SASS Wire Forum

Quigley could not Shoot that Well

Aunt Jen

Oh! I'm watching Quigley Down Under, and I (of course) did notice that he shoots pretty well—straight off the boat.

But how could that be?

Below the equator, his bullet would spin the other way coming out of the barrel! And the wind would blow the other direction. And the fluids in his bodily systems would spin the other way. And the magnetic forces on his rifle would all be different. And he should be fatigued. :mellow:

But I can see he did, in fact, do it. ^_^

Must be good genes.

AJ

The bullet would spin as in the northern hemisphere. Grooves are cut into the barrel and can't change, that's why its so difficult for a Yankee down under. Every thing is working against it's self

Oh! I'm watching Quigley Down Under, and I (of course) did notice that he shoots pretty well—straight off the boat.

But how could that be?

Below the equator, his bullet would spin the other way coming out of the barrel! And the wind would blow the other direction. And the fluids in his bodily systems would spin the other way. And the magnetic forces on his rifle would all be different. And he should be fatigued. :mellow:

Must be good genes.

AJ

Yes, . . . how you wear yur Jeans has a lot to do with it. They must be blue. Other colors throw off yur aim, . . :);)

The bullet would spin as in the northern hemisphere. Grooves are cut into the barrel and can't change, that's why its so difficult for a Yankee down under. Every thing is working against it's self

I take it that you have never witnessed the transmogrification of a gun barrel from right hand spin to left hand spin as it crossed the equator. It becomes a smooth bore if left at the equator.

But how could that be?

Must be good genes.

AJ

amazing what good special effects people can do! :lol: -- GIT

Of course he's the best, why else would they make a movie about him?:P

Of course he's the best, why else would they make a movie about him?:P

I think the

Star of the movie was the Sharps Rifle and Tom Selleck was the co-star.Just sayin'

Big Jake

You see, firing a gun creates a high-pressure area inside the barrel, both behind the bullet and ahead of it. The coriolis effect in the northern hemisphere makes a high rotate clockwise, which from the souther hemisphere would appear counterclockwise—and in fact, in the southern hemisphere it does rotate counterclockwise. Also, that clockwise rotation in the western hemisphere would look counterclockwise to someone standing in the eastern hemisphere (if seeing it line of sight), and we have both the southern and eastern hemispheres at work here, ^_^ so you can see why I'm confused about all this. :o

Also, none of us have mentioned the gravitation affect of the sun on the bullet, which could be different down under, as he's standing upsidedown. B)

And then, of course, there's Australia's place in the earth's magnetosphere. (I've learned all this on Discovery Channel.)

I do thank you all for all your input. I"m sure we'll figure this out soon! :D

AJ

He was a jedi rifleman, Auntie.

The force was with him.

Yeah..................What Badger said !

Aunt Jen must be a Jedi gunwoman....the farce was definitely with her in that last explanation of the transmogrification of a gun barrel!

Aunt Jen must be a Jedi gunwoman....the farce was definitely with her in that last explanation of the transmogrification of a gun barrel!

Ah........................

Say what ?? :blink:

But how could that be?

Must be good genes.

AJ

Okay.. let me explain it to you.. It was not how he shot.. kinda like SAM ELLIOT.. it was how they LOOKED when they shot.. loll

You see, firing a gun creates a high-pressure area inside the barrel, both behind the bullet and ahead of it. The coriolis effect in the northern hemisphere makes a high rotate clockwise, which from the souther hemisphere would appear counterclockwise—and in fact, in the southern hemisphere it does rotate counterclockwise. Also, that clockwise rotation in the western hemisphere would look counterclockwise to someone standing in the eastern hemisphere (if seeing it line of sight), and we have both the southern and eastern hemispheres at work here, ^_^ so you can see why I'm confused about all this. :o

Also, none of us have mentioned the gravitation affect of the sun on the bullet, which could be different down under, as he's standing upsidedown. B)

And then, of course, there's Australia's place in the earth's magnetosphere. (I've learned all this on Discovery Channel.)

AJ

I take it you have a "medical marijuana" card??? Far out man!:P:D

AJ

What I want to know is if you fire a round across the equator (from south to north), does the bullet make a 180 and come back at the shooter? Or does it drop to the ground AT the Equator because it's unable to penetrate the Equatorial Barrier? :lol:

What I want to know is if you fire a round across the equator (from south to north), does the bullet make a 180 and come back at the shooter? Or does it drop to the ground AT the Equator because it's unable to penetrate the Equatorial Barrier? :lol:

Only if yer close enough to Atlantis.

And don't forget the toilets. If the water, in the northern hemisphere, spins counterclockwise when the toilet is flushed and one is looking at it from above........not that I am prone to do that...............but.................it does stand to reason that in the southern hemisphere the water would then spin clockwise when the toilet is flushed!! Coriolis is alive!! So..............yes! Your theory is viable.............just as much as that other one recently posted about the three indian squaws sleeping on different hides!!!

I find posting like this so educational and invigorating :) :) :)

Archived