SASS Wire Forum

Something different to shoot

Colt Walker 45

Just sent the T-Bolt off to have Dallas work his magic, also bought a Schofield and am planning to pick up another Schofield soon. Then come next year after W.R. I am going to start shooting these guns for something different. Question is anyone else getting tired of shooting the same guns and are going to try something else, if so what guns are u looking at, Interested in seeing what others are going to shoot and try.

I shoot Ruger Bisleys, two in .38 special 2 in .45 Colt Uberti "open Tops" in .38 Special, Uberti "Larmie .38 Special, Schofield" in .45 Colt. My rifles include .45 Colt in '66 and '92, .38 (357) in Marlin and '66. My Burgess in 44-40, and my 56-50 Spencer. I have a TTN hammered shotgun and a Winchester 1897. Sometimes I'm not sure until the day before the match which combo, mix or match I'll shoot.

Guest diablo slim shootist

I close my eyes ..reach in the safe..and shoot what ever comes out ;)

seriously i'm trying out a skb in 20gage to go with

my fairly new Montados(love these little guns)and my

2marlins and 73

This pair of 18" Uberti Buntlines is always an attention getter. The holsters & belt are a work in progress. I also have a third one for a back up. Occasionally I'll use a pair of .44-40 Schofields or .44-40 '75 Remingtons. Walkers are always fun! Holster rig. R/M conversions. Griswold & Gunnissons. A few Ruger Old Armies. 1861's. I can't find any shots of my 1860's :(.

My single shot 12g pirate boarding gun gets some odd looks. I've also got three 10g SxS hammer guns and an 1887 that are a bit off the beaten track. This Riverside 12g has seen better days, but despite the patched together stock and leather wrist wrap, it's solid and gets shot a lot - Although it worked fine, I've since replaced the homemade right side hammer with the correct piece.

And there's nothing like a 56-50 Spencer carbine to top things off with! :lol:

I'm waiting to hear back from Dallas on an appointment for my own Thunderbolt. :)

Hey Walker,

Try Wild Bunch! It's way B) Stoking the SG and shooting a 1911 are such fun.

I also enjoy the Plainsman side matches basically for the experience of shooting different guns. I use a low-wall and a 1887.

Happy Trails,

Allie Mo

PS Don't tell anyone; but I also enjoyed W3G. Variety is fun!

I've always wanted to shoot a set of 45 schofield with long Barrels but cost is just too much for me. With a spencer rifle...not carbine, with a 87 for shotgun. Without the drop two.

Recently purchased some vaquero sheriff's though. Oh and it would be a hoot to shoot sone cartridge converted. .31 pocket pistols. Then again c&b revolvers are tempting me too

If I wanna be "different" and get a lot of comments, and some good natured kidding at the same time, I use a Colt 12" Buntline, a 3" Colt Sherrif, a 17.5" Win 92 with a John Wayne style loop, all in .44 Special. For the shotgun, I use a 12 gauge WW Greener Single Shot Police gun, which is basically a shotgun version of the Martini Henry rifle. It's weird and fun. :)

I got the samew Rugers, Uberti 73 and Steoger SxS that most shooters use for semi-serious monthly matches and state/regional matches.

Then I got original Winchesters in '73, '92 and '87 that are unmodified and feel like history when they are shot. They are actually very well made and do a very good job of competing. They can also later be sold at with profit since I bought slowly and smartly. Can't say that about my Rugers, Rossis or Ubertis.

Howdy

I've never gotten tired of shooting my usual guns. Instead, I keep running into really cool old guns and I keep buying them. For a long time now, I have been shooting a mismatched pair of 2nd Gen Colts chambered for 45 Colt, an Uberti Henry chambered for 44-40, and an old Stevens side lock hammer gun. I shoot them all with Black Powder.

Last year I bumped into a beautiful original Winchester Model 1892 saddle ring carbine for a steal. It was chambered in 44-40, so I grabbed it. Sure is fun to shoot the light little Winchester every once in a while instead of the heavy Henry. Last winter I stumbled onto the gun of a lifetime, a S&W New Model Number Three. Made in 1882 and refinished at the S&W factory in 1965. Even though it was refinished over 40 years ago, it looks like it just left the factory. It was a real stretch to buy it, but I knew I would kick myself forever if I didn't. I have shot it in three matches so far. I have even teamed it up with a top break S&W 44 Double Action of the same era at a few local matches.

It sure is fun to shoot really cool old guns.

About 90% of the time I shoot my favorite guns, but sometimes it is fun to shoot something else. Generally I shoot two handed, but now and again I shoot gunfighter (or BW and mix styles as I want) just for fun.

Yesterday I wanted to do something a little different so instead of my normal 12ga SKB and .357/.38 1873 rifle I shot my 12ga 1887 SG and CB 38spl Marlin. I had not really shot the 1887 much, and I need to practice some before I try it in a club match 'cause wow, that is different. I think the spotters were laughing hard enought that they missed some things. The lever stroke on the Marlin is different enough from my Codymatic 1873 that I have to think about levering properly.

Next match I might shoot my ROA's (.45 cap and ball) but then again maybe I won't.

Another thought; maybe I should have another alias for the days I shoot different guns (allowing for plausible deniability :lol: )

Having options is nice. :)

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Occasionally I'll change up and shoot my .44 Mag 3.5" Birdhead Vaqs in GF.

And I'm pondering shooting the 10.5" Ruger Superblackies again, too. But no adjustable sights allowed in GF....AWW, DAMN!

MG

I like change, sometimes just for change sake.

Saturday I shot a pair of New Vaqueros in 44 Special, a 73 rifle in 44-40 and my 1887 levergun copy. All in BP.

The Saturday before that I shot OMVs in 45 Colt, a 73 Carbine in 45 Colt and a JA Stevens 235 hammered double. All in smokeless.

The Saturday before that I shot a pair of GWIIs in 44-40, the 73 rifle and a Rossi Overland Hammer gun in 12 gauge. All with BP loads.

You got the drift? ;):)

I usually use a pair of 4 5/8" or 5½" Vaqueros. But, I have a pair of Schofield .45s that occassionally get used. I also have used a pair of Remington 1875s and on odd occassion I shoot BP with a pair of .44-40s. I also have a new S&W 1911 and Wild Bunch rig that I like to shoot at some of the monthy matches.

That's enough variety for me.

Instead of changing guns, I just change categories. I went from Traditional to Outlaw. Now, I'm trying Outlaw Gunfighter and am changing to black powder as well. Next, it might be Black Powder Outlaw Gunfighter with a mirror!! HA! Whatever I try, I know it won't hurt my time. My score looks more like a calendar, but I have fun and challenge myself at the same time. Besides, it's cheaper than buying all those guns.

I know, try changing strong hands. That way, they'll feel like different guns.

Rufus

For C&B shooters, this would certainly be different. I especially like the interchangable barrels.

I have several options to choose from.

.45's: 3rd Gen 4-3/4", 2nd Gen 7.5", ASM Clone 5.5", Uberti Scofield, Colt Lightning, ASM '92. I mix and match from this group, as I feel fit.

.44 Special: 12" Colt Buntline, 3" Colt Sheriffs. With these pistols, I use an origingal Winchester 92 that has been rebarrelled with a 17.5" 44 Mag tube and a John Wayne Loop. This is what I use when I just wanna have fun and severely handycap myself.

I also have a Rossi 92 that I run .44 Special through, but have not used for a long time.

When the Henry comes out, (.44-40) I pair it with a brace of Uberti '58 Remmie's converted to .38 S&W. OR, I use a Colt 1878 and a S&W New Model 3 DA in the same caliber as the rifle. I've used those weird old pistols at a couple of local matches.

.32-20, and Original Winchseter 73, 1st Gen Colt 7.5" and a 3rd Gen 5.5"

Sometimes I'll use the 1895 Nagant for varition, usually with the 73 and one of the Colts in .32-20.

For shotguns, I normally use a 20" orginal 97. But, depending on how I feel, for variation I might trot out a 28" 97, or an 18" Parker. I'm in the proccess of obtaining an orignal 87, so that'll be fun. I also have a WW Greener singel shot British shotgun. (Think a shotgun version of the Martini Henry rifle) I only use that if I am feeling REALLY silly, and pair with the Sheriff Buntline set.

All in all, I have fun.

Can make for a confusing decison making process at times. :)

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I started out with a Winchester 94 Trapper model in 357, 2 4 5/8 Ruger NMVS stainess in .357 and a Rossi 20 gauge coach gun. Over the years I have progressed through a couple of Winchester 92's (still in .357)and a 12 gauge hammer gun until now where my usual guns are Uberti 73 in .357, a chinese 97 and my original 2 Rugers. A few weeks ago I picked up 2 Uberti cattleman with 7 1/2" barrels in .357 to switch off with the Rugers for the fun of it. VBack in the deep rescesses of my gun safe I have a 92 in .45 and a pair of Ruger NMVS in .45 that I take out occasionally for BP shoots. Still trying to get the handle on the 1911 for WB shooting

As long as they are working well, I tend to "dance with the one what brung me". I'm on my second SXS after the locks on the first (a cheap chicom hammergun) wore out. MY Ruger Vaqueros soldier on without a hiccup, though they sport new SBH hammers that improved function. I;'ve been through some rifles, modded the Marlins to make em do tricks, but reliability has been iffy lately. So I'm running a '73 these days.

Nothin gets "changed out" if it's working WELL.

Categories will change, but not the guns.

Heck, I am still trying to get enuff guns for a match without borrowing one lol. I have 1 urberti cattleman in .45 and a rossi .45 with a 20 inch barrel. I have one 30 year old single shot 16 gauge shotgun i use sometimes. Next up is a matching pistol and leather gear. Thanks to some good folks I always have enuff guns to shoot with but cant wait til get me own

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Heck, I am still trying to get enuff guns for a match without borrowing one lol. I have 1 urberti cattleman in .45 and a rossi .45 with a 20 inch barrel. I have one 30 year old single shot 16 gauge shotgun i use sometimes. Next up is a matching pistol and leather gear. Thanks to some good folks I always have enuff guns to shoot with but cant wait til get me own

well I shot my 2 Rugers, a Win 94 (no one told me beforhand that Win 94's suck for SASS) and an old Rossi 20 gauge coach gun that was rattling around the house, for almost a year before squeezing out the money to upgrade to a 92. After 6 plus years I have spent more for guns than I ever thought I would or could. (good thing my wife isnt on the wire) :ph34r:

Archived