SASS Wire Forum

Powder Question

TACO BILL , #8090

Yesterday I was reloading some ammo and went to get a can of powder. It was an IMR powder in a metal can. When I got it down off the shelf the outside of the can looked rusted. I mashed on the side of the can with my thumb and it tore a hole in the can. I went outside and ripped the can open with my fingers. On the inside was the IMR gunpowder mixed with a fine orange rust looking powder. There was more of the rust powder than the imr powder in the can . I dumped it all out on the ground. Then I went back and found another can in almost the same condition. Now my question, has anybody ever seen this before? and if so what is going on? Is the powder breaking down chemically and rusting the can out as it does or what. The cans were old and about 3/4 full. I hope no more do this, it could get expensive. Taco

Moisture + powder = bad things.

Dry powder will not break down chemically. Add a touch of moisture from humid air getting into the can and bingo. I have some IMR powder that's 20 years old and in good condition.

Guest diablo slim shootist

If it still burns the velocity may be low-I think

I would just toss it and buy new ;) Don't need bullets

lodging in the barrel :o

Your cans rusted. This is sometimes caused by residual acid in a lot of powder, but the manufacturers are VERY good about rinsing the acids used during making the powder out of the finished product. So, it is almost always caused by storing the powder in a moist location (a shelf where moisture can collect). Store it inside in a cool dry location. Basements and bards are NOT a good storage location. Two cans rusting out makes it almost certainly a storage problem. Some smokeless powder cans have been stored for over 50 years without damage, when kept dry.

But, now that the damage has been done, the powder is ruined. Use it as fertilizer on your yard or garden. The rust particles in the powder won't cause any problems with your garden. It should not be shot in cartridges, though.

Good luck, GJ

Archived