SASS Wire Forum

The Last Stand - Florida State Championship

It is with heavy heart that we write to inform everyone that the Last Stand Committe put on their final match this past January. The board of the central florida rifle and pistol club have made policy changes that the current committee is not able/willing to comply with going forward. The Last Stand Committee is confident that a Cowboy Club in Florida will step up and put on a great match in 2012.

Over the years we made some great friends and some awesome memories. It has always been our desire to put on a "Shooter's Shoot". Wewant to thank all those that have attended for their support and We hope to see everyone on the trail!

The Last Stand Committee

Santa Fe River Stan

Weewahootee

Delta Glen

Dang It Dan

Ol-Glor-E

Greta Dee

Brucester Diamond

Oakley Mouse

Jesse Toothpick

Hawkeye Gin

Dominator

Stan, this news really saddens me. My home state and best shoot every year. Thanks so much to you and all the committee folks over the years that made this match a great one. :wacko: :wacko:

I am really bumbed out now. Can't say how much I enjoyed my trip to visit you guys each January.

I know how this kind of thing goes, but it does not make it any easier.

Roo

Very sorry to hear this, Stan. The 2011 Last Stand was my first and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I genuinely appreciate all the effort that you and all the other members of the Committee put in for so long. Look forward to shooting with you soon at Ft. White.

Cassalong Hopidy

Simply "Shocked" to hear this. Last Stand was "The match" that was a must for all of us. There was always more then just shooting at Last Stand, the comaradie, the stages written and set up for the shooters enjoyment, yet challenging, etc. A sad day to hear this.

Thanks to all the committee members and those that gave so much of their time, that has made memories to be carried for a long time. MT

Wow! I just can not believe it. This indeed was always the best and my favorite shoot. I am just glad that I had a chance to be a berm marshal. Thanks so very for all your hard work and I am sure that it will continue in another venue. All the best!

Stan that makes me very sad. Even though we have not been able to travel the last couple of years TLS was the shoot I always looked forward to. I cherish my shoot off badges more than any plaque or buckle I have, it was a shooters shoot, but everyone could have fun. Thank you for many years of fun and enjoyment, future shooters are going to be denied the fun that TLS offered. I promise you this it will not be forgotten, there is not a week that goes by that I don't reference something we did at TLS.

Stan and the whole Last Stand Committee,

This really makes me very sad. I was just filling out our applications.(seriously, they are laying on the counter.) I just can't believe this has happened. We have come back to this shoot every year since we moved. This shoot has been a great shoot year after year. Thank you to everyone that has worked so hard to put on one of the best matches in the Country and the best shoot-out by far. January just won't be the same without this shoot to look forward to. :(

Sixgun Sallie

I just talked to Mouse, what a shame. Well if any club in Florida can make it happen, just let me know and Wigley, Drifter and I will be there to help out.

Thanks to the Last Stand Committee for putting on such wonderful matches over the years. And thanks for letting me be a small part of it. I had a lot of fun!

The Last Stand Committee has historically put on a class A shoot. It was one that I looked forward too. I do hope I get to see you guys and gals down the road. It really saddens me to hear this....thanks for the great shoots that you have put on.

Thanks all.

KK

Well dang it all to snot. I've read about the match and always kinda thought I might figure out a way to get to it eventually.

I too am curious as to what the policy changes were, but appreciate and respect your stance not to spell it out and debate it here.

Here's hoping another facility or club steps up to host the match.

Grizz

Dang, this is bad news. The Last Stand is the only shoot that my wife has ever gone to with me.

Some warm weather and sunshine is a welcome break from winter snow and ice in Michigan.

I just hate the thought of not coming to Flordia next January.

Thanks to the committee for all their hard work. I guess good things don't last forever.

J. R.

Guest Chance Ramsay, SASS#18962

Dang it all. And we just expressed to folks at EOT to come down and shoot with us. The Doodle Hill Regulators would love to help out by having the match, HOWEVER, our 3 bays just can't hold the shooters. We can't even park the cars. Thanks to all the Committee and Wee Wee for the last 12+ years for all their work.

See ya'll on the trail.

Chance & Chancey Lady

WELL, THIS SUCKS. The Last Stand is/was my favorite match of the year. Like Dingo and Sally, my application/check is filled out, in an stamped envelope and ready to go. I really feel bad for all of the shooters who will not get to attend this once great match. I really, really feel bad for all of the committee members and everyone else who have strived so hard to make TLS the absolute best match around the Southeast. I thank you all for the great times I have had at the matches over the years. I certainly hope another club can pick up where Stan and Company left off. A very sad day indeed.

I really don't know what else to say, except THIS SUCKS.

Cypress Sun

Thanks to all the Committee and Wee Wee for the last 12+ years for all their work.

See ya'll on the trail.

Chance & Chancey Lady

Yup, this would have been our 15th year for TLS, and our 12th as the State Championship. Shades of Mule Camp.

I am heartbroken about this, but someone will have an opportunity put on the State Match. If they do it right, they will be excited, nervous, worried, mentally exhausted, physically wrecked, sunburned and ultimately personally fullfilled by looking at all the smiling faces right after the first shot goes down range. At least that was always my experience.

Committee members do it for the personal satisfaction and for the benefit of the shooter. I hope there are phones ringing around the state right now as someone breathes quiet whispers of the "possibilities".

Guest Coyote Calhoun, SASS #201

This really takes me by surprise. I hate to see such a great match be lost. I know the club members who have worked hard to make it a success are hurt the most. The Last Stand was one of the better matches in all of SASS and it will be a hard act to follow. Thanks to all that worked on the Last Stand you made us all proud.

From SASS' standpoint the SASS Florida State Championship needs to happen! The Last Stand was awarded the SASS Florida State Match in 2012. Since this is such a surprise to all, SASS will allow clubs in Florida to discuss this matter and any club that would like to host the State Championship will have until October 1st to apply. If more than one club applies then it will be up to the Territorial Governors to vote for the club they wish to host it. If a Miracle happens and the Last Stand can still hold it, they will get it back.

Thanks again to the Last Stand Committee and all who helped.

I've had a bad day today at work an I see it ain't got no better here this evening! :angry:

One of, if not tha best matches I went to for years was TLS. There will be a hard time fillin tha boots of tha ones who ran it. Dam I reckon its a sign of tha times.

Thanks to all of ye that worked that match for years, bless you all.

RRR

I was really looking forward to shootin' on the Stealth Posse again in January. I will miss this match, it was the highlight of the shooting year. ( not to mention getting to go to Florida in the winter! )

My sincere thanks to all those involved in putting on this match over the years. It was a great ride!

I wish it was April 1st and someone wud come on an say gotcha!

I want to thank everyone involved with the great shoot, I had the pleasure to shoot the Last Stand for several years and thoroughly enjoyt myself. Heck, I evun bought place in FL jus soze I cud be a state winner,,,well maybe that was strechin it a bit....bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will be a tough act to follow, but I sure hope sumwon does!!!!!!!!!!!

disappointed deeply,

Cheyenne :huh: Culpepper

It's been a while since I'd made it back there, and I'd hoped to do it again soon.

I am saddened by the demise of TLS, and will treasure the memories (& the coveted shoot-off badges I have!) that much more.

I am in the firm belief that the pards I've met there from other FL clubs can rise to the occasion & bring us a first class FL ST match.

Good luck to y'all!

Three year break from SASS, though kept my membership after shooting Last Stand in 2008 and two monthly matches. Then quit CAS to start off shore fishing and charter boat captain. Member of Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club maintained just because.

Shot 2011 Last Stand and got hooked hard on CAS for all the qualities described so well by those above. So I bought new guns and shot all local matches since then. Stage times cut in half.

2012 Last Stand application and check sitting with 4 other annual match applications for mailing.

Today, I played my second round of golf this month after a three year break and made three birdies.

Then, I read this sad news.

I will gladly give up all present and future birdies for another Last Stand. Sign me up for manual labor and any other assistance I can provide.

Amarillo Rattler,

p/k/a Amarillo Fella

Kissimmee, Florida

Well, I first heard of this by phone. I really thought someone was trying to pull my leg, HOPING really I guess. I'm with Sun. THIS SUCKS!

My Thanks goes out to the Committee for all the fun times and memories, you guys and gals put on a great shooting event!

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've lost 'til it's gone..."

I had the good fortune to make it out there, and I list it among my favorite matches, ever. It was always on the books to find a way to get back.

Thanks for all the hard work, you guys 'n'gals; I hope someone picks up the mantle, and is respectful of the size of the shoes they will be filling.

Time to tip the hat to the old legend, and create a new one!

Best,

FJT

What can I say. I have been wondering around for the past few hours remembering the past 9 Last Stands. All the great stages, people and the good times. I'm surprised how many stages I remember. Each year seemed to get better and better. It was the cap on the holiday season. For years it was Merry Christmas, the next week Happy New Year and then The Last Stand.

I want to thank everyone that over the years put in all the hours of work so we could show up and shoot and have a great time.

I'm sure wherever the state championship ends up I'll be there it will be a great venue but I will miss the Last Stand

Wyatt

I agree with Sun - THIS SUCKS!

As a member of the Central Fl Rifle and Pistol Club, the base club for the Last Stand, I guess I better start going to meetings again. I have no idea what those Yahoos are up to.

My personal thanks to the Last Stand Committee for all the hard work they have done over the years.

Archived