.

Remember when you could go for a swim in the river or lake and enjoy the day? Are those times going to disappear because we don't know if there's a piranha or man-eating snake around?

AJ, you can swim anywhere in the Great Lakes and not hafta worry about critters that'll eat ya. Lake Erie has some pretty nice beaches too, if only for maybe 5 months of the year. :) Rye

AJ, you can swim anywhere in the Great Lakes and not hafta worry about critters that'll eat ya. Lake Erie has some pretty nice beaches too, if only for maybe 5 months of the year. :) Rye

Yeah,

I remember walking ON Lake Erie a couple years ago --- in January :lol: :lol:

No snakes to be seen though.

Archived