SASS Wire Forum

Another new guy

Bodine

Yeah I know; "Oh brother, here we go again." -_-B)

OK, so I'm new to the whole SASS scene, been doin 18th century and civl war stuff since 1988, so my gun knowledge is mainly flintlock and caplock front-stuffers, so thes cartridge guns are a new world for me.

I sold some of my old hobby stuff and bought a used Colt SAA .45lc clone for my wife to begin training for the ounted Action side of this hobby. Got a nice one reasonable enough at a pawn shop(Uberti made for Cabela's) it shoots great and the action is slick as you could hope for. No problems here.

So, she's getting closer to being ready to compete and I sold more of my 18th century hobby stuff to buy her second gun from a fellow reenactor. I'll leave the buyer beware story out of this, but it came today filthy dirty uncleaned and the firing pin is loose as a goose and bent. I know the pins are supposed to float a little bit, but this is really not right. It is a Liberty Arms Nevada model in .45lc, blue with a nice case hardened frame, and brass grip frame. On the hammer is a place where there used to be some kind of safety device (?) that was removed and the "hole" left as-is (ugly notch). I paid too much for it, got burned and learned.

My question/problem is: where can I find a replacement hammer without the ugly hole, firing pins, and where in west-central Missouri can I find a competent and reliable gunsmith that specializes in cowby action guns? The action is stiff as a wedding... never mind, it's just stiff. I'd like to get this slickered-up asap for her to use, and eventually I will probably join the ranks of SASS too after i get rid of more reenacting stuff. (I also have a nice Jager Dakota model in .44-40 that I got from the estate of an uncle, like new, less than 50 rounds fired through it).

OK, sorry for the rant on my first post here, but I was right ticked-off that I trusted someone again and got burnt. Hope someone can offer up some help. Thanks a bunch.

Bodine

If you have Civil War uniforms, hang onto them, they are worn by more than a few.

I've not heard of the 2nd gun you bought, but I do know several shooters who left the cavity on their hammers alone after taking out that part. You may have to try either getting a light main spring (mail order, Internet, etc) or lightening the one you have. It's likely it was made by a more recognizable company. Do you see any other company's name anywhere? Uberti, Pietta, Armi San Marco, etc?

I just wanna say it's way cool that you started with muzzleloaders first and then got into cowboy cartridge arms...that's the road I took also.

WELCOME and happy shooting in the future...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Try Schnicklefritz at the Gun Garage in Higginsville. thegungarage@yahoo.com

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

First of all, welcome to the fire. You've got a good start on the pistol thing and some of the folks closer to your area can hook you up with a good smith nearby. Are you only interested in mounted shooting or will you and your lady be joining the cowboy action party as well? If you're interested in cowboy action and have some cap and ball pistols you can use them to get started.

Look up Capt. George Baylor's introduction to cowboy action shooting, and his Frontiersman For Dummys if you go cap and ball. Some of the other folks here can give you more specific directions to the Capt.'s tomes but you should go to a match nearby and watch and ask all the questions you can. Don't worry, we all started out the same way more or less and we're happy to help!

The good folks over in Lenexa, Ks. have a great range and lots of good folks to shoot with, and Titus A. Gnatsass and Noz. are fellers to ride the river with. Rowdy Buckshot and Tame Bill come to mind as well.

Once again, WELCOME!! Be Safe. Have FUN!! :FlagAm:

Well thanks for all the friendly welcomes!!! That's the way I like to start out. Again, sorry my first post came after a disappointment, hopefully things'll start pickin' up from here on in (or out?).

I'll try to respond in order;

Go West: I have a few uniform pieces left, and I hung on to my civilian stuff too. I have some less then historical stuff that'll work startin' out too I think. nobdy else has heard of this liberty Arms either, but it looks just like my Jager Dakota, it was most likely made by Armi San Marcos. The Dakota does not have the safety thing. The notch will need to be filled in or filed down because it has a sharpie stickin' up and I can see it drawing blood. Thanks for the welcome and info!

Gunner Gatlin: Thanks pard! I been hooked on "rotten eggs and sulfur" since I was thirteen. I'll be 50 this winter. See ya on the trail!

Fingers McGee: Thanks for the info, I'll be checkin' that out tomorrow for sure! Good to know ya!

Blackwater Desperado: Thanks for all the info! We are just starting out in the Mounted shooting and i figured I'll just make the switch over so we can enjoy the whole cowboy thing eventually. I will be looking for some events to attend as an observer for a few before I decide if I wanna be a shooter. had some bad experiences in real-life when I was young, and gunfights kinda make me twitchy. ;) It'll be nice to find a place where the kids and momma and I can all have fun together, they lost interest in the whole colonial thing and never did get into the Civil War stuff, but so far the mounted action thing has 'em all wound-up, so looks like this is the ticket so far.

Thanks again folks, I'll be seeing ya around the forums.

Bodine

Thanks pard!!! That firing line photo is exactly like what iI have, same problem too. If the barrel in that photo wasn't pitted I'd swear it was the same gun!

That's the maker of the .44-40 from the wiki article too. well done sir!

Bodine

I will probably join the ranks of SASS too

Bodine

Probably? Probably? Har! Ain't no "probably" about it Pard. Welcome to the fun. you ain't seen nothin yet.:lol:

Remember to come here first with questions about guns, equipment and clothing. You'll save a lot of money and avoid aggravation.

Thanks pard!!! That firing line photo is exactly like what iI have, same problem too. If the barrel in that photo wasn't pitted I'd swear it was the same gun!

That's the maker of the .44-40 from the wiki article too. well done sir!

Bodine

Through the 60's and 70's there several importers for the Jager SAA's. Over the years I have had several here with various issues (CAS gunsmithing for almost 20 years now). The main problem you will have is finding parts. I do know Jager at one point dropped the hammer block safety and went to a two position base pin safety, so those later guns had a different hammer more like the original (sans the safety on top). I do know the base pins are a different diameter than the original and I think the hammers are slightly different too.

Wish I had taken the time to record the dimensional difference in the parts but I think I saved one or two of those old safety hammers so I can measure one against an original to see how close they are. Im away from the shop until Friday but if you will email me here; STEVE@STEVESGUNZ.COM I'LL see if original style hammers will work for you.

Thank you Nate! Will do.

Bodine

Probably? Probably? Har! Ain't no "probably" about it Pard. Welcome to the fun. you ain't seen nothin yet.:lol:

Remember to come here first with questions about guns, equipment and clothing. You'll save a lot of money and avoid aggravation.

Are you saying I have no self-control? ;) (ha-ha)

I learned about buying guns un-seen the hard way that's fer sure! :blush:

Thanks for the welcome, I feel at home already fellers.

Bodine

Welcome to the fire for sure. You and your wife will have lots of fun. It is great to have something that you and your wife enjoy. I love shooting with my husband it is great fun.

Painted Filly

Thank you ladies for the welcome. My ol' bones won't allow me to do much hard ridin' these dias, I've had to slow down some since my not takin' care of myself caught-up to me. I just poke along easy like and wrangle for the Missus. She has supported me in all my hobby play through the years, now it's her turn. I'm just the grumpy ol' feller behind the scenes.

Bodine

Bodine, it looks as if you've already had a hard lesson. The best way to avoid more is simply to go to matches and talk to people face to face, watch the shooting, and most importantly hang out at the unloading table where most will allow you to handle their guns and let YOU decide what YOU like. We'll fill your ears full of what we like and why we like it and we're tickled to show you what we shoot.

You're in for more fun than you can imagine. You'll find that for whatever reason this game seems to attract the cream of the crop when it comes to being welcoming and helpful.

I did CW re-enacting for years.

This is much more fun.

I didn't like Civil War as much as I thought I would, only did that for about three/four years. It was just too, well, "military" for my likin'. ;) Had enough of that in the USN!

Colonial reenacting/living history has gotten too full of "anal-retentive" types and they just don't burn powder and throw lead enough for me anymore. The wife and kids got tired of just camping in funny clothes so we are getting kinda excited about getting involved where there is plenty of action going on.

Any chance of mounted and dis-mounted coming together for combined events in the future? That'd be a real hoot I think!

Yep, those hard lessons are the ones I am most familiar with unfortunately, but rarely do I make the same mistake twice!

Bodine

Here is the link to Capt. George Baylors' getting started in Cowboy Action Shooting:

http://www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted01.html

Schnicklefritz is a real good local smith. A lot of the experienced locals swear by him. He is also a black powder kind of guy. He is now heading up the Rocky Branch Rangers in Higginsville. We shoot the first Sunday of every month. We would love to have you.

Schnicklefritz is a real good local smith. A lot of the experienced locals swear by him. He is also a black powder kind of guy. He is now heading up the Rocky Branch Rangers in Higginsville. We shoot the first Sunday of every month. We would love to have you.

Thanks for the invite, I'll have to come up and see what it's all about. I'll send ya a PM with my e-mail.

Bodine

Archived