SASS Wire Forum

The ejector rod

Oddnews SASS# 24779

Why do people not use the ejector rods on their revolvers at the unloading table? I simply don't understand this. I've seen people rapping, rapping fairly hard, with the butt of the revolver on the table, when moving their finger 3/4-inch would clear the round. I don't get it.

Personal preference I guess. In my case, first couple stages the cases fall out, but after that I need to use the ejector rod. Thanks for mentioning it...I may need to get a better style with a more pronounced crescent or 'bulls-eye' - the one on the 'original model' Vaquero is small and sometimes the finger tip slips.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Oddnews,

that one knawls on me sometimes also. And when the 'butt rap' on the table don't work, they try to pry it out with their fingernail.

Once, while being the Unloading table officer, I actually had to suggest to someone about using the ejector rod to help them clear an empty. Get this: They didn't realize that part of the gun was for that purpose. That was a new revelation to them.

Yes, it was a relatively new shooter and was a safe shooter, but they were not very familiar with their pistols.

..........Widder

Might have something to do with the ejector rod itself. The rod housing on my Open Tops has a detent where the finger lever/flange rests. You have to rotate the rod off the detent before it can be pushed into the cylinder. It's sort of a clumsy arrangement, especially with Ubertis where the rod runs close to the wall of chamber. If the cylinder isn't properly indexed, the rod can hit the lip of the chamber. I keep my OTs really clean so the cases fall out without tapping and I don't have to use the rod.

My Rugers on the other hand, are really easy to use.

...Once, while being the Unloading table officer, I actually had to suggest to someone about using the ejector rod to help them clear an empty. Get this: They didn't realize that part of the gun was for that purpose. That was a new revelation to them.

Yes, it was a relatively new shooter and was a safe shooter, but they were not very familiar with their pistols.

..........Widder

BTDT...but with an "experienced" shooter. When he started banging the heel of the grip on the ULT to dislodge a "stuck" case, I pointed out that there was a "thingie" (technical term) under the barrel that might help.

:rolleyes:

BTDT...but with an "experienced" shooter. When he started banging the heel of the grip on the ULT to dislodge a "stuck" case, I pointed out that there was a "thingie" (technical term) under the barrel that might help.

:rolleyes:

Yup. MY tactic exactly.

FWIW with low pressure smokeless loads in .45s, if ya need to use the ejector, it's time to clean yer guns. Hold em nose up, 15 degrees or so off vertical, and slowly roll the cylinder. They slide right out.

I find that the newer shooters had been taught by a shooter with a .45 Colt whose cases just fall out. Most .45 shooters never use the ejector rod unless the gun is really dirty. Some of the newer shooters had never handled a six-shooter before and weren't familiar with all the working parts. Just sayin'

Big( who always uses the ejector rod) Jake

[i actually had to suggest to someone about using the ejector rod to help them clear an empty. Get this: They didn't realize that part of the gun was for that purpose. That was a new revelation to them.

/quote]

a lot of shooters are not 'gun people',or shown how to use said gun.sadly.

I had a seasoned shooter/range safety officer no less,chide me for having my finger on the trigger at the ult while letting the hammer down after uloading my colt clone.my. I 'splained to him that colts and clones ain't roogers. He did get a litle embarassed ,but now at least he knows.

BP shooters always use the rod. :lol:

Personal preference I guess. In my case, first couple stages the cases fall out, but after that I need to use the ejector rod. Thanks for mentioning it...I may need to get a better style with a more pronounced crescent or 'bulls-eye' - the one on the 'original model' Vaquero is small and sometimes the finger tip slips.

That's one of the things I did after I got my 'original model' Vaquero. I really like the bullseye ejector rod. Its got a 'COOL' factor.

One of my guns has a broken ejector rod ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Try getting one up here ,,, North of da line ...

Bulls-eye for black-powder frame Uberti "Cattleman" 5 1/2 .45 cal.

Jabez Cowboy

One of my guns has a broken ejector rod ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Try getting one up here ,,, North of da line ...

Bulls-eye for black-powder frame Uberti "Cattleman" 5 1/2 .45 cal.

Jabez Cowboy

Call EMF in Santa Ana Calif. General U.S. Grant Sass #2 owns the company. Boyd Davis. Ask them for the parts needed. Just sayin'

Big Jake

That's one of the things I did after I got my 'original model' Vaquero. I really like the bullseye ejector rod. Its got a 'COOL' factor.

I'm gonna check into it for sure - thanks pard!

I recently shot a monthly match that had an optional,,, (up to a five rounds) pistol bonus reload. Each reload was a 10 second bonus and all you had to do is dump on a huge target. Your total stage score could not be a negative time,,,, best time you could get was a zero time. It was fun. You bet, the ejector rod came in real handy. I believe my five round reload was 13 seconds and I got a 50 second bonus. I ended up with a zero time for that stage. Cool!!

Sorry for going off topic. :rolleyes:

Blastmaster

Call EMF in Santa Ana Calif. General U.S. Grant Sass #2 owns the company. Boyd Davis. Ask them for the parts needed. Just sayin'

Big Jake

The trouble is Your Government!!!! They won't allow the shippment of gun parts to us,with-out your US companys buying EXPENSIVE export permits .... And our Buerocrates are trying to stop gun ownership with out comming straight out and banning them ... As a Smith I used to be able to buy any parts needed from your side of the line till the dawning of the year 2011 ....

Jabez Cowboy

The trouble is Your Government!!!! They won't allow the shippment of gun parts to us,with-out your US companys buying EXPENSIVE export permits .... And our Buerocrates are trying to stop gun ownership with out comming straight out and banning them ... As a Smith I used to be able to buy any parts needed from your side of the line till the dawning of the year 2011 ....

Jabez Cowboy

Hmmmm - sounds like your government needs a redo.

I recently shot a monthly match that had an optional,,, (up to a five rounds) pistol bonus reload. Each reload was a 10 second bonus and all you had to do is dump on a huge target. Your total stage score could not be a negative time,,,, best time you could get was a zero time. It was fun. You bet, the ejector rod came in real handy. I believe my five round reload was 13 seconds and I got a 50 second bonus. I ended up with a zero time for that stage. Cool!!

Sorry for going off topic. :rolleyes:

Blastmaster

That's what I calls fun! :lol:

WE has done straighed out our Elected Government,,,,, The un-elected officials are Hanger-on-ers from the era of social Engineering (Liberal,,, think Obama type Demmies)....

They is out dated and need replacing ....

Thanks fer da help ...

Jabez Cowboy

Why do people not use the ejector rods on their revolvers at the unloading table? I simply don't understand this. I've seen people rapping, rapping fairly hard, with the butt of the revolver on the table, when moving their finger 3/4-inch would clear the round. I don't get it.

Ejector rod?

That explains why I couldn't ever find the magazine release button! :)

Strange........ I looked at my 1860 replicas and my #3 Russians and I can't find ejector rods nowheres. :blink::wacko::lol:

Come to think of it, my '58 Remmie and the '51 Navy don't have one neither. :unsure:

Oh!! Waitaminute!! Them Blackhawks my wife and son shoot gots ejector rods! :rolleyes:

Time to write a stage where there is a two pistol reload on the clock.... :rolleyes: Ejector rods come in real handy in those circumstances too. :lol:

Yeah right...and risk a neck-tie party.

In the old days, no problem-o. These days, two much negative feedback would ensue...

:excl:

Yeah right...and risk a neck-tie party.

In the old days, no problem-o. These days, two much negative feedback would ensue...

No hanging at a monthly. See post #20. Probably not even at an annual if it was run like post #20.

I think there should be an occasional pistol/rifle reload at matches, just like a clay flier. One (reload and/or flier) per match is plenty. Having a generous bounus for the reload and a makeup for the flier is good business practice for the MD.

Blastmaster

BP shooters always use the rod.

Unless you're shooting black out of cylinder converted Old Armies, then you'll use the cylinder pin. With black sometimes I felt like rapping the gun on the table, but good grief, I had much more respect for my firearms than that. Smithy.

I use the ejector rod.

Holding the pistol in my left hand, I bring the rod back with my right, kicking the brass smartly and completely out of the cylinder.

Release the ejector and catch the falling brass out of the air, before it hits the unloading table.

Do that five times, turn the open port toward the ULT monitor and spin the cylinder with my thumb.

Wait for the "Shes clear", snap the loading gate closed, go to full cock, pull trigger and slowly put hammer down.

Holster that pistol and then release the five dirty empties from my hand onto the unloading table.

Repeat.

Just because the timed portion of the stage is over, doesn't mean you can't still earn a style point or two. ;)

Oh and in response to Jabez Cowboys ejector rod issue...

It's broken and you cannot import a replacement?

I always kinda thought our northern neighbors were a little more self sufficient than that.

I'm sure someone in Canada owns a lathe, milling machine or a welder.

The trouble with making a 8 part on a ONE off basis is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Cost ....

Would you pay me enough to make you a living wage ,,,,,, for the time required to make you the part ....

It's not that I can't make the part !!!! It's few want to pay what it would cost when parts can be mass produced MUCH cheaper elsewhere in bulk ....

Tell you what you-all hand make me those RODS for 8 dollars each and I will buy them .....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived