SASS Wire Forum

Slicking up a 66

Frenchy Cannuck

I have a new Uberti 66 on order. I have already decided to order a Super Short Stroke kit, magazine spring and follower right away. I plan on doing the rest this winter. My question is, should I change the carrier right now or can I put it off?

Frenchy

You will have to modify the brass carrier to get it to work with the SS stroke kit. It's pretty simple and the instructions cover it BUT if you get the aluminum carrier it is ready to go......if that matters to ya'.

I have a new Uberti 66 on order. I have already decided to order a Super Short Stroke kit, magazine spring and follower right away. I plan on doing the rest this winter. My question is, should I change the carrier right now or can I put it off?

Frenchy

Cowboy Junky answered your question but..

If this is your first '66.. be sure and get a spare loading gate and rework the little tip of it .. (reinforce it)

or the first time ya fill it up and lever it, it will probably jam up on ya...

I shoot yellowboys.. and lovem'

Good Luck and Good shooting

Rance <_<

Frenchy,

If your planning to DIY your also going to need a reduced power Main Spring, Reduced power lever side springs, reduced power firing pin return spring and some judicious rubbin and buffin.

I personally don't like aluminum carriers but they can save you some effort. Pioneer Gunworks does a nice alloy carrier and "Slixsprings." Cowboy Rance is correct about the loading gate as well. The factory ladle is prone to breaking. Not if it's going to break, just how soon. The ladle is the only weak link in a '66.

Coffinmaker

Frenchy,

Cowboy Rance is correct about the loading gate as well. The factory ladle is prone to breaking. Not if it's going to break, just how soon. The ladle is the only weak link in a '66.

Coffinmaker

When I got my 66 I had heard about the ladle breaking. I put a gob of JB Weld on the back side of the ladle, before firing, and it has run for several years now with no trouble.

I know of several aluminum carriers that have been discarded with the owner going back to the stock brass.

Frenchy,

If your planning to DIY your also going to need a reduced power Main Spring, Reduced power lever side springs, reduced power firing pin return spring and some judicious rubbin and buffin.

I personally don't like aluminum carriers but they can save you some effort. Pioneer Gunworks does a nice alloy carrier and "Slixsprings." Cowboy Rance is correct about the loading gate as well. The factory ladle is prone to breaking. Not if it's going to break, just how soon. The ladle is the only weak link in a '66.

Coffinmaker

What is a source for a reinforced loading gate for the 66?

None. This you can do yourself. Like others have said, you need to reinforce the ladle tab. Otherwise, you need extra ladle to replace the broken ones, of course this is a quick fix but how soon will it break again.

VTI sells a replacement that has a deeper curve to the ladle that is closer to the original design and works without modification'

Go Here and click in 66/73 Rifles

http://www.vtigunparts.com/

The source for an after-market loading gate (ladle) is VTI Gunparts. I have "fixed" several OEM ladles for the '66 and there are two way to do it. One is to solder in some form of gusset behind the little tab that acts as a cartridge stop. The other way is to make a gusset from JB Weld. For JB Weld, you need to insure the back of the ladle is really cleaned and roughed up. Make a "dam" from tape and fill with JB Weld and file to shape. If done correctly, the JB Weld will last indefinitely. The after-market ladle from VTI also had a more correct shape for the ladle. Very nice item.

Coffinmaker

PS: The Cowboys and Indian Store in Calif use to offer a reinforced ladle. I don't see in on their web site so you might want to give Jim Lincoln a call.

VTI sells a replacement that has a deeper curve to the ladle that is closer to the original design and works without modification'

Go Here and click in 66/73 Rifles

http://www.vtigunparts.com/

The VTI part is great, If I bought another 66 it would be one of the first things I would order. One thing be ready for people to tell you your gate is not fully up.

Archived