SASS Wire Forum

BP Shooter

Grizhicks

All -- As stated in another post, new to CAS and had my first shot this past Saturday. I'm shooting Frontiersman, and really had a BLAST!!!

But, due to the time I spent reloading my pistols, I was missing part of the experience. I also shoot IDPA, and part of the fun is talking to other shooters while waiting my turn and between pasting targets. I know that the reloading will get a faster, but it still takes a good portion of the time between shooting, and I felt I wasn't doing my part (scoring, picking up brass, etc.). Is this just me, or just part of being a BP shooter?

Thanks, Grizhicks

All -- As stated in another post, new to CAS and had my first shot this past Saturday. I'm shooting Frontiersman, and really had a BLAST!!!

But, due to the time I spent reloading my pistols, I was missing part of the experience. I also shoot IDPA, and part of the fun is talking to other shooters while waiting my turn and between pasting targets. I know that the reloading will get a faster, but it still takes a good portion of the time between shooting, and I felt I wasn't doing my part (scoring, picking up brass, etc.). Is this just me, or just part of being a BP shooter?

Thanks, Grizhicks

I shoot 45 Colt using BP...loading is just like any other firearm

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Howdy Grizchicks,

I, too, shoot BP cartridges - 45 in my pistols and 44-40 in my rifle. This is one direction you may want to go. Alternately, perhaps you can purchase extra cylinders for your pistols. As long as they are safely stored in your cart or on your person, I don't think it's a safety issue. I believe the pistol is not considered loaded until you cap it at the loading table. That way, when you are finished with a stage, you could just remove the shot cylinder and replace it with a loaded one. One extra cylinder per gun would cut your reloading time, giving you more time for comraderie.

I am however, no expert on this. Hopefully, some of our Frontiersmen and other C&B shootists will chime in.

Shakey

Frontiersman is a law unto itself and you will find that your time spent at the loading process will shorten over time. Which gun are you shooting, often each gun style has some or many little shortcuts used by its fans. I used to love the Remingtons, with enough spare cylinders one could load up at home the night before and spend almost no time at the loading bench, beyond capping. Ask the pards to share their range loading tips and shortcuts, I'm sure you will get plenty of help. Just do not try to rush it to much as this can cause accidents.

I think if your taking care of your rifles, pistols, loading strips and such.. I don't think anybody is gonna have any qualms about you not doing your part..

BUT... when your done... if you stand around and visit.. (just like we all like to) and your posse doesn't see you working a loading or unloading table... picking up brass (most appreciated)... spotting when your qualified..

Then your posse members may figure your there to shoot only and not be part of the experience...

At out local shoots there is a statement made for everybody to hear before a big match starts.

"You will be remembered better for how well you worked on your posse.. than how fast and well you shot!"

Rance <_<

Thinkin' ya need to work on your posse when able..

Everything else will take care of itself

Enjoy.. and welcome to the fire :)

I've seen cap & ball shooters man the unloading table, helping out the posse by clearing other shooters as they charge their cylinders. You might check out Captain Baylor's site for some good loading procedures to minimize mistakes if you are going to do this.

When I shoot c&b, I remove the cylinder every time and use a stand alone press, like this one. Makes the loading go really quickly and gets me back to the posse.

I used to shoot nothing but 1858's. I have enough cylinders to shoot a 2 day match plus a 4 stage side match. They were relatively cheap, bought over a number of years.

But, I got tired of cleaning all those danged cylinders and put together a reloading kit. Now I reload at the range. What I do is work the unloading table and reload between shooters.

But, if I'm on a small fast moving posse, I have to foresake posse duties and just reload. In those cases I can just barely get it done before they move on to the next bay and start reading the scenario.

For me, popping the cylinder out and using a reloading press is faster than using the lever on the pistol. Others are just as fast using the reloading lever on their pistols and its one less thing to carry. I suppose its what you're comfortable with and what you practice doing.

I usually work at the unloading table as I reload my cap guns.

Plenty of time to work, chat, & still get yer guns loaded.

--Dawg

You will get faster as you become more experienced.

If I'm not shooting at one of my home clubs, I usually man the unloading table and charge my pistols there. At home club matches, I'm usually the RO so I have to get my pistols charged quickly. It usually only take two shoters to get both my pistols recharged. I do not use a cylinder loading stand, but, have a revolver stand built on to the side of my guncart.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/fingersmcgee/100_1261.jpg

I do like some others have already posted. On the first stage, I let everyone know I'm shooting C&B and will take the unloading table and plan on shooting last. You will get faster loading when you figure your own way and what works for you. Your new and everyone will understand. Some will say you have entered the sport the hard way with C&B, the most labor intense firearm, but I love it just the same.

As mentioned, your proficiency in reloading C&B will improve. Eventually it should take you only a couple of minutes per pistol, leaving you plenty of time for other things.

I try to shoot early in the posse order so I can work the unloading table for a spell. I have a kit that contains everything I need and have it waiting for me at the unloading table. It fits in my cart when moving from stage to stage. I also run the timer some when needed or spot for others when called upon to do so.

You get faster and more organised as you go along and it becomes second nature after only a short while.

Welcome to the world of Cap'N'Ballers. :FlagAm::lol:

Everybody else is missing the fun of Powder..... Ball..... Grease..... Cap.....

PLEASE be careful on the unloading table idea. Last month when I started to man the unloading table with my gear, Old Smelly John "the goat keeper" started making a ruckuss about it being his turn to man the unloading table fer his bp chores, claimed I had been doing it ever month. Well I have known fer years that he was considerably older and in worse shape than I, so I took him up on his challenge. To make a long story short, while he was busy a beating the snot outta me, thet rotten rascal Dunjin Man gathered his possibles at the unloading table and stole our job!!! If the swelling goes down around my eyes enuff fer me to shoot next month, Im gonna slip off to the toilet between stages and load up. This was without a doubt the most embarrassing fight Ive been in since the lady in the wheel chair challenged me fer thet dang Wal-Mart motorized cart!

Prarie Dawg and the others got this right, work the unloading table, plenty of time to load your stuff and safely watch others while helping out the posse. Thats what i was told when i started shooting the 1860's. Ya get plenty of good conversations and even some terrific advice from the veteran shooters while you are there.

Load em hot and heavy

Ornery Oaf

I usually work at the unloading table as I reload my cap guns.

Plenty of time to work, chat, & still get yer guns loaded.

--Dawg

I can vouch for the Dawg on that, he evens finds time to run the timer! ;) Rye, who shoots FCD so I don't hafta mess 'round with them balls and stuff!

I've been shooting C&B for 10 years, I know I'm nuts. Once you get a pattern down it takes me, as one cowboy said, about 2 shooters at the unloading table. to get it done. Just don't loose track of where you are in the loading process.

Using wads over the powder also speeds up the process, Lubing on top of the ball is slow and gets messy.

Ike

Thanks, Grizhicks

I also shoot Frontiersman and work the unload table. I can usually reload a pistol in 2 shooters, maybe 3 if they are faster then average. The unloading table gives me a chance to socialize, make snide remarks and do all the C&B stuff that needs to be done. As since the unloading table seems to be one of the least popular chores for some reason, I can make sure that it gets done.

It usually only take two shoters to get both my pistols recharged. I do not use a cylinder loading stand, but, have a revolver stand built on to the side of my guncart.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/fingersmcgee/100_1261.jpg

+1

Same amount of time but my loader is built into the top of my gun cart.

The big time loss will be the people standing around watching you load and asking questions.

Like Fingers, I will frequently RO half of the posse, shoot, load and be ready to start the next stage.

I do like some others have already posted. On the first stage, I let everyone know I'm shooting C&B and will take the unloading table and plan on shooting last. You will get faster loading when you figure your own way and what works for you.

What Fingers and Bob said, you will get faster after a few more matches. Ask to shoot last, this way you can load while watching the unloading table for the first couple of shooters, then you'll have time to work with the posse till time to shoot. Welcome to SASS, and Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Using wads over the powder also speeds up the process, Lubing on top of the ball is slow and gets messy.

Ike

I use a large basting syringe with lube in it to grease the balls. A spot on the base pin also. Pretty easy and not messy that way. Remies run all day. Loading or unloading table, if they're full, get good at loading and you'll find it dosen't take long.

CR

THANKS to ALL !!! Looks like the reloading table is the place to be, so I'll try that next match. Again, thanks for all the answers. -- Grizhicks

I don't even use grease anymore. I consider it a 20th century affectation. :lol:

Archived