SASS Wire Forum

Equipment

Steve75

I really want to get into cowboy action shooting. I currently have a EMF Dakota New Cattleman in .45 and a Winchester 94 in .45. I know I still need a coach gun. I am thinking that the Stoeger Coachgun will be the way to go. The question is do I need to have two pistols to participate in SASS?

I really want to get into cowboy action shooting. I currently have a EMF Dakota New Cattleman in .45 and a Winchester 94 in .45. I know I still need a coach gun. I am thinking that the Stoeger Coachgun will be the way to go. The question is do I need to have two pistols to participate in SASS?

No you do not have to but it is better if you do have the 2 pistols, other wise you will have to reload on the clock or barrow a second pistol. Go to a shoot and to watch and meet some people

In the alternative, instead of reloading you can take 5 misses per stage. Time-wise it's probably about a wash. Show up to a shoot with whatchagot and mebbeso some pard will loan ye the rest.

A Stoeger should do fine if ye get a good'un. They have been known to make some lemons. If I were you, I would try to find a new IAC 97 pump. They ain't gonna make any more and the price will only be going up from here on. Later on get a double, hopefully a better one than the Stoeger.

Ya need two holsters, then it's easy to borrow a second pistol.

I even bring a third pistol along, never needed it though.

a coach gun is not a necessity,a long barreled shot gun will do ,as will a model 97 winchester,or a copy of it.

I get along just fine with both of my stoegers,have for years.A 'better' double is gonna cost a LOT more,get in affordable,and if u like the game,upgrade later,the stoeger will always sell,or be a good backup.

yep,get a second holster and I'm sure a gun will magically appear in your hands for the shoot. why miss out on some shooting?

where are ya from,ur info is kinda sketchy. hint,hint

Check on Gun Broker(GB).I bought a new in box Baikal coach gun today on there for a little over $300.Stoegers built after 2005 are rumored to have used a weaker metal.I bought mine in 07 and sent it off to Stoeger today to try and get it fixed.But to be honest about it,it's seen A LOT of shells through it.There's several 97's both in here (classifieds) and on GB as well as Auction Arms.

No you do not "need" a second pistol

Almost all stages call for, " shoot first there, second pistol over there"

Just reload (on the clock) your pistol for the, "second pistol over there"

If you are comfortable working on guns, the Stoeger is a nice option. I say this because doing a few simple gunsmithing projects on a Stoeger will make it much more suitable to use for CAS. If you aren't planning on doing your own work, then you might be better off buying an already slicked up shotgun (Bakail or '97 clone) from one of the CAS smiths.

Git a holster for the stealth pistol and take enough 45 ammo for the match. If where you shoot is like here people will line up to fill that second holster for ya'. Then when you can get yer own second pistol but don't stay away if that's all you lack.

As far as a cheap shotgun I would get a new Baikal because they are eaiser to tune up if you choose to later.

In the alternative, instead of reloading you can take 5 misses per stage. Time-wise it's probably about a wash.

Myself, I'd be better-off taking the five misses, but shooting is more fun.

Hi and Welcome Steve!

Like the folks said, you need two pistols or must reload. If you want to be competitive, the second pistol is pretty important. You cannot just take five misses, as stated earlier unless the Match Director approves it. There is an additional 10 second penalty for "Failure to attempt to fire a firearm."

Regards,

Allie o

Some clubs will have a "drover" class at their monthly matches. This requires but one pistol. Mostly this class is for brand new and not totally equipped shooters.

My experience though has been there is always a host of shooters willing to let you borrow a gun.

Bring the extra holster if you have one and enough ammo for the guns you might borrow.

Welcome to CAS and have fun!

Dan

Some clubs will have a "drover" class at their monthly matches. This requires but one pistol. Mostly this class is for brand new and not totally equipped shooters.

My experience though has been there is always a host of shooters willing to let you borrow a gun.

Bring the extra holster if you have one and enough ammo for the guns you might borrow.

Welcome to CAS and have fun!

Dan

[size="4"]I have no problem lending my guns to any shooter new or old, but I do insist that they use my ammo since I have no idea of their loading skills[/size]

• 3 weeks later...

I have a little mule-eared Baikal that is really slick. I paid attention to the posts, and bought a Baikal coach gun with external hammers from Old Town Enterprises for $389.00 and then sent it to Gunslinger for his $125.00 work. So now I have a very slick little street howitzer that is built like a Russian tank (Baikal shotguns are made in Russia) and that will last me for many years of SASS shoots for $514.00 total.

When I first got the little Baikal, it took a very hefty push on the opening lever and a deliberate effort to make the action open, the safety automatically engaged every time the action was opened, and it had a itsy-bitsy bead that I could hardly see. Gunslinger reduced the spring tension on the opening lever and slicked up the “hinge area” so now it is very easy to operate the lever and the gun just falls open. It now has a nice BIG shiny brass bead that is easy to see. The safety no longer automatically engages every time the action is opened, but it is still functional if I want to deliberately engage it. The huge “hourglass” extractor has been re-cut which gets most of it out of the way for easy hull extraction. The entrances to the chambers have been beveled so there are no sharp edges there to hang me up when loading the chambers. The chambers have been polished so my spent hulls will fall right out. I am a very happy camper.

By the way, the people at Old Town Enterprises are the absolute best to work with. They will go the extra mile to find you what you need, they give you honest straight-up very knowledgeable advice if you are asking for advice, and their prices are right.

You can buy a Baikal from Old Town Enterprises and then send it to Gunslinger, or you can probably buy one already slicked up directly from Gunslinger. Here's the contact info for both:

Old Town Enterprises

602 William St., Suite 2C

Fredricksburg, VA 22401

888-393-4734

www.oldtownfirearms.com

info@oldtownfirearms.com

Robert Sanders

Gunslinger Inc.

3903 Ovilla Road

Ovilla, TX 75154

(214) 803-9258

(972) 617-6511

gun1@chilitech.com

My 2 cents worth on a topic you did not ask advice on. If you don't already have holsters get the 5 1/2 inch gun size rather than the 4 5/8 inch gun size. I have the 4 5/8 inch gun size and when I shot my 22 revolvers which are longer the front sight hangs up on the holster. This is all if you do not already have holsters and/or if you don't plan on using pistols longer than 5 1/2. Also, as far as a shotgun belt or slide the minimum number I would feel comfortable with is 10 (mine is 20). That way if you load it for a stage and have lots of problems and lots of reloads or if you forget to load for the next stage you may have enough.

I shoot Stoegers that have been slicked up and they are fine for my ability. Never have shot a pump so have no personal experience but figure it has more mechanical things that might go wrong. Either way you go will be good.

Start going to matches.

Take what you have with you and talk to everyone. Well, not everyone. A few at a time because everyone will talk to you.

Everyone will see your interest and offer advise, help and even the load of needed equipment to get you on the firing line. I try to tell everyone new to the game to not go out and just buy equipment because of price. It may look cowboy but it may not hold up to the abuse we give them. I don't mean we slam them around. We just use them a lot and fast. Some equipment works fine for the occasional plinker. But we run our equipment hard and often. You want something that has proven it can take it. The shooters on the range will for the most part not steer you wrong on equipment.

A little advise from me, Cliff Hanger.

You are new here and there are a lot of people who can and will help. Please go in to your profile and put in your home town and state for location. This way those who are close to you will step up and guide you through this game called Cowboy Action Shooting. You may spend a little more money on the guns recommended. But you won't be spending money on a second set of guns to replace them when they break or don't hold up. Unless you just want a second set.

Welcome to cas.

Hi and Welcome Steve!

Like the folks said, you need two pistols or must reload. If you want to be competitive, the second pistol is pretty important. You cannot just take five misses, as stated earlier unless the Match Director approves it. There is an additional 10 second penalty for "Failure to attempt to fire a firearm."

Regards,

Allie o

If a pard is willing to take 25 seconds in penalties for not shooting five pistol rounds from second pistol,,,,,, I doubt another 10seconds of penalties would really matter.

I can not immagine a MD not giving a newbie permission to shoot only one pistol.

Just my take.

Steve, if you don't mind a second revolver that is not an exact twin of your other gun, here's a new Uberti .45 for $250. While they last, that is. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=246102362

I bet you can find enough loose change under the couch cushions to swing that!

If not, well, come out anyway.

I'd agree with the suggestion that you buy a decent dual holster rig. Guns are easy to share. Holster belts are a little more difficult to pass back and forth during a match.

I spent a little more than the price of this Uberti Hombre for my rig.

Either way, come out and join the fun.

If you do not have tow pistols when you start there will be plenty of folks to assist you with loaners.

But the game is designed around shooting two pistols a rifle and a shotgun until you get your own gear.

It may be expensive but it's more fun with two, even if you don't feel like being competitive.

You need four wheels to play in NASCAR. ;)

Here are some hints;

1 - PLEASE mention your location. This will help pards steer you to clubs local to you.

2 - When you find a local club, call the contact person to find out if 1 pistol is OK with them.

3 - Attend a shoot, bring along what toys and whatever leather you have. Bring along 2 boxes of lead nosed .45s and 2 boxes of 12ga. low brass 7.5 sized shot shotshells, Most pards shoot 12ga. and this way you can provide your own shotshells. Make sure to retreive the .45 empties as eventually you may want to reload to reduce costs.

4 - I also shoot a Win. 94 in .45. I have made a simple tool to ease the loading. When I find the drawing, I will e-mail the drawing to you.

Yours. Nota John

Archived