SASS Wire Forum

Just read Poddy of Mars again

Aunt Jen

It's been 40 years.

You know, it seems to me that Robert A. kinda did a couple of different things at the same time in a lot of his novels.

(1) Conceive of a futuristic, quite different sci-fi setting,

(2) Put recognizeably "normal" people we'd idenify with from contemporary culture into that futuristic setting.

..........Of course, I suspected her "savage" brother was not so savage afterall.

Which one should I read next?

Sci Fi

James P. Hogan - like pretty much everything he wrote, started with the Giants novels.

Timothy Zahn - Icarus Hunt was excellent, liked the Conquerors trilogy as well.

Modern day westerns

Craig Johnson - Walt Longmire Mysteries

Patrick McManus - Bo Tulley series

Glad you made me look them up, there is a new Walt Longmire mystery just out, hope the library has it.

Grizz

Well that's a pisser, they have it in the system, but not at my local library, not a problem, put a hold on it and they'll transfer it over in a couple of days...except their computer doesn't seem to recognize my name and library card number.

Glad you made me look them up, there is a new Walt Longmire mystery just out, hope the library has it.

Grizz

Ours doesn't yet. :angry:

Aunt Jen,

May I recomend "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' or "Starship Troopers"

Old Top

Either or both would be quite acceptable.

Wow! Okay!

I started looking at these, and—you know my husband has Parkinson's and is very handicapped? Well, when I read a book when he's around, it's boring for him. So I found "Starman Jones" on audiobook, and am currently downloading it onto my iPad off iTunes (right now), and I'll try this new thing: I'll play it for us both, together, in the car while we're at the beach or something. I don't know if he'll follow it, but it's got some features he may connect with. :excl:

So I'm gonna try that.

Thanks! I'm on a roll. (I also bought Starship Troopers for my own reading at another time, and I have most of his others on my iPad now, too...)

Wow! Okay!

I started looking at these, and—you know my husband has Parkinson's and is very handicapped? Well, when I read a book when he's around, it's boring for him. So I found "Starman Jones" on audiobook, and am currently downloading it onto my iPad off iTunes (right now), and I'll try this new thing: I'll play it for us both, together, in the car while we're at the beach or something. I don't know if he'll follow it, but it's got some features he may connect with. :excl:

So I'm gonna try that.

Thanks! I'm on a roll. (I also bought Starship Troopers for my own reading at another time, and I have most of his others on my iPad now, too...)

You may also want to investigate Heinleins 'Future History' stories - scroll about half way down that page. A lot of good short stories.

Auntie;

The John Carter Barsoom series or the HG Wells classics. All available for FREE on Amazon.com.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Have Space Suit Will Travel is great. Starship Troopers, Farnhans Freehold, Space Cadet. All are great

in the similar genre is David Webster's books especially Heirs of Empire which has some great blackpowder battles

You know, I get the impression Robert Heinlein enjoyed his writing, but do you think he was aware of his Vision when he wrote? How significant his vision of the future was and how he was shaping minds?

Another vote for Tunnel in the Sky.

Puppet Masters is still a much better novel than the movie, too...

Puppet Masters is still a much better novel than the movie, too...

Boy, ain't that the truth!!

However, my vote would be for Methuselah's Children, or Time Enough for Love; both starring my favorite Heinlein character, Lazarus Long (aka, Woodrow Wilson Smith)!!

Archived