SASS Wire Forum

Video with time in the picture?

Howdy,

Does anyone know of a video camera that has the ability to show the shooting time on screen when taping a stage being shot? I would like to use this for training to show where time is being lost when shooting a stage.

Bear Butte

Not any way that I know of, you'd have to have a time built in to the camera that would start at the same time as the shot timer. Some of the bigger video cameras may have a date time stamp that can be turned on to show up in the video, but I don't know that they get specific enough, you'd want down to hundredth of a second.

However, when playing the videos back, the players often give a running elapsed time at the bottom, it doesn't really matter how that jives with the shot timer it will still provide the information you are looking for.

I suppose if you wanted to get creative, you could build a setup that would mount to a tripod along with the vid camera that would hold the shot timer in view of the camera..

Yup! Check out any of the world record setters on YouTube and you'll see that all they could do was have the timer in plain view while filming the shooter.

You might be able to find a way to mount the timer to the camera and still have it portable as opposed to being on a tripod.

Just my 2¢

But you did ask

+1 to what Grizzly Dave and Cascade Charlie said, but ... (there's always a "but", isn't there)

There are camera systems (it's actually the recorder that does the magic) out there that are able to imprint data on the recording "on the fly"; they're used heavily in motorsports, where it's an offshoot of datalogging.

Where it gets tricky for our game would be in getting the shot timer to output a signal that the recorder could interpret ... Well, that, and the cost.

As with anything in life, it's all about what you're willing to spend. :blink:

B)

Howdy,

Does anyone know of a video camera that has the ability to show the shooting time on screen when taping a stage being shot? I would like to use this for training to show where time is being lost when shooting a stage.

Bear Butte

Don't know of an inexpensive camera that does that but some of the better video editing softwares have a provision for synching up music/voice overs with the video. You could probably get your video to synch up with the elapsed time (reset the timer to zero when the buzzer goes off) and that would tell you how long for pistols, then watch timer for how long for rifle etc.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Don't know of an inexpensive camera that does that but some of the better video editing softwares have a provision for synching up music/voice overs with the video. You could probably get your video to synch up with the elapsed time (reset the timer to zero when the buzzer goes off) and that would tell you how long for pistols, then watch timer for how long for rifle etc.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

That there I think is the way to do it, in editing superimpose a timer readout that can be started on the buzzer. No clue how to do it, but sounds reasonably doable.

Grizzly Dave is on the right track.

I would use two cameras, one on the shooter and one on the timer. Depending on the software you use you can then "superimpose" the timer feed on the video of the shooter.

That said it does take, or at least used to, a decent editing program. I used to do my editing in Final Cut Pro.

Just my 2bits from the comfort of my office chair ;0)

A simple way of doing this is to film the stage. Then have the TO bring the timer over and film, total time, and then time for each shot sequence by counting shots for each gun used. This would give the shooter time, and how long it took for each shot/gun sequence.

Makes it easy for the camera guy, the TO does his job, and no technology to screw up. Looking at the time for each gun tells the story for time improvement.

Ike

When I make a dvd of whatever is on my camcorder the timeline shows elapsed time from frame to frame. Cyberlink powerdirecter.

Archived