SASS Wire Forum

Sharps vs. C. Sharps

Dungannon Gunner

Can anybody tell me why two gun makers with almost the same name in the same town in Montana? Can anybody share any positive experiences with either company?

Oh man...there's a story behind it... some will chime in.

I like C Sharps for a number of reasons..

..and you'll see folks here that like Shiloh for a variety of reasons.

Shiloh's are pretty to look at, but the equal fit-and-finish of a C Sharps along with its ability to make a 50-140 rifle at the time made the choice clear - for me :D

Those in the know also report that both shoot equally well...along with a Pedersoli

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Sorry: had to get my bias out of the way :P

C.Sharps are the ones with "Old Reliable" on the barrel. Used to be in Farmington New York. Receivers are machined

from solid steel not cast as were the ones from Shiloh Sharps. Fit and finish are top notch. Both go KaBoom! Just sayin'

Big Jake

In 1976, after a hiatus of some 95 years, a company called Shiloh Products was formed and set about the business of making Sharps rifles. Due to one reason or another, there was a falling out in 1983 between the original owners of the new company, Shiloh Products became Shiloh Rifle Manufacturing Company and an offshoot opened down the block with the name C. Sharps Arms.

C.Sharps are the ones with "Old Reliable" on the barrel. Used to be in Farmington New York. Receivers are machined

from solid steel not cast as were the ones from Shiloh Sharps. Fit and finish are top notch. Both go KaBoom! Just sayin'

Big Jake

Lettin' secrets outta the bag! lol...:lol: .....:D

G (not to mention the Badger Barrel......:unsure: ...did I say soemthin'?) G ~ :FlagAm:

BTW: I am no BPCR 'expert', but have investigated the issue to feel happy with my investment...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I bought my first C. Sharps rifle more than ten years ago. At that time, C. Sharps production time was approximately 5 to 6 months. Shiloh Sharps was around 4 years!

A friend told me horror stories about Shiloh Sharps. He ordered a Shiloh Sharps; they quoted an 18 month delivery time. He paid his deposit, got on the waiting list. Some months later he's told by Shiloh the delivery time was extended, AND, he had to increase his deposit to remain on the waiting list. According to my friend, this happened several times, and it took him more than 4 years to take delivery of his rifle. There is no way in God's green earth I would submit to that sort of treatment, from anyone.

I drove up to Big Timber and visited C. Sharps. I had a chance to meet the owner, and to look over the various rifles. I ordered an 1874 Sharps in .45-70. The rifle was delivered on time. Quality of the fit and finish were excellent. And, the people at C. Sharps are really nice folks, and good to their word. They've always treated me right. Over the years I've bought two more rifles from the. In both cases they shipped the rifle on or before the promised date. The quality of their work is excellent. I give C. Sharps the highest recommendation. I've never had any dealings with Shiloh Sharps.

I bought my first C. Sharps rifle more than ten years ago. At that time, C. Sharps production time was approximately 5 to 6 months. Shiloh Sharps was around 4 years!

A friend told me horror stories about Shiloh Sharps. He ordered a Shiloh Sharps; they quoted an 18 month delivery time. He paid his deposit, got on the waiting list. Some months later he's told by Shiloh the delivery time was extended, AND, he had to increase his deposit to remain on the waiting list. According to my friend, this happened several times, and it took him more than 4 years to take delivery of his rifle. There is no way in God's green earth I would submit to that sort of treatment, from anyone.

I drove up to Big Timber and visited C. Sharps. I had a chance to meet the owner, and to look over the various rifles. I ordered an 1874 Sharps in .45-70. The rifle was delivered on time. Quality of the fit and finish were excellent. And, the people at C. Sharps are really nice folks, and good to their word. They've always treated me right. Over the years I've bought two more rifles from the. In both cases they shipped the rifle on or before the promised date. The quality of their work is excellent. I give C. Sharps the highest recommendation. I've never had any dealings with Shiloh Sharps.

In regard to the wait, Shiloh was a victim of its own success back in the 90s, but I believe the wait is no longer as a bad as it once was. A friend of mine just recently received a .50-70 1874 military rifle and only waited about 8 months and Shiloh produces only limited runs of round barrel guns. BTW, I have an original 74 military rifle, though in .45-70, and with only a few minor exceptions the guns are almost identical. Also, Shiloh often has finished guns in stock and if one meets your fancy, it can be purchased without the wait. In reality, it really doesn't matter which way you go, both Shiloh and C. Sharps produce excellent Sharps replicas that are know for their accuracy.

Both make great guns. I favor C Sharps for the simple reason they make a 1885 and Shilo does not. Have one in 38-55 and a 45-70 and they are beautiful and shoot lights out. When I visited Big Timber, C Sharps made me feel right at home and gave me a tour of the shot. Not so friendly at Shilo.

In 1976, after a hiatus of some 95 years, a company called Shiloh Products was formed and set about the business of making Sharps rifles. Due to one reason or another, there was a falling out in 1983 between the original owners of the new company, Shiloh Products became Shiloh Rifle Manufacturing Company and an offshoot opened down the block with the name C. Sharps Arms.

I have a Gemmer Sharps that has "Old Reliable" and C. Sharps on the barrel, with a receiver marked Shiloh Sharps, Big Timber Montanta. I always thought it was a Shiloh, but have been told it was actually built by C. Sharps using a receiver supplied by Shiloh - who was the "supplier" at the time. Confused yet? :blink:

A few years back my wife and I visited Big Timber and I dropped in on Shiloh to tell them how much I enjoy the rifle they built for me (.40-65). Phyllis, the main gal at the desk walked me into the back and let me and the wife wander around in the back and talk to the folks that made my rifle. I shook hands with all the folks, and it was evident that they took EXTREME pride in what they are doing. They made me feel right at home and literally walked me through the entire building process. It was a delight to meet the folks that made my most prized firearm. Yes, they use investment casting and hand fitting the parts takes more time, but the end result is a work of art.

Went across the street and knocked on C. Sharps door, it wasn't open. A gentleman came and asked my intent, it was John, the owner of the company. He personally led us through the process of C. Sharps rifle manufacturing including firing up one of the computer machines that make parts from billet steel. It was evident that he took EXTREME pride in his product. I met and talked with the young man that did the stock work, a real nice kid with a great work ethic.

To sum it up, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a rifle from either company. Having seen first hand the time, effort and pride that goes into these guns makes me appreciate the cost vs. product satisfaction to the consumer. I have shot my Shiloh out to 600 yards, it'll shoot better than my ability. I have shot my pards C. Sharps at the same distance, guess what, it'll shoot up to the shooter's potential as well. Flip a coin and pick yer poison, it'll be worth it either way.

Both Shiloh and C Sharps are equal in quality, fit and finish.Both are of the highest quality.

I prefer C Sharps, though, as the owner,John Schoffstall and I have become friends over the years(and I am a C Sharps dealer) and Shiloh won't give you the time of day..Corporately, C Sharps is by far the most pleasant of the 2 companies to deal with and also always deliver on time.I have visited both Shiloh and C Sharps..Shiloh wouldn't even give me a tour of the facility(I am a dealer for Shiloh as well) while C Sharps took my wife and I into the shop and showed us each step in the building of a Sharps Rifle

Conclusion: C Sharps is easily the better company to deal with and their rilfes are superb.I can't recommend them high enough.great company, great rifles!

Last summer my wife and I stopped in at the Sharps manfg facility and while the workers, I mean CRAFTSMEN AND WOMEN were out to lunch the owner gave us a guided tour of the shop and took the time to explain how and why every step was done. From making thier own screws and pins to the barrels and stock work. Its hard to imagine the skill and pride of craftsmamship that comes out of that little building. We left there with a 1874 in 45-70, as a "souvenier". That is the showpiece of my safe! We cant speak highly enough of these folks and thier products

Last summer my wife and I stopped in at the Sharps manfg facility and while the workers, I mean CRAFTSMEN AND WOMEN were out to lunch the owner gave us a guided tour of the shop and took the time to explain how and why every step was done. From making thier own screws and pins to the barrels and stock work. Its hard to imagine the skill and pride of craftsmamship that comes out of that little building. We left there with a 1874 in 45-70, as a "souvenier". That is the showpiece of my safe! We cant speak highly enough of these folks and thier products

Nice testimonial on Sharps manfg, though you don't say which one. Shiloh Sharps...or C Sharps. Both in Big Timber Mt. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Whoops, thanks fer keepin me awake.... I should have clearly stated that is was the Shiloh Sharps folks that treated us like a couple of VIP's. They were great.

Archived