SASS Wire Forum

Anyone interested in a postal shoot?

Pulp, SASS#28319

Some of us over on the Mythbusters Weapons forum ( http://www.community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/9741919888) did one a couple of years ago. Kind of interesting. In ours, we stapled a shuffled deck of cards, spread out over a board so each card was showing, then shot five shots for best hand from 30 yards. Take a picture to prove your hand, send it to the organizer. I actually ended up with the best hand, but folded 'cause I figgered someone would beat me.

We're thinkin' of startin' up a new one, this time based on the Hickock/Tutt duel. Put a torso sized target with a fist sized heart painted on it out to 75 yards, any handgun with open sights. I ruled out '51 Navys only, as not everyone has or wants one. We're debating on one shot only, or maybe 5 or 6, then photograph your best shot. Haven't fully set the rules yet.

Anyone here interested in such an undertaking?

BTW, if you do follow the link and visit the forum, don't get too discouraged by threads such as "Can you wear enough sweatshirts to stop a bullet?" Firearms ignorance abounds throughout the world. :lol:

Some of us over on the Mythbusters Weapons forum ( http://www.community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/9741919888) did one a couple of years ago. Kind of interesting. In ours, we stapled a shuffled deck of cards, spread out over a board so each card was showing, then shot five shots for best hand from 30 yards. Take a picture to prove your hand, send it to the organizer. I actually ended up with the best hand, but folded 'cause I figgered someone would beat me.

We're thinkin' of startin' up a new one, this time based on the Hickock/Tutt duel. Put a torso sized target with a fist sized heart painted on it out to 75 yards, any handgun with open sights. I ruled out '51 Navys only, as not everyone has or wants one. We're debating on one shot only, or maybe 5 or 6, then photograph your best shot. Haven't fully set the rules yet.

Anyone here interested in such an undertaking?

BTW, if you do follow the link and visit the forum, don't get too discouraged by threads such as "Can you wear enough sweatshirts to stop a bullet?" Firearms ignorance abounds throughout the world. :lol:

Sounds interesting. But . . . ... I'm up north and won't be on my range to do any shooting again until November. :huh:

Well Plup.... I can't do it...

I only got 51 Navies.

Wait.......................

How bout 1848 Walkers ? Have ya ruled 'em out too ? :unsure:

Hawk, I think you misunderstood. Since Hickock was using a '51 Navy, that should be the gun to use, but since not everyone has one, I think we should allow any open sighted handgun.

Or maybe 2 classes, Cowboy guns and Anything else, but still open sighted. I plan on using my '51 for record, but most likely I'll shoot everything I've got for fun. Surely one of them bullets will hit the target.

Hawk, I think you misunderstood. Since Hickock was using a '51 Navy, that should be the gun to use, but since not everyone has one, I think we should allow any open sighted handgun.

Or maybe 2 classes, Cowboy guns and Anything else, but still open sighted. I plan on using my '51 for record, but most likely I'll shoot everything I've got for fun. Surely one of them bullets will hit the target.

Yup, I mis understooded , yup , I did....dats what I did........^_^

What was we talkin' bout ? :blink:

Well, ififn dats da weapon of choice, and seein' as how I got SIX of'em , .............:blink:

I tank I can see my way to do sumthin' like dat !! ;)

OK, anyone interested, take your best shot, photograph it and e-mail it to me by Aug 31. That should give everyone plenty of time.

Rules:

1. Torso or full size human target.(I'm just gonna draw my outline on a piece of sheetrock)

2. Fist sized heart in center of chest, maybe a bit to the left of center. We're not anatomists so exact location isn't critical. Draw an X over the heart and measure from center of X to center of bullet hole.

3. 75 yards.

4. Two categories:

1. Cowboy guns, cartridge or percussion.

2. Any other handgun, open sights only. No scopes, lasers, or holographic sights.

5. 5 shots allowed, best shot for score.

6. Honor system.

7. First place in each category: An extra helping of braggin' rights. Maybe a certificate if I can get one drawn up.

I'm gonna post this on a couple of other shooting forums, trying to get as many involved as possible, and BTT it everyonce in awhile in case someone misses it.

The question came up on another forum, offhand or rest? Since Hickock rested his pistol on his forearm, I reckon that would be OK (watch for cylinder gap and muzzle blast though), but no bench type rests allowed.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived