SASS Wire Forum

Long Range Targets - What Sizes Recommended?

Kid Latham, SASS #79471

Well, it’s finally coming to pass. Our new 300-yard rifle range is nearing completion. Up until now, we’ve been limited to 100-yard competition for our SASS long range competition, and that’s about to change. We’re all anxious to try out our guns at the longer distances, 100, 200 and 300-yards.

Which brings us again to the question of what size targets to buy for these ranges. We presently own 12”x12” & 16’x16” steel plates, and 15”x24” cowboy targets for the 50-yard revolver category.

For our 100-yard rifle shoots, we’ve been using a 20”x26” buffalo steel target, which some have advised is too large for 100-yards.

We are a small SASS club, and few of us have ever been to an outside club to see what they’re typically using for long range shoots. The only one I’ve seen used a 6-foot buffalo at 600-yards. Size and weight are a consideration for us for transportation and set-up. Picture a half-dozen Elder Statesmen with a Kowasacki Mule as our set-up crew.

I’ve searched the Wire and can find nothing on this subject. I’d like to find out what targets they use for the side matches at major matches like Winter Range, End of Trail, etc. And, what most of you use for your local long range matches. I’d appreciate any suggestions as to target sizes and distances that you may have come across in your experience.

Thanks for your help,

Kid Latham

NRA "X" rings are 1 MOA all the way to 1000 yards. 10 rings are 2 MOA.

So, you get a "perfect" score (200) with 20" groups at 1000 yards, or 12" groups at 600 yards, or 2" groups at 100 yards, etc.

Perfect is rare and not much fun to chase.

The black ring on NRA targets is approximately 6 MOA and is "sort of" the defacto notion of good when it comes to position shooting. i.e. "In the black."

That makes a 12 to 18 inch MINIMUM target for 300 yards. Only good shooters would regularly hit those and average shooters might rarely hit them.

BPCR targets are between two and three Milradians diameter (about 6 to 9 MOA) and lots of guys miss those much of the time.

So, ballpark, it seems that targets that are between a foot and foot and a half on each side for each 100 yards would give most people a chance to hit them. Good shooters would hit them most of the time and poor shooters would hit them often enough to stay interested.

In other words, your 12" plates are good to about 80 yards, your 16" plates are good to about 125 yards, your 15" x 24" cowboy will work out to about 150 yards, and your 20" x 26" buffalo would be challenging at 200 yards. You'll probably want a bigger (36" circle) plate for out at 300. Try 'em and see. Report back when people start smiling and quit grousing.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I have to say that August has given great giudance. B)

+1!

MG

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I have to say that August has given great giudance. B)

+1!

MG

Mustang, couldn't agree with you more and I'll raise you one = +2

August, it's most refreshing to read on the Wire, instead of clang and bang @ 7 and 12 yds, knowledgeable words from a pardner that knows the NRA target sizes and an understanding of MOA calculations at various distances! Great post.

Kid, if I may suggest some added 'spice shooting' at your new 300 yd range. Go to the hardware store - buy a tin mop bucket. Hang it on a Shepard's hook at 300yds ...

A Quigley Match: 3 shots at the bucket - Offhand!

Start at 12" @ 100 yards and add 8" for every 100 yards; 20"/200 yds, 28"/300 yds, 36"/400 yds, 44"/500 yds.

OR

use similar sized silhouettes of about 30" height at each range out to 500 yds. This gives the once a year shooter probably three good hits, but makes each range successively more difficult for the more experienced shooters, although good shooters on a calm day could run out of ammo before they miss a 30" target at 500 yards, so either method would have to be a timed event in order to keep it from going on forever.

NRA "X" rings are 1 MOA all the way to 1000 yards. 10 rings are 2 MOA.

So, you get a "perfect" score (200) with 20" groups at 1000 yards, or 12" groups at 600 yards, or 2" groups at 100 yards, etc.

Perfect is rare and not much fun to chase.

The black ring on NRA targets is approximately 6 MOA and is "sort of" the defacto notion of good when it comes to position shooting. i.e. "In the black."

That makes a 12 to 18 inch MINIMUM target for 300 yards. Only good shooters would regularly hit those and average shooters might rarely hit them.

BPCR targets are between two and three Milradians diameter (about 6 to 9 MOA) and lots of guys miss those much of the time.

So, ballpark, it seems that targets that are between a foot and foot and a half on each side for each 100 yards would give most people a chance to hit them. Good shooters would hit them most of the time and poor shooters would hit them often enough to stay interested.

In other words, your 12" plates are good to about 80 yards, your 16" plates are good to about 125 yards, your 15" x 24" cowboy will work out to about 150 yards, and your 20" x 26" buffalo would be challenging at 200 yards. You'll probably want a bigger (36" circle) plate for out at 300. Try 'em and see. Report back when people start smiling and quit grousing.

+3

KK

Hi Pards,

I appreciate the comments, but does anyone actually know what size targets they use for the long range side matches at major matches like Winter Range, End of Trail, etc? Or, can anyone tell me who to contact to get this information? Someone must know! I'm really looking for specifics rather than theory.

Thanks,

Kid Latham

For your club, I suggest a 48" square target at 300 yards. If after a few shoots you decide it it too big, you can always cut it down. For a tie breaker, I suggest shooting standing unsupported.

Just my opinion.

Duffield

WR and EOT are both set up in short bays. so their long range is really a short range speed or precision match depending on whether they shoot on paper or steel. NOT a normal CAS long range match. We do a LOT of long range shooting here and use 6MOA targets but they are too difficult for casual shooters. I like August West's suggestions for most shooters. We shoot out to 850yds on our normal range but can shoot out to 2500 meters. I use a 45-70 at 1500yds. occasionally on a 4ft. target. NOT an easy shot and I don't hit it very often. Most shooters will never hit such a target. 4ft. square at 600yds. is not easy for many if there is any wind but is actually a pretty easy target. Shooters like to hit targets. Firing 20 rounds with 1 hit isn't fun.

Howdy all ;

We use "Recycled" Saw blades from the Saw mills they are about 4 foot in diameter we weld the hanger bracket in the center hole ( so no hole)....

We use these out to about 900 yards over the sticks .... last shoot we shot 3 at each distance on the blades 373,465,580 & 670 Yards ... You had 5 miniutes to comeplete the course of fire ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived