SASS Wire Forum

Gun Stories tonight -Win 1894

Grizzly Dave

On the outdoor channel, good show, I enjoyed it.

Saw one two weeks ago at a cowboy match, it had been long enough back I had to ask what it was LOL. I'm obviously not the most knowledgeable on such matters.

It is an excellent show, a few too many commercials, but those I understand and overlook because of subject matter. Has everyone noticed that room that Joe Mantegna is in and array of weaponry around him. I did notice a pristine Gatling in there. You could dream big about being turned loose in there for awile. The only negative on the 94 program was the one guy shooting prone with the 30/30. A couple of cuts to him would have been more than enough.

Grizz, I too thank you for the weekly reminder. I planned to watch the afternoon time slot, but forgot the time listed was eastern time, we're central. Also Gun Nuts right after it is pretty good too.

I love my 94's I have three of them. One that my grandfather had it's a 1923, my father's which is a 1951, and mine a 1978. All of them shoot great there's not much that defer other than the stocks. I would say that the 1951 has the best stock mainly because it was taken care of the best. My is great but the stock is not as nice as my father's although mine shoots just as well. In that they are the same great at 100-150 yard with open sights. I do have scope mount for mine and used it a few times but I went back to the open sights. For those of you that might ask it mounts off to one side and it was really fun to sight it in back in 78". I wouldn't take anything for any of them. Oh! Yes I shoot all three of them. The 51 is real smooth I think it has had the most rounds through it. I shot it as a kid and shot it until

my wife bought one for me in 78". I looked at the new ones boy have they gone up. My 94 cost $109. Now they go for over a $1000-1400

My problem with the show is there are too many talking heads and everyone of them has to be included in every show. Ted Nugent, for example, is colorful in a self-important sort of way, but he doesn't really know much about anything. The show could have spent his time talking to people who had something to contribute to the conversation.

My problem with the show is there are too many talking heads and everyone of them has to be included in every show. Ted Nugent, for example, is colorful in a self-important sort of way, but he doesn't really know much about anything. The show could have spent his time talking to people who had something to contribute to the conversation.

I have to agree. I also found the "wasting ammo" comments as why the 94 wasn't adopted by the military pretty stupid. As if it was ever even a contender. Yes some were used in government service, but the only Winchester lever action ever trialed by Army was the 95. They were trialed in the Philippines and interesting enough were found to slow to reload compared the bolt actions of the time.

Well, I don't agree. I like the clips with Ted Nugent. He is genuinely excited and loves the subject matter. He gives an enthusiastic down to earth common man's view. Not that Ted is common... :D

Are there things about the show I'd change if I was in charge? Sure, but I could say that about any show or subject, after all, I'm an opinionated SOB just like everyone else. No offense meant.

Grizz

Well, I don't agree. I like the clips with Ted Nugent. He is genuinely excited and loves the subject matter. He gives an enthusiastic down to earth common man's view. Not that Ted is common... :D

Are there things about the show I'd change if I was in charge? Sure, but I could say that about any show or subject, after all, I'm an opinionated SOB just like everyone else. No offense meant.

Grizz

I suspect they are using as many Outdoor Channel personalities as they can to keep with their audience. While I shy away from Nugent as a firearms historian, his comments about Michigan Deer camp and Nov. 15 were very good. I hunt in the Michigan UP and can connect with those comments. While you do need to touch on the old West in regard to the 94, I personally think they should have focused a lot more on the deer hunting legacy of the 94.

Grizz

None taken. We are all opinionated SOBs. We have to be or we wouldn't take the time to post on the wire.

My problem with Nugent last night is that he didn't strike me as knowing all that much about the 94. I would love to see him in a reflective mode, actually giving thought to a topic before talking. After all he is being paid for his opinion. I have to admit that he is colorful and a lot of people love him.

As to the show generally, I like it a lot. Since Cowboys (a truly educational show that I actually made time to watch) has been taken off the air, it is my second favorite Wednesday Night At the Range show. My favorite is American Rifleman. I also like Shooting Gallery and Gun Nuts.

I like Shooting Gallery a lot, Gun Nuts not so much. Best Defense (and Best Defense Survival) has some good info, and I watch them if I happen to catch them on, but I don't go out of my way to see them. YMMV. I used to watch Wednesday Night at the Range pretty much start to finish, but now find myself watching Gun Stories and then finding something else to do. When the new episodes of Shooting Gallery start up next year I'll make time for that as well. Not that I dislike the other shows, they just don't grab me enough to watch them week in and week out, especially the repeats.

Archived