SASS Wire Forum

The Last Stand - Florida State Championship

Sam and Sun speak truth.

I traveled across America every year to attend this match. Drove there (yes, from California) twice. Every past and present member of the TLS Committee, the berm marshals, and the wonderful people (particularly those on the Stealth Posse) made it worth my while.

What sticks in my mind is all the friends I have made over the last ten years. Many of them I would never have crossed paths with except for

The Last Stand. My daughter, Hawkeye Gin became a cowboy shooter and a part of out sport because of The Last Stand. My younger daughter, Beck A. Boo never got to shoot at The Last Stand. The empty, sad feeling of this situation is hard to express.

On the other hand, Florida has a vibrant and competitive Cowboy Action Shooting community! Our game is too much fun to let politics mess it up. We will keep on shooting and we will have a new State Championship.

Thanks to all of the shooters who have come to Orlando over the years. My memories of TLS will last a liftetime!

So Sam this was your fault?

Zack who is going to get Rigry his rice now?

Rigry no work for free, I go back to rail road, they give me lots of rice.

From Drifter, Throwdown and myself to all the TLS committee members for the past five years the boys and I had the time of our life, thanks!

This is Rigry

See you on the rail line

In my view, TLS was the best match to be found anywhere in the nation and I've seen a bunch from sea to shining sea.

The committee was made up of some of the most dedicated, hard working, generous and capable group of people I've ever had the pleasure to know. That match will be sorely missed by many many cowboy shooters all across the country however the committee had no real choice but to cut the ties as Stan indicated in his original post.

Having said that, I think I know the cowfolks here in my home state pretty well and am totally confident another club will pick up this challenge in short order and do a magnificent job.

Finally, I'd like to close with a sincere thank you to each and every member of the TLS committee and a salute of respect and admiration for all they did for our sport over the years. You've left a grand legacy that will be very difficult to match. I would also like to salute and thank all those who regularly traveled great distances to join us year in and year out as well as all those locally whose loyalty was so evident that they could be counted on to be part of each TLS for more than a decade. You inspired the committee to excel and we always enjoyed having you with us each year.

We'll see y'all at the next Florida State Championship....wherever and whenever that may be in the coming year.

Terrible news! Dusty Levi's and I attended The Last Stand in 2011 and had a wonderful time. We were planning to be there in 2012. Thanks to all the committee members for a great shoot. You pards put on an excellent match and should be proud of The Last Stand! We will be at the next FL Championship when it comes up. Regards, Deacon Henry, Dusty Levi's & The Shadow Riders, LINY

Sad News for sure. A Great Shoot. The Commitee made it fun and challening for everyone. Glad we got to shoot in a couple. Thanks to all. NBC

This certainly is sad news. :angry: TLS 2011 was my first, and I was so very impressed with how well it was run. Like so many others, I was looking forward to TLS 2012. I don't know if we Georgia folks can thank Stan and the gang enough for the great experiences we had at the Florida state match this year.

Hope Rigry can get his lice somewhere! :wacko:

Sad news……I never made it and now I really regret that. The folks from FL are a great group of folks and we get to see often in the SE but not having The Last Stand to look forward to leaves me feelin’ a bit empty. I wish you all the best.

Well, there goes my chance at winning the Sole Survivor of The Last Stand trophy....I felt I was making progress toward that goal.

Just got to ditto all the things that have been said by others re: the folks who put this match on for years......special Cowboys and Cowgirls that I am proud to say I get to shoot with on a regular basis. Thanks guys and gals...TLS was an event that was just automatically booked from year to year.

Club politics are eating up a lot of good matches around the country....too bad for sure.

Johnny

When I first heard about 2011 being the last year for TLS I was down right upset, hell I still am.

I only had the opportunity to attend TLS for the past four years and every year it just got better and more exciting. Last year the match ran fantastically. I was really looking forward to 2012.

I know that it is going to be big shoes to fill, but I am hoping that another club picks up the State match soon.

I want to say a big THANK YOU to the committe members for putting on such a great match over the years.

See you all on the trail.

I can't even begin to tell you guys how much this makes me sad, mad, downright disappointed, and, well, THIS JUST SUCKS! :angry:

After having our good friend Chuckaroo tell us about this match for years, we finally had the opportunity to shoot there in 2007 once both of our kids graduated from public school. This was the first out of state match that we had ever attended and, even though the host hotel left something to be desired (Haven't stayed in a Marriott since!) we went back in 2008, 2009, 2010 (Possibly the coldest match we ever shot and we are from Maryland!) and again in 2011. We already had our travel booked for 2012 we just hadn't gotten our applications mailed yet. Lil Feathers and I even had plans for 2021, the year our Grand-Daughter would be 10 and her Mom will let her shoot!

I can say without reservation that the venue was great, the props were incredible (I will never forget the river stage from Rooster Cogburn) and the Berm Marshals were outstanding! The Last Stand Committee members, both past and present, always went above an beyond to make sure that the shooters had a great time, an exciting match, and a phenominal Top Gun Shootoff. My family posse has set targets for the shootoff for the last three years because that way we got the best seats in the house! Every year the Last Stand Committee fixed what didn't work out as planned, improved what worked, improvised when necessary (i.e. heaters in the tents for the Bar-B-Que during the 2010 mini IceAge), and never let us down. To have a group of shooters, not just us but a whole passel of Marylanders, travel 900 miles for a match, year after year, says something about a match and the group that put it on. I will personally miss spending sidematch day with Greta Dee and Dynamite Deed at the Pocket Pistol & Derringer stage. Lil Feathers probably shot more ammo there than she did during the match.

A BIG THANK YOU TO THE LAST STAND COMMITTEE, PAST AND PRESENT, FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE!

Dogmeat Dad, Lil Feathers, DooHickey, and PyroDex

Some of my most memorable moments from the Last Stand,

I got my smiley face hat at registration around 2004.

Wettest match I ever shot around 2000. The county came in on side match day and evacuated the range!

Coldest match I ever shot in, 2010. In the teens with snow and sleet!

Making Weewahootie smile, 1999. Before it was the state shoot. Again in 2006.

The kindness of all the shooters while raising money to help Delta Glens brother.

2nd place stallion in the Cheeks and Chaps contest, 2008. I also found out how much alcohol it takes to get me into that contest.

Hanging out with Tequila and Bounty Hunter at the hotel bar, around 2001. That was when they had a very blonde Russian bartender, that did not speak English, but it didn't matter.

The great times around the bar at the Embassy Suites.

Found out what Red River Ray keeps in those Mason jars.

The Judges private birthday "present" from Kate before they were married, around 2001 or so. When the match was held in October.

Making the shoot off, around 2005.

Worst match performance I ever had anywhere, 2011 (I was hoping to repair that memory in 2012). I dropped an unloaded pistol on one stage, then skipped two rifle targets on another. Got two misses, a safety and a procedural. 18 second stage with 30 seconds in penalties!

And most of all, the many many friends I met up with each year. Collectively, the nicest bunch of cowpokes anywhere, ran and attended THE LAST STAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep waking up thinking I just had a bad dream. I miss it already.

Thanks for the memories,

Roo

Archived