SASS Wire Forum

Crimp on .38 LC reloads

Mingo Frank

I have loaded lots of .38LC rounds using a regular .357 lead bullet with a nice crimp. I want to reload some using a heeled bullet, but don't see how you can crimp a case if the bullet diameter is the same as the outside case diameter. Seems that the die would size the heel of the bullet down to the diameter of the crimp.

I am just overthinking this?? :unsure::unsure:

Thanks

Mingo :FlagAm:

You can't crimp a heeled bullet with a regular crimp die for the reason you stated. Finding a crimp tool for heeled bullets is not easy and most aren't going to be usable in a press. Most of the ones you find look like a pair of pliers with the crimp being in the jaws. You open the pliers, slip it around the case and squeeze. Handy for a few rounds of historically correct ammo, but not something you want to be doing if you are loading thousands of rounds of ammo.

P.S. What are you planning on shooting these out of? If you are loading .357 bullets and your bore is .357 you can't use a heeled bullet. If you have a conversion with a .375 bore, then the heeled bullets will work.

I shoot the .357 diameter bullets in a Uberti Open Top and they do quite well. I'm getting a Colt Lightning 1877, in .38 LC and I will have to shoot at least a few correct rounds through it. The gent I'm getting it from is sending some correct heeled bullets. I suspected that I would have to somehow manage to do a crimp below the heeled bullet. Looks like time to sacrifice another set of cheap wire cutters......

Thanks,

Mingo

I shoot the .357 diameter bullets in a Uberti Open Top and they do quite well. I'm getting a Colt Lightning 1877, in .38 LC and I will have to shoot at least a few correct rounds through it. The gent I'm getting it from is sending some correct heeled bullets. I suspected that I would have to somehow manage to do a crimp below the heeled bullet. Looks like time to sacrifice another set of cheap wire cutters......

Thanks,

Mingo

The factory Uberti Open Top has a .357 bore. You can't shoot a heeled bullet out of that. Most original Colt Lightnings shoot heeled bullets as the bores are larger in diameter than modern guns, but some of the last ones produced had .357 bores. If the one you are getting was produced after 1900 you should measure the bore. There was a guy that made a die that operates sort of like a Lee Factory Crimp die for rifle cartridges. In other words, there is a collet in the die that is pushed up by the shell plate to move the crimp jams inward. Can't remember his name, not sure he is still in business. The modified wire cutter like you suggested is used by a lot of people to make a crimper.

I received the 1877 today and it's a beaut. Lots of blue on the cylinder and barrel, faint casehardening on the frame. Original grips slightly worn. Bore nice and shiny with strong rifling. Checked the serial number and it's a 1900 made gun. Didn't mic the bore yet but a .357 bullet drops straight through....so definitely will need the heeled bullets.

Thanks for the advise. I'll keep you posted

Mingo

Archived