SASS Wire Forum

The ejector rod

Oddnews SASS# 24779

I saw one of the military history type shooters use the ejector rod differently than most of us. He claimed it was the method taught by the US Cavalry when the 1873 Colt was first issued...

Hold the gun by the grip in your right hand, thumb the gate open, then eject the empties with the ejector rod with your left hand index finger while rotating the cylinder with the heel of your left hand.

He could do it very quickly, and it made sense to maintain a shooting grip on the gun, as if you were reloading during a battle on horseback. I tried it, and it would take some practice, but talk about style points!!

• 3 weeks later...
I saw one of the military history type shooters use the ejector rod differently than most of us. He claimed it was the method taught by the US Cavalry when the 1873 Colt was first issued...

Hold the gun by the grip in your right hand, thumb the gate open, then eject the empties with the ejector rod with your left hand index finger while rotating the cylinder with the heel of your left hand.

He could do it very quickly, and it made sense to maintain a shooting grip on the gun, as if you were reloading during a battle on horseback. I tried it, and it would take some practice, but talk about style points!!

I'll have to try that sometime. I usually hold the gun in my left hand and work the rod with my right, indexing the cylinder with two fingers of my left hand. The empties fall into the palm of my left hand. I too am always mystified by shooters who show up at the unloading table and repeatedly bang the grip on the table to shake the empties out without ever using the ejector rod.

Then again, I love showing up at the unloading table with my New Model Number Three.

Unloading

Strange........ I looked at my 1860 replicas and my #3 Russians and I can't find ejector rods nowheres. :blink::wacko::lol:

Come to think of it, my '58 Remmie and the '51 Navy don't have one neither. :unsure:

Oh!! Waitaminute!! Them Blackhawks my wife and son shoot gots ejector rods! :rolleyes:

When I had my '51 Navies converted to cartridge I noticed teh same problem. Lucky for me my 'smith Happy Trails provided a nice Period Corect Poker Outter device.

My Poker

Although nice it was to big to carry in my vest so now I use a door hinge with a bend in it to go around the wedge. :P

When I had my '51 Navies converted to cartridge I noticed teh same problem. Lucky for me my 'smith Happy Trails provided a nice Period Corect Poker Outter device.

My Poker

Although nice it was to big to carry in my vest so now I use a door hinge with a bend in it to go around the wedge. :P

W.B.B., I tried one like that, but it seems to stop against that nipple thingy in the back of the chamber! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 5 weeks later...

I tried this, and practiced it a few times with both my Ruger Orignal Vaqueros and my Uberti Cattleman. It works very well for both! Especially the Cattleman.

In Hunter Scott Anderson's (AKA Bounty Hunter) book "Cowboy Action Shooting" he describes three ways to eject empty rounds. One method was as you described using the left hand to rotate the cylinder and work the ejector rod (page 36 and 37).

Siesta

Archived