SASS Wire Forum

first set of pistols?

backwoods outlaw

Don't know anything about those particular models, but I don't see many folks shoot them. .38 is cheaper. Some enjoy shooting larger calibers. Buy what makes you happy.

Make sure you REALLY like the bird's head grip...... <_< I bought one when I first started because it looked kinda neat. B) Hated it for shooting! :P Your milage may vary......

Check out Taylor's Smoke Wagons or their Running Irons. I got mine in .44-40 but I shoot black powder so I got .44-40 mainly for the rifle. Rye

I have a Cimarron Thunderer slicked up by Jimmy Spurs that I use as a backup and a carry gun (.45 Colt 3-1/2" barrel). The hump on the backstrapo keeps the gun from over-rotating in my hand with heavier loads (factory loads of JHP's).

You cannot go wrong with Ruger Vaqueros. They will last forever and are commonly used by many of the best shooters. They come ready to use and are very easy to tune.

If I were starting over, I would contact Longhunter for a set of tuned USFA Rodeo's or Rodeo II's in .45 Colt. These American-made SAA copies are thought to be better made than current Colts and the Italian copies.

If I were starting over, I would contact Longhunter for a set of tuned USFA Rodeo's or Rodeo II's in .45 Colt. These American-made SAA copies are thought to be better made than current Colts and the Italian copies.

Good Luck getting any USFA's anymore!!

Good Luck getting any USFA's anymore!!

I agree with Jack about contacting Longhunter. I have some of his Ruger 357/38's and they are great. I doubt if you can go wrong with anything that Longhunter is putting out. I'm kind of interested in the Cimarrons he is now carrying.

C J

:)

Glad to see you found the wire........you can get some good info here. Remember we shoot this Sunday so you may not want to "pull the trigger" (pun intended) until after the match.......because you can try a bunch of different guns first hand before you commit.

It’s hard to resist the urge to buy right away when you get the fever but that sometimes can lead to buyer’s remorse so be careful and if you do ask all the question first if you choose to do that.

Hope to see ya’ Sunday!

cough....cough....cough.......Ruger. :lol:

A few considerations reguarding calibers:

1. .38 will be cheaper to shoot whether you reload or buy factory ammo.

2. If you reload, it is convenient to have your pistol and rifle calibers match. Even if you use a different load for each, having one type of brass and primer makes things easier.

3. If you plan to also shoot Wild Bunch, your rifle caliber will have to start with a 4. If starting from scratch, the most cost effective way to shoot both CAS and Wild Bunch would be to buy .45 pistols and rifle and a '97 shotgun.

There is iron in the advice that you should hold a lot of different guns before buying. Recently one of our club members (who is well known on the wire) wanted to upgrade his guns. Actually he wanted to drop from 45 to 38. At one match he borrowed and shot several different guns with different grips. On one stage he shot my SASS Vaqueros. On another he shot Hondo Tucker's Bisley grips. I think I saw him looking at somebody's birdshead grips. He settled on Bisley grips, but he settled knowing that they fit his hand best. Every hand is different, every grip type fits some hands better than others. Oh, my pard also bought from Longhunter. He is really satisfied with his decisions.

For sure, buy based on knowledge rather than what looks good to your eye, grip shape and caliber are very important. I do not like the Thunderer or Bisley grips but do like Birds Head or small Navy size grips. Caliber is going to be based on several considerations, cost, whether reloading, smokeless or BP and other factors are quoted by people for their caliber choice. As to the Ruger deal, I started out with Rugers but left them and never looked back! In all honesty it was due to the big old plow handle that the Old Vaqueros had, the new models are much better for my hand. I tend to like the variety of pistol styles offered by Uberty and Pietta also. What you want to do in SASS will go a long way towards determining the answers to most of your questions BUT be sure you have already handled the gun style and understand how the feel will relate to match conditions. Sometimes what you feel in the gun shop isn't applicable to the range and shooting styles used there.

I am about to buy a pair of cimmaron thunderer stainless steel does anybody know anything about them. What caliber should I get them 357 or 45lc.

.38/.357 vs .45 the winner will be whatever your bank account says. .38/.357 is cheaper and there are a couple of commercial reloaders that make 'em very affordable if you don't reload.

Have you had a chance to hold a pair, and maybe shoot 'em?

I would strongly suggest you gets these worked on before getting them. You might be able to by them directly from Longhunter Shooting Supply and have them do action work on 'em at the same time.

Welcome Pard!

What to buy depends on so many variables.

Yep, .38s are cheapest. So, I shoot them for my main match guns. I also use a '97, which works for Wild Bunch (WB).

However, like folks said, you need a 45 rifle for WB. You also must use 45s in Classic Cowboy. In CC, you must use a '87 or a double.

I love shooting the Plainsman side match, so I have an '87 SG for that. It requires cap and ball pistols and a single shot rifle.

I recently started shooting WB and am addicted. Love the 45 1911 and stoking the '97.

The bottom line is that it is difficult to find guns you can use in every potential circumstance.

Take Junky up on the offer and try out a variety of things at that match.

Good luck,

Allie Mo

Welcome Pard! Yup!

You also must use 45s in Classic Cowboy. In CC, you must use an '87 or external hammer double.

Doubles with internal hammers like the Stoeger are not allowable in CC, but are ok for Frontiersman. (Go figure. I never understood CC shotgun requirements. Oh well...)

Take Junky up on the offer and try out a variety of things at that match. Yup! Guns are like shoes -- they gotta feel good. What feels good to one shooter may not for another shooter. Try before you buy!

Thanks for letting me pile onto your post Allie! :)

There is iron in the advice that you should hold a lot of different guns before buying. Recently one of our club members (who is well known on the wire) wanted to upgrade his guns. Actually he wanted to drop from 45 to 38. At one match he borrowed and shot several different guns with different grips. On one stage he shot my SASS Vaqueros. On another he shot Hondo Tucker's Bisley grips. I think I saw him looking at somebody's birdshead grips. He settled on Bisley grips, but he settled knowing that they fit his hand best. Every hand is different, every grip type fits some hands better than others. Oh, my pard also bought from Longhunter. He is really satisfied with his decisions.

Yup! :)

Welcome to SASS, the Wire and (most of all) to the Greenville Gunfighters! Hope to meet you in person at the match this Sunday. I believe we are also having our first Wild Bunch match the following Sunday so you'll get a "two-fer" this month.

I would echo the comments about "test driving" some different guns at a match (or two, or ten) before you buy. I happen to shoot the SASS Edition New Vaqueros in .38/.357 and you are welcome to shoot them 'till they break.

I have a friend in Florida who is a new shooter. He wanted to shoot .45 Colt which is fun but more expensive to feed. Anyway, we found a deal on GunBroker, a pair of new Uberti Hombre revolvers for $250 each. The dealer also got some .357 Hombres but I think those may be sold out. Just another option.

If you decide you have to have a birdshead grip there is another possibility on that.

I joined sass when I found it in Sept.I have a pair of costom cimarron 4 3/4" nickle P's. I have 3 AWA longhorns 4 3/4", a Pair of cimarron lightnings that are all 357 or 38 and I love them all. I bought a pair of ruger Bisleys ,shot 5 rounds out of each one and sat them on my tail gate at Lake Charles and sold them. the rugers dont fit me. You will have to find what fits you.

Archived