SASS Wire Forum

Walmart Senior Greeter

Krazy Kajun

Charley, a new retiree-greeter at Wal-Mart, just couldn't seem to get to work on time.

Every day he was 5, 10, 15 minutes late. But he was a good worker, really tidy, clean-shaven, sharp-minded and a real credit to the company and obviously demonstrating their "Older Person Friendly" policies.

One day the boss called him into the office for a talk. "Charley, I have to tell you, I like your work ethic, you do a bang-up job when you finally get here; but your being late so often is quite bothersome."

"Yes, I know boss, and I am working on it."

"Well good, you are a team player. That's what I like to hear."

"Yes sir, I understand your concern and try harder.

Seeming puzzled, the manager went on to comment, "It's odd though your coming in late. I know you're retired from the Armed Forces. What did they say to you there if you showed up in the morning so late and so often?"

The old man looked down at the floor, then smiled. He chuckled quietly, then said with a grin, "They usually saluted and said, "Good morning, Admiral, can I get your coffee, sir?"

OH, my goodness. And the sad thing is that it's likely got some truth to it, with the economy the way it is. An admiral a door-greeter.

If this were real life, then I'd hope the supervisor would see his mistake and take him to the brass for a management position...

AJ

It's an old joke. And one hopes that an admiral would not have to take a near minimum wage job in his retirement. But there is something to be said for having something to do and a place to go everyday, regardless of the pay.

But I know that fter my Uncle John Retired from the Navy (Master Chief Boatswain's Mate -- would have been Command Master Chief but that wasn't invented yet) He had one management position and then decided he was never going to do that again, just didn't want the hassle.

I went to college with a feller that was a retired bird colonel, 30 years, full diability. He was getting a biology and teaching degree. At that time most Oklahoma schools paid less than $5,000/year. He was a very small man, probably 5'4 at the most, and spoke very quietly. I figured the HS kids would eat him alive, but he was an excellent teacher. Retired from the same school he started.

He drove an old VW that got so rusty he finally gave in, went to Gibson's and bought a couple of cans of aluminum colored spray paint, and repainted his car. It wasn't very pretty. :) Right before graduation he bought a base model Chevy Vega.

Ol' Charlie was greetin' customers at Wally World when a really rude lady and her two unruly children entered the store. She banged around the shopping carts as the two brats yelled and fussed and finally headed in to shop.

"Good morning ma'am. Welcome to Walmart!" Charlie called to her cheerfuly.

The lady just snorted and looked at ol' Charlie like he had two heads.

"Are those twins?" Charlie continued.

"No dammit! They ain't twins! Why would you ask such a thing? Do they look like twins?" she snapped angrily.

Ol' Charlie never missed a beat. He cheerfully replied,"Well no they don't really look like twins, but I just couldn't imagine anyone doing anything twice with you. And you have a nice day!"

It's an old joke. And one hopes that an admiral would not have to take a near minimum wage job in his retirement. But there is something to be said for having something to do and a place to go everyday, regardless of the pay.

But I know that fter my Uncle John Retired from the Navy (Master Chief Boatswain's Mate -- would have been Command Master Chief but that wasn't invented yet) He had one management position and then decided he was never going to do that again, just didn't want the hassle.

You are right, it has been around. The version I heard was with a Colonel but at a more prestigious job. :)

Archived