SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch Poll ...

John Boy

" As you know, we use bolt actions, rifle caliber levers, various handguns, shotguns, and pistol caliber rifles, cowboy and non-cowboy."

How do you manage to be able to use bolt actions, rifle caliber leverguns when so many people think that those shooting big bore 44 or 45's, loaded well within SASS guidlelines, will damage their targets? Special super duper targets? Of course, the same targets are often used for plainsman matches and 45-70's but again people will worry about someone shooting a fairly stout 45 Colt on the same target. Smokin Gator

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gator, the rifle caliber targets are at about 90 yards, a full size buffalo and a full size bear, which keeps the action in it. We only allow lead bullets, gas checks OK, and encourage shooters to keep the velocity down, just as SASS does with long range ammo. I know not all cowboy ranges will accommodate targets that far out, but it works for us and is a lot of fun. It takes 5 guns to shoot a stage: main match rifle and pistol, bolt action OR lever action rifle caliber, shotgun, and either a semi auto (1911, Luger, broomhandle, etc) OR a double action revolver (1917, Webley, pencil barrel, etc).

Adding some distance does make it a little easier on the targets. Still, I have seen it where someone can shoot ammo out of there rifle and it is not perceived to be a hot load (no worry about target damage) and then when the same ammo is shot out of a revolver (at lower velocity) some will think it's too hot and will damage the targets. It's good to see individual clubs shooting something different when you get enough shooters who want to do it. Smokin Gator

What Newt has decribed is how most Wild Bunch matches in the New England area are run. The only varients I can recall is that some clubs have a 1 auto or 2 DA revolvers, and others have an any two pistols rule. Some do allow for the rifle caliber cartridge, some require it. We don't use both a main match and rifle caliber rifle, but if you are using a rifle caliber long gun, you have the option of reloading, or using two rifles if the one won't hold 10 rounds. (Which makes WW1 era SMLE very popular) Or just use your main match rifle that holds 10 anyway.

And yes, the rifle targets are usally farther out than a normal SASS match. Not 90 yards, (but that would be fun!) and folks do download the things to lower velocities to avoid damage.

When all is said done, best way to do WB is very simple. Have fun!

Gator, the rifle caliber targets are at about 90 yards, a full size buffalo and a full size bear, which keeps the action in it. We only allow lead bullets, gas checks OK, and encourage shooters to keep the velocity down, just as SASS does with long range ammo. I know not all cowboy ranges will accommodate targets that far out, but it works for us and is a lot of fun. It takes 5 guns to shoot a stage: main match rifle and pistol, bolt action OR lever action rifle caliber, shotgun, and either a semi auto (1911, Luger, broomhandle, etc) OR a double action revolver (1917, Webley, pencil barrel, etc).

That sounds like a blast! I have a Webley and an SMLE laying around here somewhere....

Woot!

FJT

their stage design rocks

I have shot it more than once, and done well

having-funn

all at the same time

did I mention

their stage design rocks

large 90 yd targets with a rifle is great, thats why they have long barrels and sites at both ends

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

I understand and respect that (and thought of that before I posted my post on it), but ANY gun, including the single action revolvers, can bring back bad memories to anyone for any reason....so to say one is 'fun' and the other is 'not fun' struck me as odd in the context of our game. Many other pards who have used the 1911 and have served, and used it to do their job, don't have issues with it being as one of the 'fun' guns to shoot. Maybe if using the 1911 in a fun, peaceful environment is the ticket for someone to help deal with the pains of the past...I don't know...

Respectfully

GG ~ :FlagAm:

+1

I agree 100%. People with problems toward objects don't start or stop with guns like the 1911. I've had friends who've had problems with helicopters, and yes I've known some who have a problem with Asian folks because of their time in Vietnam. I've also known people who've had problems with Middle Easterners because of time in Kuwait and Iraq, and of course there are some gals that have problems with men because of bad experiences.

I'm not a shrink by any way shape or form, but being a Vet and working with other Vets has taught me that anything can be a trigger for a bad memory. Anything can bring back bad memories to anyone for any reason.

But then again, that's what makes it nice about living in a free country - no one is forcing anyone to shot any kind of shooting that they don't like. No one is forcing anyone to like Wild Bunch shooting.

To me, from what I've seen, it's just not for me. Is WB shooting fun? Well from what I've seen, it looked like some were having a good time. But for me, I like Cowboy Shooting - and yes, to me - as much as I love my 1911s - it's just not the same as Cowboy Shooting. It's just a different type of shooting.

I think Cowboy Action Shooting is fun for so many more reasons than just the shooting. To me, it is a lot more than just shooting six guns. We dress a certain way, we take on an alias, we may even become fictional characters, our gunbelts and dress in many cases is geared to our character and alias, and on and on.

As far as someone saying that a single-action is "fun" while a 1911 is serious, well both firearms should be approached with respect and safety in mind. Both were intended to shoot and kill in their day, and people should respect the fact that both can still do what they were intended for.

As for the IPSC, it is just another shooting sport. Please don't mistake it for some sort of tactical or self-defense training, it isn't. It is Competitive Shooting, but it is not Tactical Training.

We can get self-defense use out of any handgun.

As far as anyone saying that a person cannot get any self-defense use out of shooting Cowboy Shooting and using single actions, I'd like to remind folks that the more experience we have with any firearm - the better we are in a self-defense situation.

And by the way, considering the average shoots fired in a self-defense incident is three, I don't think the average person needs to know how to shoot multiple fully stacked mags to defend his or her self. They can certainly do it with a single action if they had to.

That's just my 2 cents.

Semper Fi!

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

The day of the 1911 being a very effective sd tool is far far from over. I don't really think it will ever be over.

+1

A true testiment to the 1911 is that it is still being issued for use in our military. It is one great gun! I swear by mine. I have one old 1911 that has kept me alive on more than one occasion.

Archived