SASS Wire Forum

TTN 1878 Screw Question

Clemsum

I have bought a new TTN 1878 Shotgun and I am trying to disassemble it for initial cleaning. I have down loaded some instructions for this but I am having trouble getting the lock plates off. The instructions only mention removing the screw that is uncovered when you cock the hammer. Having done this and not being able to free the plate I tried taking out the screw indicated in the photo but it will neither come out or tighten, it only spins in place. This screw on each plate does the same thing. I am thinking this is a wood screw that was tightened at the factory until the wood stripped.

Does anyone know if my assessment is correct or if there is something else I need to do?

Thanks

Clemsum

Side Plate

It takes a screwdriver bit on each side to get side plate off, the older ones only had the screw by the hammers, the newer ones have both screws, hope this explains it, not very good, could show you easier than by trying to type, once you put a screwdriver on each side you will see

All for now JD Trampas

The screw on the right side if I remember right will come out, the other stays on, it's a screw going into basially another screw, can't describe it very good but you will see when you take this screw out plus the screws by the hammers, then both plates will come off with hammers intact

All for now JD Trampas

On the older models of the TTNs there was only the one screw behind the hammer. The newer models have a smaller screw to the rear of the side plates. There is one on either side and there is a threaded fitting that connects both screws. If needed take two small screwdrivers and loosen one while holding the other. This will get it going. When one screw is out remove that side plate. Then if needed you can hold the threaded piece with a pair of needle nose to remove the other screw. You may not be able to remove the other side plate without removing the threaded piece.

Now putting it back together takes a little care. Put one side plate on and start the first screw into the threaded piece. Don't tighten the frist screw all the way yet. Place the second side plate on and line the threaded piece up with the hole for the second screw. I use a small punch to get it lined up. When the second screw is started tighten both as needed.

I hope that made sense.

Wily

Thanks for the replies,

I feel better knowing I didn't buy a defective gun.

I had not considered the 2 screws interlocking, I can picture it in my mind.

Thanks to the descriptions they help a lot.

Clemsum

Archived