SASS Wire Forum

Reloading for a

Slowhand Bob, 24229

What I have, at least a few hundred rounds of 45-70 brass, a few hundred rounds of Magnus hard cast .458 405gr RN BB bullets and some large rifle primers. What I lack is a good powder and knowledge to load some easy shooting smokeless ammo for this rifle. The only ammo I have used in this gun was the jacketed bullet reloads that came with it and they kicked like Ga. mules. I'm thinking a lightly loaded round that will handle deer and the occasional mad bull, as well as an occasional mid range match! I guess if a good powder, something common and easy to find locally, were suggested I could possibly find the load recommendation on line or in a manual.

PS: I have been told the Marlin does not do well with lead bullets or black powder, anyone with experience to prove this wrong?

Which Marlin? "Microgrove" rifling or not?

My 1895 CB prefers 350gr. bullets, and so does my shoulder, but I would suggest you start with a mid load of Trail Boss. I have also used IMR 3031 on the light end of the recommended loads with good success. The 3031 loads are a little more accurate but with a bit more noticeable recoil. Check the Hodgdon site for their data. And, don't be afraid to call them with questions.

Some data here http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Look at Trapdoor data for light loads.

I like Reloader 7 and a 420 cast or 3031.

BH

PS check your OAL to see iffin that bullet will work in your Marlin, before making too many rounds.

PS again...you need one of these http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/publications/cast-bullet4.php

I have been told the Marlin does not do well with lead bullets or black powder, anyone with experience to prove this wrong?

Nonsense. I have an 1895 short rifle (22" barrel) and it's a tack driver with BP or 777 and lead bullets. No problems whatsoever.

For smokeless give Accurate 5744 a look.

Anything with a Microgroove barrel, with its shallow grooves, is designed for jacketed bullets. Lead sort of slides down the barrel some under the pressure. I think they are marked Microgroove if they are, and I think they made both microgroove and regular rifled barrels in the 95.

If you have the Marlin 1895 CB with a 26" barrel it has Ballard cut rifling. I am shooting a Marlin 1895 CB 26" barrel with a 405 grain lead bullet behind Accurate 5744. PM me if you want the load data.

TB

I like a 405gr. gas checked bullet and 17gr of trail boss, with a gas check there is no problem from leading, and the back end of the bullet will not burn off.

Yeah, the 1895 Marlin CB in 45/70 and most of the newer Marlins except maybe in .22 rimfire are generally not microgroove barrels and shoot lead bullets just fine. It's also possible to shoot lead in the microgroove barrels, but there are some mixed opinions on this subject. Anyway, you have to be careful and not exceed the maximum cartridge length or they will not feed in the CB 45/70. My experience has been that the standard, flat nosed, 405 grain pill is about as big as I can load without the cartridge getting too long. The 405 grain pill works well, but my rife seems to prefer a 320 grain flat point even better. As for propellents, all that have been mentioned are good choices 5744, 3031, Reloader 7, Trailboss, etc. I have also used Unique for mild loads, with great success. Reloader 7 is great for hotter loads and is the velocity champ in my rifle. 3031 is an old standard that works quite well in medium to heavy loads, 5744 is very consistent, but it's difficult to get all the powder to burn. Trailboss makes a good lighter load, but still somewhat more recoil than the Unique loads. All in all, the Marlin CB in 45/70 is a lot of fun and can be loaded for the purpose at hand. Heavy loads can be rather painful in this gun, but if your into hunting I doubt that there's a big game animal it wouldn't handle. Good luck and good shooting.

I have shot literally thousands of hard cast lead bullets in Marlins with microgroove barrels. NO PROBLEMS! (Soft lead at high velocity might be a problem. If I don't know about something, I don't guess)

YMMV

Blackfoot

It is not marked as a micro-groove on the barl but has the following, MOD 1895 LTD-II and I purchased it used (like new condition) around the turn of the new century (not twentieth either). It had a Marbles tang sight installed and yes it kicked like a mule, had I known that I would have bought lighter bullets, this was right before I got hooked on bp and my newest dream is a Uberti 1876 in 45-75 to go with my current Billy Dixon Sharps (still unfired also). I will shoot the Marlin a bit until the right deal on that '76 comes along, after which it will probably go to the grandson as a hunting rifle from his ole Pappy.

Archived