SASS Wire Forum

A Real Shooting Question

Aunt Jen

Ok.

So you're on a ridge with a long-range rifle, and the bad guys who have been killing aborigines are moving rapidly perpendicular to your line of fire.

I see in the movies where sometimes the shooter will move his rifle with the target, say left to right, and then squeeze one off. But does he have to lead the target that way?

What if you hold your barrel still at a point ahead of the intended shootee, and then squeeze it off when appropriate to do the task?

When they move the barrel along with the moving target, then they're leading the target while they do it?

AJ

Ok.

So you're on a ridge with a long-range rifle, and the bad guys who have been killing aborigines are moving rapidly perpendicular to your line of fire.

I see in the movies where sometimes the shooter will move his rifle with the target, say left to right, and then squeeze one off. But does he have to lead the target that way?

What if you hold your barrel still at a point ahead of the intended shootee, and then squeeze it off when appropriate to do the task?

When they move the barrel along with the moving target, then they're leading the target while they do it?

AJ

Either will work, but obviously one must really know his rifle. Also, when I see this in movies, it usually appears that the actor is swinging his rifle disproportionately fast for the supposed range and speed of the target.

Either will work, but obviously one must really know his rifle. Also, when I see this in movies, it usually appears that the actor is swinging his rifle disproportionately fast for the supposed range and speed of the target.

Yes, I thought that, too. I'm guessing they tell the actors to do that so we in the audience will notice.

AJ

I would gauge the speed of the bullet=time to target vs. speed of target, shoot so the bullet gets to a point the same time the target walks or rides into it. Kersplat!!!! Just sayin'

Big Jake

USMC Scout Sniper Vietnam 1970-71.

I would gauge the speed of the bullet=time to target vs. speed of target, shoot so the bullet gets to a point the same time the target walks or rides into it. Kersplat!!!! Just sayin'

Big Jake

Wow. A real sniper.

AJ

Big Jake

If I understand correctly, you use the second method Aunt Jan asked about? Rather than swing the rifle, you aim at a specific point ahead of the target and time the shot so they walk into it?

Ok.

AJ

Trying to estimate the targets travel versus your bullets time of flight is a challenge, moving the rifle at the same speed as your target is easier,

and it gives you their forward velocity without having to do mathematics in your head.

But, I'm lazy by nature . . .

Shadow Catcher

I am lucky to hit the targets when they're 10 feet away and holding still.

But if I were considering this situation, I'd also think it could be hard to hit distant moving targets because in the time it takes for the bullet to travel there, the target could change speed or direction.

A phaser might work out pretty well...

AJ

If I understand correctly, you use the second method Aunt Jan asked about? Rather than swing the rifle, you aim at a specific point ahead of the target and time the shot so they walk into it?

Yep. It's easy to hold the rifle still and shoot, let the target move into it. Shooting a swinging rifle may not be as easy to hit a moving target with. Just sayin'

Big Jake

P.S. I'm talking 500 yards.

That's why I'm waiting for the LASER rifle. No lead, no drop, just point and pull. :)

That part is easy - it's the batteries that will break your back!

Hi Jen,

I don't shoot Cowboy Trap often. I did at Merlin last month and did poorly. A kind gentleman, the Coho Kid, told me I was waiting for the target. I'd do better following it out of the trap house. I guess he knows what he's talking about as he won the Cowboy Trap.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Jen,

I don't shoot Cowboy Trap often. I did at Merlin last month and did poorly. A kind gentleman, the Coho Kid, told me I was waiting for the target. I'd do better following it out of the trap house. I guess he knows what he's talking about as he won the Cowboy Trap.

Regards,

Allie Mo

That is correct, but you and Big Jake are talking about two different situations: you are shooting at a relatively close target which transitions at a fairly quick rate, while he is talking about much more distant targets whose apparent motion will be much slower. It's not the target's actual velocity that is important, but how quickly it moves through its arc.

Ok.

AJ

Ask "Crocodile Dundee" ? is he the shooter ? :);)

No, not Crocodile Dundee. Wrong movie. She's talking about "Quigley Down Under" When the Aborigines are being herded off

a cliff by Marston's men. He is shooting at the men on horseback. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Big Jake has it spot on, if you know what route your target is going to take then "ambush" shooting works well. You still have to "lead" the target because depending on distance from shooter to point of impact the target will cover some amount of distance between when you break the shot and when it reaches the intersecting point.

Like the old physics demonstration about shooting the falling coconut....If you aimed dead center of that coconut hanging in a tree and broke the shot exactly when the coconut started to fall old man Newton's laws say you should hit it everytime. Both bullet and nut drop at the same rate so if they both fall straight down then you should nail it right where you were aiming at.

When shooting a target that is moving quickly, like a deer that has just caught scent of you, either method would technically work, but it is far, far more likely that you will never have time to get your rifle in position and wait til the perfect time to pull the trigger. You swing to catch up and pass the target just enough and press the trigger all in a smooth motion. A deer running flat out isn't going to give you long to make a shot.

A walking man at 500 yards is a different matter. Listen to the sniper.

Only long shot I made like that was at a coyote around 200 yards with a 22. Single shot I grew up with and had an idea about the bullet travel. Critter trotting along and I had a good 10-15 second watch so I estimated where he was going, heald the rifle still, pop, dang ifen I got him. He trotted right into that bullet. I saw the hit and he went a short distance. Had a grinn on my face after that shot. Think I was 15. :D

Talking 'bout Gravity here is an example. If you take a 30-06 Rifle and put it on top of a step ladder 6ft off the ground, perfectly level with the ground. Hold a loaded 30-06 next to the rifle, drop and shoot at the same time. Both the bullet fired and the one

dropped will hit the ground at the same time. Gravity doesn't care if the bullet is moving or not, the Earth sucks them down at the same rate. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Yep. It's easy to hold the rifle still and shoot, let the target move into it. Shooting a swinging rifle may not be as easy to hit a moving target with. Just sayin'

Big Jake

P.S. I'm talking 500 yards.

Dat's rat. Dat's what dem Airdales do in a dog fight wif bullets to bullets.

BTW, I shoot buffalo targets out to 600 yard wif a original 1873 SpringField Trap Door in 45-70 "Holly Black."

Talking 'bout Gravity here is an example. If you take a 30-06 Rifle and put it on top of a step ladder 6ft off the ground, perfectly level with the ground. Hold a loaded 30-06 next to the rifle, drop and shoot at the same time. Both the bullet fired and the one

dropped will hit the ground at the same time. Gravity doesn't care if the bullet is moving or not, the Earth sucks them down at the same rate. Just sayin'

Big Jake

True, but the one fired from the rifle travels quite a bit further horizontally. The trick is guesstimating the flight path along the way. :)

Archived