SASS Wire Forum

Cheapest action job ever

Tom Bullweed

I picked up a Uberti 1873 Winchester in .38 Special at Givhan's Ferry regional match last year. The 18" half-octagonal barrel was too much for me to pass up. I decided not to get a short-stroke kit since I also shoot an original '73 with a very similar, but easier, action.

Right after this I switched to FC and started shooting BP-subs. I experienced some verdigris (green oxidation) on the brass carrier after waiting too long to clean this rifle. I thought 'I got a tumbler'. Twenty minutes later the verdigris is gone. After cleanign and oiling the gun I noticed that the action seemed smoother than before. I believe that this tumbling either removed a undetected burr or machine marks where the carrier meets the side walls of the receiver.

Anyone else get so lucky with this? Any other too-simple-to-try actions that I can take without dropping another $200-or-more into this neat little carbine?

My home brew trigger job on my Service Revolver in 1982 was valve lapping compound on the contact points and 4 super duty rubber bands to keep tension on the hammer. It brought the trigger pull down from 11 pounds to 9 1/2 double action. A few years later, It came down to 8 pounds through shooting a lot. I now have over 80,000 (yes, you read that right) rounds through it with replacement of 2 parts over the years. I have fitted an oversized cylinder locking bolt at about 30K and a new hand or pawl depending on who taught you the terminology at 75k.....

The forcing cone entrance is rounded and there are no sharp edges anywhere on the metal but I can still hit a 6 inch metal gong at 50 yards with impunity...

The brass carrier that was used with subs is more than enough to jamb the rifle to where it would fail to cycle. The subs are all known for this type of problem. While I was a Police Firearms Instructor we would find all kinds of street cops that never changed out the extra cartridges carried on their duty belts. This verdigris was enough to keep the rounds from chambering. This was a shift LT and after he fired his first six he had no ammo to reload and was pinned by the shooter. This shooter had killed a former riding partner of mine just a few hours before. The verdigris was so hard that it had to be removed with a knife blade.My point is that it takes very little to disable a firearm.Real BP would not have caused this problem. A sythenic oil that is know as EEZOX is very good to use on the carrier and toggle bolt as it drys to a dry film.

Archived