SASS Wire Forum

I need help!

Hondo Tucker

I have recently been playing with Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter, and really like the idea. I have a load that works great and I really like it for my pistols. I am using the Cowboy Specials from AJ, just like I do on smokeless loads. No problem there at all.

The problem is with my 45 LC 73. I have been using Triple 7 ffg (mostly because I won it as a door prize) and would like to keep using it because of the availablity. I tried the tricks on Cap Baylors Subs for Dummies site, and the advice of several pards, and they just aren't working. The biggest problem I have is the cases are bulging in the middle, and are a little harder to extract than normal. Make no mistake, I want to go fast. My rifle usually unloads in a hurry, so the slight increase in pressure needed to eject a round is really upsetting me. I know most of the answers will be "fill it up with real Black", but that is not what I am trying to accomplish. I want to get a legal load that doesn't have a ton of recoil, has enough smoke without a bunch extra, and actually works in my 73.

Right now, I am almost ready to order a carrier for my 73 from AJ, and shoot the shorties in it. I would prefer to stick with the original length the gun was made for. I know we can't put load data on this sight, so please just PM me a load if you have one that works. Any other things I may be missing would be very helpful. Thanks Pards!! By the way, I am not changing to a smaller caliber, I LIKE 45's!!! I can't afford to change to 44-40, I LIKE 45's!!

You didn't say what bullet weight you are using; if you're using 250's, try 200. You can also try 180 or 160's but keep in mind those smaller bullets (200's whould be the same length as 250's) might be too short to function unless you seat them out. And of course, you'll end up with more space in the case to fill with powder. A lighter bullet might alleviate the case bulging you're experiencing.

Hodgdon doesn't recomment fillers with 777 but I know people who do without ill effect. In my Plainsman loads, which in 45-70 need to be loaded down a bit, I use a card wad over the powder and then use corn cob to take up the space to the bullet. You can also use a cream of wheat filler, some people mix powder with this filler so it burns, 2 parts COW to 1 of powder and load right on top of powder.

If your biggest problem is bulged cases, could be you are over crimping them ? Wrong bullet ? Too much powder or filler ? Bullet weight is the biggest factor determining recoil...As DD said, the use of fillers to reduce the powder weight is about all you can do if you have to use 777....I have tried 777 and did not like it, went with APP.

Mink............

Okay, a little for info looks to be in order. I was using several thypes of filler, from the caulk backer rod to a veg wad and grits. This is what was making the case bulge I guess. I use a 200 gr RNFP with the same crimp I use for everything. My usual load is mid range Trail Boss, and I like it. It is still a little dirty, but not too bad. Any other info needed for a good idea?

Thank you to those that have sent PM's, I will be trying them ASAFP.

I can't recommend a filler with 777. Some have done it but is does have bad MoJo. Consider switching to APP with no fillers. If your using .45CS cases and one of AJ's carriers, try APP with a 160Gr RNFP bullet.

Coffinmaker

PS: Some fillers will absorb the moisture from the powder and solidify, becomming part of the "bullet" and acting as an obstruction, raising case preassure dramatically. Seriously consider skipping fillers.

The biggest problem I have is the cases are bulging in the middle, and are a little harder to extract than normal
Sounds like your current bullet base diameters are 454. Use 452 bullets
I want to get a legal load that doesn't have a ton of recoil, has enough smoke without a bunch extra, and actually works in my 73.

Suggest reading the Trail Boss Loading Data on their website with the bullet weight you intend to use that is 452 in diameter

The biggest problem I have is the cases are bulging in the middle, and are a little harder to extract than normal

Some good things to try so far but we may be providing different responses based on our own interpertation of the problem.

Are they coming out of the loading press that way or is it after you shoot them you see the bulge?

Archived