SASS Wire Forum

Hand Truck Gun Cart

Jgbeerman

Evening Yall-

Does anyone have a modified hand truck that they use as a gun cart? I currently live in an apartment so I am limited to the tools I have so building a nice wooden one will have to wait a little bit.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to make a hand truck a bit more stable or just general suggestions for this type of cart creation.

Thanks in advance

I have seen them made out of a welding rig type hand truck. It looked like it was fairly easy to modify. Hope this helps some.

Dirty Chris made one out of a welding cart from Harbor Freight. I am in the process of doing the same. I was going to get a used one, a nice one at a very good price, but I can actually make this one cheaper, and it will hopefully show a bit more of my personality.

Dirty Chris made one out of a welding cart from Harbor Freight. I am in the process of doing the same. I was going to get a used one, a nice one at a very good price, but I can actually make this one cheaper, and it will hopefully show a bit more of my personality.

Do you have any pictures you would be willing to share?

I built one when I first started shooting CAS.Used a hand cart from ...I think Harbor Freight.Made a simple plywood box and bolted and screwed it to the cart.Then fashioned a top rifle rest out of a ripped and hinged 2x4.UGLY as sin,but it worked until I built a new wood cart.I still use it as a traveling cart because it can ride in the back of my pickup and I don't have to worry about it getting wet or dinged up like I would my new one.Plus it fits into my small car and doesn't take up as much room for a day trip.

Do you have any pictures you would be willing to share?

I hadn't thought of this, but I can take pictures as I proceed. I've just about gotten everything gathered up, so others can learn from my folly.... I mean efforts.

Howdy:

I have two like Charlie Whiskers described. Yup, Ugly as walking five miles of gravel road on a 100 degree day. BUT, extremely inexpensive and quite functional. I just called mine the Grey Mare - HA!

STL Suomi

Howdy:

I have two like Charlie Whiskers described. Yup, Ugly as walking five miles of gravel road on a 100 degree day. BUT, extremely inexpensive and quite functional. I just called mine the Grey Mare - HA!

Would it be possible to see some pictures of the grey mare?

Thanks

STL Suomi

When I first started years ago, I made a box to get by until I got something better.

I started with making a simple box and putting it on an iron hand truck. But the truck was heavier than needed.

Then I found a "plastic" framed truck and moved my box onto it.

I'm still using it and never could justify buying or building something better.

It is light and two pieces - the "truck" and the box. I keep the box loaded up and ready. Then I just put the two pieces in the trunk and I'm pretty ready.

I just took photos and will do a write up of it on a web page for folks to see since some have asked.

My shootin' buddy and I recently made a guncart from one of the welder's carts. but since you live in an apartment, you might not want to use that as your framework, as they are pretty large. You might be better off looking for a used golf bag cart as your base. Should be able to find one at a thrift store or maybe Goodwill. Another option is to use one of those lightweight, folding type hand trucks:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202204471/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The biggest drawback I see with those is the small wheels.

I've been using a hand truck cart for years. I made and bolted on a shelf at the bottom to hold the gun butts, and a wooden cross piece higher up to hold the barrels. The "box", which is held on with bungie cords, was a nightstand. When I had a pickup truck, I would lay the whole thing on its back in the bed of the truck, after removing the drawers so everything in them didn't dump out inside the stand. Since then I now have a car instead of a truck. The hand truck still fits in the trunk but not the nightstand, so I have replaced the night stand with a smaller wooden beer box. Here's a pic of the original: Handtruck guncart

I have taken a bunch of pics of the various details of the pieces but do not have them online at the moment.

When I first started I drove a car that didn't have a big trunk. It wouldn't hold a regular guncart. I bought the cheapest two wheeled hand cart I could find at the local hardware store. I built a large tray and a crossmember. I then bought a pretty good looking wooden "strongbox" at the local hobby center. The tray is divided into two parts. One for the long gun butts and the other for the "strong box." When I arrive at a shoot I connect the tray to the bottom of the hand truck with C-clamps and put the "strong box" in the tray. The crossmember is screwed into the handle of the hand truck. When it is at home I store my "strong box" in my workshop. The tray and hand truck stay in my garage. If I need to move furniture or the occasional refrigerator, it is easy for me to remove the cross member on the hand truck. The cart is ugly as sin but has served me faithfully for the last two years.

I have the same hand truck that Abline has..got it at home depot,and made pieces that unbolt if needed for transport.Abline's is waaay purtier than mine,but here's a link to mine. I"ve since painted it a dark brown.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/Throckmorton/JeffandDadatCanby.jpg

the balloon tires roll nicely over gravel roads,and now that I have a van I just pick it up and slide it in.My 1st one had hard rubber tires,TERRIBLE on gravel/rocky roads.

Let me see if I can describe mine......... I started with a old dolly. At the base I cut a piece of 1/2" wood roughly the size of a old milk crate I had layin around with room on the sides to put gun butt mounts. Drilled some holes in the wood to bolt it down to the flat metal shelf. Attached the milk crate with bungee cords. I had a sportsmans bucket that has a swivel seat on it that sits down inside the milk crate very nicely. Got some cheap gun mounts from Academy for about $10 a piece(2). Screwed butt holders to wood platform then attached upper gun holders to tubes on dolly with U bolts. I usually keep a lead brick in bottom of bucket for weight. Recently I got a couple of large canvas bags and attached them to handle with a big carabiner. Thats what I'm keeping my ammo in as I don't have to bend down into the bucket. The bucket is a empty case dump,water bottle holder, extra earplugs, glasses, etc holder. As of now total investment is around $25

For an apartment dweller, a folding baby jogger is light and easy to store, very stable with 3 big wheels.

Since you don't want to do woodwork, just bungie cord a milk crate into it where the baby would sit, add some uprights to hold your long guns, and that's all.

I added an umprella, a daypack to hold stuff, a small soft cooler, and a Walmart folding stoll with still more bungie cords.

Uprights slip into PVC tubes tied into the milkcrate's corners, and I clamp on a crosspiece to which I bungie the barrels when rolling along.

I knew there was another option; it's been bugging me all afternoon.

Take a look at the Hooligan cart. It's probably more than you originally wanted to spend, but if storage space is an issue, this might be just the ticket.

http://www.buffalobradyleather.com/otherGoods_Carts.shtml

I knew there was another option; it's been bugging me all afternoon.

Take a look at the Hooligan cart. It's probably more than you originally wanted to spend, but if storage space is an issue, this might be just the ticket.

http://www.buffalobradyleather.com/otherGoods_Carts.shtml

Love MY Hooligan, very light, fits in the back of a bmw, easy to carry upstairs and if you ever get tired of it put it up for sale here and it would be gone in a day, just my .02 worth

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies, I greatly appreciate it!

Def getting some great ideas!

When I built mine I had a web page going with an ongoing construction illustrated. Deleted that a while ago. But here are some pictures of it. You can see how it is constructed.

bottom of the page.

Archived