SASS Wire Forum

1911 Magazine question

McCandless

Getting my "stuff" together to shoot WB side matches. I picked up a 1911, and I'm going to buy some spare magazines... Just wanted to know little bit about them. I'm going to pick up some McCormicks. For our 5 round WB loads, would there be any difference in reliability between the 7 and 8 round magazines?

thanks,

McC

Getting my "stuff" together to shoot WB side matches. I picked up a 1911, and I'm going to buy some spare magazines... Just wanted to know little bit about them. I'm going to pick up some McCormicks. For our 5 round WB loads, would there be any difference in reliability between the 7 and 8 round magazines?

thanks,

McC

I've found the McCormick mags to be very reliable. I use 8 round ones because I usually carry the 1911 daily and an extry round couldn't hurt, With 5 rounds either will function well.

I've found the McCormick mags to be very reliable. I use 8 round ones because I usually carry the 1911 daily and an extry round couldn't hurt, With 5 rounds either will function well.

+1

I had been using McCormicks but recently bought mags from Tripps Research.

The Tripps are WAY better than the McCormicks.

Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Is this the one that used to be so popular and was referred to as the shooting star mag? If so, did Colt actually use these packaged as standard with their pistols back in the 90s? Who offers the best deal on McCormicks eight round mags in blue?

Is this the one that used to be so popular and was referred to as the shooting star mag? If so, did Colt actually use these packaged as standard with their pistols back in the 90s? Who offers the best deal on McCormicks eight round mags in blue?

McCormick makes a few models, but the one that is Wild Bunch legal is the Shooting Star model. Some other models in their line have a plastic, extends-below-grip-frame, base plate that is not allowed.

Check Midway, if they are not today's best prices, they are at least discounted.

"That used to be so popular" - they still are "so popular". I replace the internals with Tripp spring and follower as soon as the original internals start to get the least bit hinky.

Good luck, GJ

McCormick makes a few models, but the one that is Wild Bunch legal is the Shooting Star model.

Check Midway, if they are not today's best prices, they are at least discounted.

That's where I got my McCormick Shooting Star 8-round mags and they've worked flawlessly in my Colt 1911. I'm new to 1911's but I'm pretty sure they work well in the other brands too. Others can chime with more experience.

I don't remember seeing 7-round mags on Midway's site.

Morning Duck,

Take a look at these. I have a number of them and they have given me no problem in any of the 5 1911s I have used them in. Plus they are inexpensive and sturdy.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG270-36.html

Next on the list are these:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG282-36.html

Carolina Jack

1911 shooters in other disciplines (IDPA and IPSC mostly) use Wilson mags. These are top quality. They also have material removed where it would typically be a potential drag due to grip screws set too deeply. These Wilson mags are also specified by many special ops law enforcement as the very best. They are pricey, but not so much when considering how much it costs to shoot multipe-day matches where WB is most popular.

The Wilson "Service mags" aren't made by Wilson. They have a bunch of problems. Most high end shooters in IPSC/USPSA and IDPA and moving from Wilson mags(which were the standard for years) to the new Tripp magazines.

The Wilson "Service mags" aren't made by Wilson. They have a bunch of problems. Most high end shooters in IPSC/USPSA and IDPA and moving from Wilson mags(which were the standard for years) to the new Tripp magazines.

That's good information, thanks! I was looking at them, but now i'm not!

:FlagAm:

Archived