SASS Wire Forum

Hammers sticking

Maybe 5 to 10 percent of the time it seems my hammers on both of my SASS New Vaqueros are sticking. This just started about three weeks ago. I do slip hammer and it seems I can be going along and all of a sudden when I pull the hammer back and release the hammer has a little hiccup. I thought it might be a burr but my friend pointed out that it would likely not be happening to both guns as it is. Now I am wondering if it could be the springs or what it could be. Any help is greatly appreciated. Both guns probably have at least 10,000 rounds through them of live fire and each probably has at least 2,000 rounds of dry fire. They are about two years old.

Dream Chaser SASS#79316

There is a tolerance for the cylinder frame to hammer clearance and for the grip frame to hammer clearance. It has been my experience that an occasional Rooooger will have a narrow, or off center grip frame channel. If the pistol is assembled with the grip channel off to one side it can bind on the side of the hammer.

The one's I've cleaned and reassembled often have a bit of play for getting the grip frame centered on the hammer to prevent binding. Sometimes, when lining up the hammer so it works (with light springs), the grip frame doesn't line up cosmetically with the cylinder frame -- which is not a functional problem.

So, check the position of the grip frame relative to the hammer and cylinder frame.

If it NEVER happens when yer running the gun slow, and only happens once in a while, my thinking is ya may have some drag going on (maybe a little rust) with the bolt (ruger calls it a cylinder latch, the gizmo in the frame down in the bottom of the cylinder window.) Any "goo, rusty crud, etc on the pivot or the plunger that locks the bolt will cause it to run slow. Another culprit would possibly be goo, rust, etc in the plunger on the back end of the cylinder base pin, causing it to operate slow, and the transfer bar is "tripping over" the back of the firing pin when ya yank the hammer FAST and the sluggish plunger ain't keeping up. A complete teardown and cleaning, and proper lube job might be all ya need.

Two things I've run across that both start as an occasional hiccup. One is the transfer bar is about to fail. The other is the plunger on the hammer. I dry fire my Vaqueros quit a bit and have had a couple of transfer bar failures. I've gone to replacing them once a year, and that has fixed that problem. If the plunger is a problem, you can tell if it doesn't move smoothly.

If you can get into your guns, that's what I'd check. If not, either Ruger or a cowboy gunsmith can help you out.

Bflo

Sounds like you might have one leg of the trigger spring off peg on both guns. Dropping a leg of the trigger spring has been touted as a poor mans action job for Rugers.

Hmmm. No d-i-y types here.

Your conservative count is 12,000 cycles so my questions is when, if ever, you have had them apart for detail cleaning?

While you are cleaning the gunk out, closely inspect the parts (which ain't hard cause there not many) and replace the springs.

Hey, it just occurred to me. Are you using WD-40 on your guns?

Archived