SASS Wire Forum

I've got a short rant on the USPS

For those of you who don't know (and probably don't care :o ) I'm moving home to Highland, IL on the 5th of Aug.

Government moves aren't as easy as it may sound. There is a TON of paperwork and red tape at every turn.

Household goods usually take about 60 days to get there and they have an opportunity to ship "Hold Baggage" (stuff that you urgently need to set up house) but that's taking 3-4 weeks to get there, so I've been advised that it would be wise just to mail the stuff ahead and Uncle Sam picks up the tab.

Okay...to the crux of the story.

I went to the Post Office today to mail IMPORTANT stuff back home so we can at least exist in our house before the fruniture arrives.

I mailed the cowboy hats and belts and all the leather goods with no problem.

I had 3,000 rounds of 130gr RNFP in one box (it was pretty durn heavy) and about 3,000 rounds of plain ol' spent brass that's been cleaned in another box.

THEY WOULDN"T TAKE IT!!!

"THEY"(USPS) blame it on US Customs and say that they'll send it back...it happpens all the time. Does it? Just exactly how many people are shipping lead ingots or spent brass back to the States? Somebody's jerkin' my chain!

I explain to the USPS counter guy (a USAF Ssgt)that I ship and recieve this stuff all the time in the States but he stands by his story that Customs will reject it. BS!!

I didn't even bother to get the Dillon 650 out of the car

If I ever get a chance to slow down and look into this...I'm gonna jerk somebody else's chain pretty dern hard!

How am I susposed to live without my reloading stuff??

Rant mode off :P

I'm really looking forward to getting home :P-_-

Charlie

Charlie, I got a couple old single stage presses and 38 Special dies you can borrow. Let me know if ya need them.

Also have a bunch of 38 special brass you can borrow till you can get yours or buy some.

Charlie, just settle down and have a cool one. I can fix you problem for you, but you will need to be calm.

Just come on out here to the PNWet and Captain Jack and myself will load your booluts for you.

You ken find the PNW, kan't ya?

What caliber are you thunking and what size pill? No need to worry about primers, me and Jack don't use 'em. We can sit and tell lies while pulling on the Rockchucker and sipping imported bier. They will let you ship bier, won't they? :lol:

Sounds like your rkant should be about the customs dept., not USPS.

Yeah...Well... read the title.

It's both of their faults and it's because I spent an hour at the counter of the post office while he tried to figure it out. He never did give me a plausable explaination so I had to go to another post office and have a face to face with a supervisor.

Believe me...after 30 years of flying, I've dealt with customs agents on a regular basis and there is nothing ileagle or restrictive about lead or brass.

I'm pissed because if this kid IS right and that stuff keeps getting returned to sender, why haven't they looked into it or done anything about it? And second...He said that people try to send this stuff through the mail all the time....Really? I just find that a little hard to believe and I don't like the kid lieing to me just so he can place the blame on Customs.

I thought the rant mode was off, but I guess I'll just put it on slow boil for a while...

Charlie, I got a couple old single stage presses and 38 Special dies you can borrow. Let me know if ya need them.

Also have a bunch of 38 special brass you can borrow till you can get yours or buy some.

I can always count on friends! Thanks.

CC

Charlie, just settle down and have a cool one. I can fix you problem for you, but you will need to be calm.

Just come on out here to the PNWet and Captain Jack and myself will load your booluts for you.

You ken find the PNW, kan't ya?

What caliber are you thunking and what size pill? No need to worry about primers, me and Jack don't use 'em. We can sit and tell lies while pulling on the Rockchucker and sipping imported bier. They will let you ship bier, won't they? :lol:

You must be almost "The Godfather" 'cause that's almost an offer I can't refuse :D

Sure sounds good to me

CC

Are you shipping bullets or FISHING LURES ?? ;)

Ya know? I almost did something like that and didn't so now I'm blaming myself for being so damn honest.

I even took one of each item and showed them....Look! How harmless can they be? It's just lead in one box and brass in another box!

I needed a space stuffer on top, so I threw in a gun cleaning kit...When they saw "gun" it went south in a hurry. :blink::wacko:

Here, inside da' USA, they only ask if'n it's "Hazardous or liquid",

I jest say "No" and they don't need ta' know details of what I ship.

Now Customs might have different rules, but should be written policy somewheres.

Best of luck Pard ;)

Here, inside da' USA, they only ask if'n it's "Hazardous or liquid",

I jest say "No" and they don't need ta' know details of what I ship.

Now Customs might have different rules, but should be written policy somewheres.

Best of luck Pard ;)

Trust me...I asked for a copy of the Reg prohibiting the shipment and nobody has shown me one yet!

Coming back from Germany in '94 we got held up by Customs Office Fish and Wildlife officers.

I had all the paperwork for the firearms and no one even wnated to look at it, but Customs went through every other thing we had, including my kids backpacks that were stuffed with toys, looking for the illegal wildlife I "must" have shot with all those mean old guns.

The USPS kid was ignorant of the reason and should have just said that instead of BSing you on the fly, but I do believe if there was a problem there it was with customs. They don't dissallow it, they just keep sending it back and requesting more paperwork until you flat give up.

Coming back from Germany in '94 we got held up by Customs Office Fish and Wildlife officers.

I had all the paperwork for the firearms and no one even wnated to look at it, but Customs went through every other thing we had, including my kids backpacks that were stuffed with toys, looking for the illegal wildlife I "must" have shot with all those mean old guns.

The USPS kid was ignorant of the reason and should have just said that instead of BSing you on the fly, but I do believe if there was a problem there it was with customs. They don't dissallow it, they just keep sending it back and requesting more paperwork until you flat give up.

I think you're absolutely correct, and if I get the time, that's where I'm gonna start, then I'm going back to USPS. ;)

The shipping of ammo components is directed by the State Department not US CBP. It is only enforced by US CBP and we enforce laws for over 70 different Federal agencies. You should never miss mark or mis-declare a packages content because if your "FISHING LURES" turn out to be brass or lead, they will not be returned to you. They WILL be seized and you will be penalized for a failure to declare the correct items. Keep being so damned honest, it is always the better choice in the long run.

As a retired USAF MSgt (1977-1981, 1983-2001), current US CBP Officer and an avid shooter, I feel your pain. I ordered a new "Codymatic" and it took 6 extra weeks to get it because it was held up at US Customs waiting for the paperwork to clear.

You can ship and recieve bullets and brass within the US and that is controlled by the USPS.

Dakota Justice

P.S. From one Vet to another, Thank you for your service!

Charlie... you know if you and Tammy need anything when you get home, you have but to ask and Ms. Maggie and I will do whatever we can to help... I'm just glad y'all are coming home... been WAY too long since we've shot together and had us a ceegar and a beverage... :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Vaya con Dios

Charlie... you know if you and Tammy need anything when you get home, you have but to ask and Ms. Maggie and I will do whatever we can to help... I'm just glad y'all are coming home... been WAY too long since we've shot together and had us a ceegar and a beverage... :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Vaya con Dios

Thanks Flint. My friends mean a lot to me and we desparetly want to get back up up the PNW and shoot with all of our old friends...and we will eventually.

If you guys get back anywhere near us...let me know and we'll make an effort to be there.

Charlie

The shipping of ammo components is directed by the State Department not US CBP. It is only enforced by US CBP and we enforce laws for over 70 different Federal agencies. You should never miss mark or mis-declare a packages content because if your "FISHING LURES" turn out to be brass or lead, they will not be returned to you. They WILL be seized and you will be penalized for a failure to declare the correct items. Keep being so damned honest, it is always the better choice in the long run.

As a retired USAF MSgt (1977-1981, 1983-2001), current US CBP Officer and an avid shooter, I feel your pain. I ordered a new "Codymatic" and it took 6 extra weeks to get it because it was held up at US Customs waiting for the paperwork to clear.

You can ship and recieve bullets and brass within the US and that is controlled by the USPS.

Dakota Justice

P.S. From one Vet to another, Thank you for your service!

Thanks for the info. It's a very reasoned response from somebody that sounds like they know what they're talking about.

NOW!...Can you direct me to any regulation that I can find online ? This is really starting to get under my skin.

Stand by for an edited post...

Okay...here's my question. Why was US Customs involved in an intrastate transfer? And why was your shipment delayed?

Charlie,

Here is a bit of info on the brass and bullets. This is from the ATF but quotes the Dept of States ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulation 2010) munitions list. Look at the note under Catagory III-ammunitions.

[Title 27, Volume 3]

[Revised as of April 1, 2010]

From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access

[CITE: 27CFR447.21]

[Page 7-11]

TITLE 27--ALCOHOL, TOBACCO PRODUCTS, AND FIREARMS

CHAPTER II--BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES,

DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

PART 447_IMPORTATION OF ARMS, AMMUNITION AND IMPLEMENTS OF WAR--Table of Contents

Subpart C_The U.S. Munitions Import List

Sec. 447.21 The U.S. Munitions Import List.

The U.S. Munitions List compiled by the Department of State, Office

of Defense Trade Controls, and published at 22 CFR 121.1, with the

deletions indicated, has been adopted as an enumeration of the defense

articles subject to controls under this part. The expurgated list, set

out below, shall, for the purposes of this part, be known as the U.S.

Munitions Import List:

The U.S. Munitions Import List

category i--firearms

(a) Nonautomatic and semiautomatic firearms, to caliber .50

inclusive, combat shotguns, and shotguns with barrels less than 18

inches in length, and all components and parts for such firearms.

(B) Automatic firearms and all components and parts for such

firearms to caliber .50 inclusive.

© Insurgency-counterinsurgency type firearms of other weapons

having a special military application (e.g. close assault weapons

systems) regardless of caliber and all components and parts for such

firearms.

(d) Firearms silencers and suppressors, including flash suppressors.

(e) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications and

specifically designed or modified components therefor.

[[Page 8]]

Note: Rifles, carbines, revolvers, and pistols, to caliber .50

inclusive, combat shotguns, and shotguns with barrels less than 18

inches in length are included under Category I(a). Machineguns,

submachineguns, machine pistols and fully automatic rifles to caliber

.50 inclusive are included under Category I(B).

category ii--artillery projectors

(a) Guns over caliber .50, howitzers, mortars, and recoiless rifles.

(B) Military flamethrowers and projectors.

© Components, parts, accessories, and attachments for the articles

in paragraphs (a) and (B) of this category, including but not limited to

mounts and carriages for these articles.

category iii--ammunition

(a) Ammunition for the arms in Categories I and II of this section.

(B) Components, parts, accessories, and attachments for articles in

paragraph (a) of this category, including but not limited to cartridge

cases, powder bags, bullets, jackets, cores, shells (excluding shotgun

shells), projectiles, boosters, fuzes and components therefor, primers,

and other detonating devices for such ammunition.

© Ammunition belting and linking machines.

(d) Ammunition manufacturing machines and ammunition loading

machines (except handloading ones).

Note: Cartridge and shell casings are included under Category III

unless, prior to their importation, they have been rendered useless

beyond the possibility of restoration for use as a cartridge or shell

casing by means of heating, flame treatment, mangling, crushing,

cutting, or popping.

As for my cohorts in crime getting involved with my 1873, Cody was waiting for it to come into Taylor and Company, who gets their stuff from Uberti in Italy, and their shipment was stalled at Customs awaiting paperwork. After Cody (Don) finished it, he shipped it to my FFL guy without any problems.

Dakota Justice

...I went to the Post Office today to mail IMPORTANT stuff back home so we can at least exist in our house before the fruniture arrives....I had 3,000 rounds of 130gr RNFP in one box (it was pretty durn heavy) and about 3,000 rounds of plain ol' spent brass that's been cleaned in another box.

THEY WOULDN"T TAKE IT!!!...

I don't understand?

Bullet componets are required for you to live in your house?

Most Cowpokes try to move out of those type of nieghborhoods! :)

Well, from a retired Sargent1stClass (E-7) to another vet, a heat felt Thank you !

Da wifey wants to retire to da PNW after her son lives in Tocoma, WA. He told her it almost nener snows der and da winter temp is a hard 50 degress. Man, did her eyes light up !!

Now, do I understand right, US Costums will not let you ship lead ingots back to da world ?

I know they will not alow brass in any usiable form.

Nor any type of reloader.

I've had many PCS moves in my time in service, so if you don't mind, I have some advice for you.

Check the seal numbers on the moving boxes and write it on the shipping paperwork.

And re-check them again when you got home. I am asumming they still use large wooden crates.

I lost a "ShopMate". One of those wood working tools, that with a pull and a twist will change into another wood working tool.

Had the recipet for it but the Army only gave me $500.00 for it. It cost me $3000.00 counting shipping.

Well, from a retired Sargent1stClass (E-7) to another vet, a heat felt Thank you !

Da wifey wants to retire to da PNW after her son lives in Tocoma, WA. He told her it almost nener snows der and da winter temp is a hard 50 degress. Man, did her eyes light up !!

Now, do I understand right, US Costums will not let you ship lead ingots back to da world ?

I know they will not alow brass in any usiable form.

Nor any type of reloader.

I've had many PCS moves in my time in service, so if you don't mind, I have some advice for you.

Check the seal numbers on the moving boxes and write it on the shipping paperwork.

And re-check them again when you got home. I am asumming they still use large wooden crates.

I lost a "ShopMate". One of those wood working tools, that with a pull and a twist will change into another wood working tool.

Had the recipet for it but the Army only gave me $500.00 for it. It cost me $3000.00 counting shipping.

Well, thankfully, the government has gone to a full replacement value on lost items, so I'll wait and see what's missing on this shipment when we get home...It's always something.

CC

Well, T

I probably have some spare 38's I can let you have. Just let me know.

Russ

Thanks Russ.

As always, my cowboy friends offer me more than I need and I've got other friends offering to help but I just don't want to be a burden with all the matches that we want to attend. It just might have to be Ammo Direct for a couple of months before we get back to normal.

Thanks,

CC

Welcome home, even if a bit early on the wishes. You know how the CAS folks are. Folks will loan you what you need, so uncinch that nuclear wedgie and have a tall one... on Flint's tab. ;)

Thanks Okie. I didn't realize that I was THAT pissed over the situation, but the "nuclear wedgie" :P description is not only apt, but it's funny...amazing what a few tall ones and a good night's sleep will do for ya. ;)

CC

Well, thankfully, the government has gone to a full replacement value on lost items, so I'll wait and see what's missing on this shipment when we get home...It's always something.

CC

Well, T

Aint it da truth !!!

Ifin' it aint one thin' it's a dadburn nother !! :angry:

As for my cohorts in crime getting involved with my 1873, Cody was waiting for it to come into Taylor and Company, who gets their stuff from Uberti in Italy, and their shipment was stalled at Customs awaiting paperwork. After Cody (Don) finished it, he shipped it to my FFL guy without any problems.

Dakota Justice

That's very interesting...and informative. Thanks for going to the trouble to provide it.

I didn't think about your rifle coming in from Italy first. Ours just came from stock at Taylor's to Cody then to us.

It's always something ;)

CC

I don't understand?

Bullet componets are required for you to live in your house?

Most Cowpokes try to move out of those type of nieghborhoods! :)

Oh, absolutely! It gives me the QUALITY of life that I want to live ;)

CC

Hey Charlie what part of Germany is Burchmuhlback in ??

Thanks Russ.

As always, my cowboy friends offer me more than I need and I've got other friends offering to help but I just don't want to be a burden with all the matches that we want to attend. It just might have to be Ammo Direct for a couple of months before we get back to normal.Thanks,

CC

Uhhhh....you might need to rethink that......

LL

Hey Charlie what part of Germany is Burchmuhlback in ??

Down near the French border very near the suthern city of Homburg but 20 kliks to Kaiserslautern. I work at Ramstein AB

Uhhhh....you might need to rethink that......

LL

What am I missing? I thought that a lot of folks that don't reload buy from them. I've never bought from them. Is there a better company?

CC

Charlie, are you coming to Monmouth for True Grit? If so, let me know what you're shooting and I will try to put a wish list together for you.... Things like caliber etc.... I have a lot of stuff for .38 Special and both large and small pistol primers....

Archived