SASS Wire Forum

New Shooter (& ?'s about SASS & $$)

Grizhicks

And, the Wire is SASS. You don't hear the types of arguements that you hear on the Wire when you're on the range because the Range ain't the place for it...duh.

Cheers!

Phantom

:FlagAm:

+1 -- Isn't it funny how people get downright friendly when they're face to face & there's loaded guns around ! :)

SASS isn't the Wire - problem with the Wire, people make assumptions about another sometimes because they didn't express themselves very well (or it's misinterpreted), didn;t get the whole story, etc etc. It's the sad way of the cyber-net.

Now..where SASS is really SASS is when one goes to a match, meets folks, talks directly to 'em and more than likely can undertand each other, it's fellowship...that's how I kinda look at it. The Wire is cool for hookin' up as folks with a same passion, gettin' some info, even havin' fun (though folks get a wee bit thin-skinned and we know how that ends up), but also a special way we can support each and hear news about pards...but it's a slice of the real deal, of which is gettin' out and physically shootin' at matches or meetin' folks...that's where the REAL SASS is at. It was that way before the internet...that way now...well, at least how I see it. The Wire is just a simple communication device, but it does have its importance too....I like both, but take what happens out there more seriously than things here on the Wire (except for situations where folks need prayer or other kinda need).

GG ~ :FlagAm:

+1 -- Isn't it funny how people get downright friendly when they're face to face & there's loaded guns around ! :)

Yup! - kinda the 'an armed society is a polite society' thing :D

Yeah...an armed society is a polite society ;)

But honestly, folks go to shoots to enjoy a few hours away from reality. We just don't get into any real KD Drag-out debates when at a match.

CAS would survive without the Wire...but the Wire wouldn't survive without CAS. So...take what ya want from that.

But the Wire does give ya insight into how folks think and feel...which is info that you don't when at matches...thank God!

Phantom

Yeah...an armed society is a polite society ;)

But honestly, folks go to shoots to enjoy a few hours away from reality. We just don't get into any real KD Drag-out debates when at a match.

CAS would survive without the Wire...but the Wire wouldn't survive without CAS. So...take what ya want from that.

But the Wire does give ya insight into how folks think and feel...which is info that you don't when at matches...thank God!

Phantom

Ditto!! Well said..

Let me get this straight.

You are a new shooter who just shot his first match.

I will assume that you paid the grand sum of $45.00 to join SASS.

And now you are taking a strong position that no one should make a profit off your $45.00, ignoring the fact that you are not buying stock in SASS but only paying for the right to participate in the sport it invented and nurtured and the benefits it provides.

As a matter of principle, you should boycott SASS and refuse to renew your membership. That wil fix their clock.

Of course, you may also have shot your last match, because most CAS clubs require shooters to be SASS members and all State and Regional matches have the same requirement.

If you cannot afford the $45.00, you sure can't afford to play this game, and I'm sure that you wouldn't want any of the stockholders of the firearm, ammunition, or component makers to make a profit on the larger sums you would have to spend if you continued playing our game.

My real advice to you is to immediately GET OVER IT and get on with enjoying the great game of Cowboy Action Shooting and enjoying the greatest group of people you will ever associate with.

Of course, you may also have shot your last match, because most CAS clubs require shooters to be SASS members and all State and Regional matches have the same requirement.

I don't think so.

I believe most local clubs do not require SASS membership for their monthly matches. Most folks do join SASS because the benefits fair outweigh the nominal fee. Also it's just the right thing to do, to join up and be in the gang.

State level and above matches then yeah SASS membership is required.

Not to overlook all those that make a living as a result of what the "sport" has offered. The gunsmiths, gun manufacturers, clothing manufacturers, leather makers, food vendors, hotels, rv camps, rv dealers, western entertainers, etc. etc. etc. As recent as 15 years ago it was hard to find many of those I just mentioned. It is because they can make a profit that they are able to do what they do. Because of profit, today we have more choices and more places to shoot. I wish they and more can make a bigger profit. I hope they strike it big. They certainly deserve it for their great effort and large risk. The Wild Bunch most of all. They actually are in the process of creating an entity that might just last for time. They deserve big rewards for attempting to create a permanent cowboy shooting facility.

I'm a huge NFL fan. Have been since I was old enough to watch TV. In the CAS shooting sports I can CHOOSE to give my money for participation and value in return. I'm forced by law to give 2% of every dollar I take in to pay for the work place of men that just had a fight over dividing up 9 billion dollars. You want to be indignant about something try that.

I don't think that you have to be a SASS member to shoot in matches do you? Maybe on the State or Regional level, but otherwise no one I know checks for membership. Heck, as far as getting your money's worth, for 10 bucks at our club you shoot 6 stages, get a free hot lunch and if you shoot clean, a jar of jam. Hard to beat that! :)

What kinda jam?

Strawberrym Raspberry and Apricot...but if you send me some Mayhaw's from the swamp we could have 4 types, Possum! :lol:

Grizhicks,

If you haven't noticed we live in America and it's call free enterprise. If you don't like the way that the Wild Bunch and SASS conducts their business then feel free to play elsewhere at whatever game you are inclined.

90,000 + Cowboys vs. 1 Whinner.

I think I'll hang with the Cowboys.

Conejo.

Some of the best days I've had on this Earth, and the best friends that I have ever made, is because of Cowboy Action Shooting. I expect that everyone who has posted here would say the same. Whatever ya'll may think of WB policies or plans, or profits, try to keep that in perspective. I would spend a helluva lot more than $45.00 a year for the treasure trove of friendship and good times that I have had, because of SASS.

Including a whole bunch of folks on this here wire.

Cheers,

FJT

p.s. I'm afraid I'm gonna want to hear more about that jam, too...

I think as long as SASS continues to accept new memberships, it owes the membership. They owe us continued efforts to keep the oranization growing. They owe us a continued effort to make the game more enjoyable...make the game a draw for younger folks...etc.

And, the Wire is SASS. You don't hear the types of arguements that you hear on the Wire when you're on the range because the Range ain't the place for it...duh.

Cheers!

Phantom

[size="4"]SASS is a business, make no mistake about that. They like any other business have the right to make a profit. How much of a profit is none of my business. If they continue to offer what the customer desires they will prosper, if they ignore the customer they will fail. It follows that it is in the best interest of the Wild Bunch to keep the customer happy and they do a pretty good job of it, sure it’s not perfect far from it but I believe they do the best they can to keep everybody happy.

If as a customer of the SASS business I am not happy with the value I get for my $45 dues then I will stop patronizing them just like I would with any other business.

My dues are paid for another year and I see no reason why that will change.

And thank goodness the wire is not SASS.

Looking forward to meeting you around the camp fire somewhere down the trail with a good bottle of old stump blower to share. After for our mutual safety we look the guns safely away[/size]

I know what it costs me to play this game and I don't really care how much the WB makes in the way of profit but the OP stated in post #26 that he had probably gotten some bad info, was seeing things clearer, etc., etc. Should have been the end of the topic.

Now, here some 26 or so posts later people are still treating him like a redheaded stepchild. He asked a question and I know he shouldn't have, him being an upstart with only one match under his belt. How dare he??!!!

If he goes away after the way he was treated some will say good riddance but that is sad.

I know what it costs me to play this game and I don't really care how much the WB makes in the way of profit but the OP stated in post #26 that he had probably gotten some bad info, was seeing things clearer, etc., etc. Should have been the end of the topic.

Now, here some 26 or so posts later people are still treating him like a redheaded stepchild. He asked a question and I know he shouldn't have, him being an upstart with only one match under his belt. How dare he??!!!

If he goes away after the way he was treated some will say good riddance but that is sad.

Royal I was going to post something similar but you beat me to it.

Some of the best days I've had on this Earth, and the best friends that I have ever made, is because of Cowboy Action Shooting. I expect that everyone who has posted here would say the same. Whatever ya'll may think of WB policies or plans, or profits, try to keep that in perspective. I would spend a helluva lot more than $45.00 a year for the treasure trove of friendship and good times that I have had, because of SASS.

Including a whole bunch of folks on this here wire.

Cheers,

FJT

p.s. I'm afraid I'm gonna want to hear more about that jam, too...

...gotta get you more beef jerky :) resend me your address via pm and I'll 'git 'er done'...using brisket now instead of top round.

CLOSED; CLOSED; CLOSED

No, I have not gone away (nor am I). Thanks to those who posted (above or via PM) encouragement and/or infomation.

I'm not going away, but plan on staying around and doing my part.

BUT, as far as this is concerned, I consider it CLOSED.... Grizhicks

Even if ye are the OP ye don't get to declare a thread closed. Not around here. Only a moderator can do that.

Still I think I probably speak for everyone that we are happy you are going to stick around. Welcome to the fire pard.

Always wear your asbestos long johns when posting here and don't let anyone else's posts get under yer skin. You'll have a more harmonious outcome.

I get flamed a lot. No biggee. If a person can't cut me off or fire me I doan keer whut they say or think. Free country. But I believe ye have found the best place in the whole dern unee-verse to hang out. We all just love it here, me especially. Even when we fuss and feud a lil bit, it's all good!

Even if ye are the OP ye don't get to declare a thread closed. Not around here. Only a moderator can do that.

Still I think I probably speak for everyone that we are happy you are going to stick around. Welcome to the fire pard.

Always wear your asbestos long johns when posting here and don't let anyone else's posts get under yer skin. You'll have a more harmonious outcome.

I get flamed a lot. No biggee. If a person can't cut me off or fire me I doan keer whut they say or think. Free country. But I believe ye have found the best place in the whole dern unee-verse to hang out. We all just love it here, me especially. Even when we fuss and feud a lil bit, it's all good!

Ditto pard! :lol:

About the jam....The first shoot we had at Mima Marauders, we didn't have any clean match ribbons, so I told Okie that I had just made jam and we could give the shooters who shot clean a jar of jam. I make it from local fresh Washington fruit and it is good. If you want to try it just send me your address and what type you want and I will send you a jar...apricot, strawberry or raspberry. If I was still in Louisiana I would make Mayhaw. :)

Ok...I thought I had heard of just about every kind of Jam there is at some point in life....but what in the heck is Mayhaw?

Mayhaw is the name given to the fruit of the species of Crataegus series Aestivales that are common in wetlands throughout the southern United States. Mayhaws grow in moist soil in river and creek bottoms under hardwood trees. The fruit ripens in late April through May, thus the name mayhaw. The fruit is also found in bayous surrounding lakes, such as Caddo Lake on the Texas/Louisiana border. Mayhaws are often collected out of the water from boats to be used to make jelly.

Now you are an expert. :) All I know is that it is good stuff.

Mayhaw is the name given to the fruit of the species of Crataegus series Aestivales that are common in wetlands throughout the southern United States. Mayhaws grow in moist soil in river and creek bottoms under hardwood trees. The fruit ripens in late April through May, thus the name mayhaw. The fruit is also found in bayous surrounding lakes, such as Caddo Lake on the Texas/Louisiana border. Mayhaws are often collected out of the water from boats to be used to make jelly.

Thank you for the rundown on Mayhaw.Sounds good...how do us northerner's get some to give it a try?

Now that thar is a great example of why I frequent the Wahr! Where else can one politely exchange opinions with a great group of folks, and at the same time learn some of the most arcane, eclectic and interesting things?!

I'll be back in the south later this year, and I'm gonna try to find some Mayhaw Jam! :D

Harvey

Archived