SASS Wire Forum

Interesting exchange with US Firearms

I've been wanting a backup set of USFA Gunslingers for Wildcat. Nobody seems to be able to get them. From my understanding, Long Hunter has a large amount of USFA pistols on order, and he has stopped taking orders for USFA. I wrote USFA and got the following reply, which doesn't jive with what I'm seeing:

Randy: the difficulty is with our Rodeo 2 product, in that we no longer can find the certain chemicals offered for our process.... Our other products are unaffected, and we have an entirely new market segment at www.SHOTPISTOL.com If you want a brace of Gunslingers in .38 no problem- all we need is the barrel length and we'll get started...

As to SASS specifically- no one bought our SASS models when offered for 3 years. When they did, it was always the Rodeo. That's ok. The SASS market is shrinking but we remain committed to producing fine quality and to introduce new products in other markets.

There is always a market for quality and innovation. And our best production will continue to be available at a price which allows us to service our customers in a manner in which they are proud owners.

I hope this helps what your "hearing" out there but really we are like any small business making upgrades and changes where necessary. And I appreciate your letting me know what your concerns are.

Regards,

Doug

Douglas F. Donnelly

President

USFA

www.usfirearms.com

100% American Made

U S Fire Arms Mfg Co.

445 Ledyard Street

Hartford, CT 06114

Tel:860-296-7441

Fax:860-296-7688

email:DDonnelly@usfirearms.com

I decided to hold them to their word, so I called them to order the pistols. I only got answering machines saying we will get right back with you. Nobody ever returned my call. Adios USFA... it was a good run and I enjoy your product, but customer service is important to me. :(

So because you haven't received a prompt reply to your voice mail to USFA you are willing to just write them off. You mentioned you like their product a lot. Calm down and be patient. Find out what you can before acting so rash.

GG

.... Our other products are unaffected, and we have an entirely new market segment at www.SHOTPISTOL.com ...

As to SASS specifically- no one bought our SASS models when offered for 3 years. When they did, it was always the Rodeo. That's ok. The SASS market is shrinking but we remain committed to producing fine quality and to introduce new products in other markets.

If they think the SASS market is shrinking, wait until they see what happens to the .410/.45 revolver market already dominated by the Taurus Judge now that S&W jumped in and ThunderFive is all but gone.

I wouldn't buy any stock in USFA's "shotpistol" experiment.

Longhunter as well as other smiths in the CAS market could sell every Rodeo they could make. I'll a agree that SASS/CAS market is small but shrinking it's not. Maybe if they actually prouced some guns they would sell them. Pass the Ruger.

Let me translate for you:

Randy - we're really busy with our single action judge right now. Prez.

I give you credit for calling after getting that letter. I would have wrote them off sooner.

Not to start a USFA vs. Colt or any other pistol, but I really like my Gunslingers, and so does Wildcat. We prefer them over our Colts. I would love to have a back-up set, but after two phone calls and two days, I would think if they really cared, I would have received the courtesy of a reply. I called Long Hunter again today, and the office told me they have well over 100 back orders sitting. It seems like USFA has written off CAS shooters. :(

Not to start a USFA vs. Colt or any other pistol, but I really like my Gunslingers, and so does Wildcat. We prefer them over our Colts. I would love to have a back-up set, but after two phone calls and two days, I would think if they really cared, I would have received the courtesy of a reply. I called Long Hunter again today, and the office told me they have well over 100 back orders sitting. It seems like USFA has written off CAS shooters. :(

...seems like you have written off USFA :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

GG: You ain't got no idear whut yer tawkin about.

USFA cannot get out of it's own way. They've torqued the dealers with pricing for years. They've made excuses to customers.

They certainly can produce an excellent product and I've owned my share. But, Okie is correct and you ain't.

USFA cannot get out of it's own way. They've torqued the dealers with pricing for years. They've made excuses to customers.

They certainly can produce an excellent product and I've owned my share. But, Okie is correct and you ain't.

:lol: Probably, but I don't write off products I like just because I haven't gotten a phone call in two days. I won't bash a company in public without first knowin' the facts or at least actually talking to them direct...

I never said Okie was wrong ~ just advised him to be patient...so I ain't wrong pard ;)

...and if they have been doing this for years Okie should have already understood the situation. There must have been plenty of 'gripes' about it here on the Wire....

IMHO, the problem with USFA is that their Single Action models are priced to close to those offered by Colt. I respect the fact that the USFA guns are top notch. However, so are the new Colts that I bought. I believe that the Colts will hold their value over time better than the USFA guns merely for the fact that they are stamped C-O-L-T. For replica guns, I lean towards the Uberti guns imported by Cimarron that cost a lot less money. Just my opinion. Happy trails, Squint

IMHO, the problem with USFA is that their Single Action models are priced to close to those offered by Colt. I respect the fact that the USFA guns are top notch. However, so are the new Colts that I bought. I believe that the Colts will hold their value over time better than the USFA guns merely for the fact that they are stamped C-O-L-T. For replica guns, I lean towards the Uberti guns imported by Cimarron that cost a lot less money. Just my opinion. Happy trails, Squint

True - Colt pistols are the 'reason for the season' with everything that's come therafter...

My father in law ran a billiards shop that sold high-end merchandise. When people asked for cheap products, he told them he only dealt in quality and hung up on them. The problem was, nobody wanted the expensive stuff and he went bankrupt because he didn't sell the cheap stuff people actually wanted.

I do like USFA's pistols and I would happily buy one if they were offered at a reasonable price. Maybe they should re-examine their prices and their target market. It seems they are making premium guns for the top 5% and then wondering why nobody buys them, rather than making nice and reasonably priced guns for the masses.

-Solo Sam

My father in law ran a billiards shop that sold high-end merchandise. When people asked for cheap products, he told them he only dealt in quality and hung up on them. The problem was, nobody wanted the expensive stuff and he went bankrupt because he didn't sell the cheap stuff people actually wanted.

I do like USFA's pistols and I would happily buy one if they were offered at a reasonable price. Maybe they should re-examine their prices and their target market. It seems they are making premium guns for the top 5% and then wondering why nobody buys them, rather than making nice and reasonably priced guns for the masses.

-Solo Sam

Nice and reasonably priced gets you Rugers, Uberti's, Beretta's and probably a couple of more companies I forgot. USFA does not have the production capacity that the other, much larger gun companies have and instead of trying to match their production volume, USFA choose to go to the high end of the market and make and price them accordingly.

I don't own any USFA's, my budget and tastes for strictly working guns has made me a Ruger fan. I also know that Doug and USFA has been a long time supporter of SASS here in CT.

:lol: Probably, but I don't write off products I like just because I haven't gotten a phone call in two days.

I own a company, that has three locations. I can tell you that if we don't call a potential customer back with in 24 hours they have gone else where. We get a majority of our sales because we do call back. We get the " you guys called us first" but mostly " You guys actually answer the phone". It is important and many places suffer / loose business because they have piss poor phone policy. Make your customers happy or they will find somebody who will. Let new customers know you want their business or they will go else where.

I own a company, that has three locations. I can tell you that if we don't call a potential customer back with in 24 hours they have gone else where. We get a majority of our sales because we do call back. We get the " you guys called us first" but mostly " You guys actually answer the phone". It is important and many places suffer / loose business because they have piss poor phone policy. Make your customers happy or they will find somebody who will. Let new customers know you want their business or they will go else where.

Long term customers? Customers that have used your product? - you did say 'potential' so... anyway... Well....I can't speak for them but if I was happy with the product I received from you before and inquired about another I wouldn't bail on ya because of not hearin' from ya in 48 hours from my inquiry - heck, at least I'd give the situation a few weeks!.....of course most Ameican's these days need 'instant' satisfaction...:rolleyes:

That's how I always do business as well, Marshal. A phone call or an email is answered promptly by me. To do otherwise does not speak well for the business/management/person. In tougher economic times such as we are experiencing right now, I would think companies would be clamoring for a customer's business. Apparently not. I'll pay a premium for good customer service; I won't give a business a dime otherwise. As much as I like their product, USFA has lost me as a customer. There are several other good alternatives.

Since USFA kind of drove me out of the market of selling their guns I can speak with experience here. They shorted me 8 sets of guns. Yes they do make a very quality firearm. They just don't know what firearms to make. I know the CAS market is a tiny tiny segment of the firearms market and it's growth probably is flat at best, but to thumb your nose at the biggest market of single actions is down right stupid.

Thw real problem is the owner of USFA has more money than god. This is a hobby to him not a business. He could shut the doors tomorrow and not even blink an eye. You watch they will faze out the Rodeo and Rodeo II's completely. Doug Donneley, the owner has never liked that model of gun. Because it doesn't represent anything that was made in the old west or by Colt. He would rather build you one nickel plated fully engraved 44-40 with ivory grips than a 100 Rodeos. Even though he could make more money with the Rodeos. Again he doesn't need the money. I feel sorry for the employess that do see it as a job. Another perfect example of USFA insanity is. A few years back they had 100's of Rodeos and Pre-Wars on back order. Why, because they were working on an exact replica of the Lightening rifle. There isn't a person in the world that thought that would sell, but Doug wanted it built. These guys are other manufactures of pistols best friends.

Gatlin it is not about instant satisfaction, it is about business ethic and customer support. If they don't follow up and you have a problem, your problem won't get resolved. BTW we treat our current with an even greater care. It easier to keep a customer than get a new one.

Also I looked at buying a pair of 38-40's from USFA. All I can say is I have a pair of Colts.

+1

I gave up as a Dealer on USFA years ago when i was sitting on a stack of backorders for pistols they could never deliver but keept touting on their misleading website.

USFA is done like burnt toast

:lol: Ha Sixgun Shorty...of course you gave up on them...you sell Colts. Go figure...and we all know that Colt guys have their panties in a wad in the fact that the USFA guns are comparable to a genuine Colt if not better.

I certainly don't wish any business that makes firearms ill will. But you as a Colt dealer probably don't mind :P

Gatlin it is not about instant satisfaction, it is about business ethic and customer support. If they don't follow up and you have a problem, your problem won't get resolved. BTW we treat our current with an even greater care. It easier to keep a customer than get a new one.

Also I looked at buying a pair of 38-40's from USFA. All I can say is I have a pair of Colts.

Nope - it's the fact that the op didn't get a call back in two days and proceeds to cry foul about it publically. Probably hopes that USFA will see his public post and call him. :lol:

Being patient must not be the 'in' thing :rolleyes:

Marshal TKD is spot on with this post. Especially now, when the economy is down. I recently received an email from a potential customer. He had requested a quote for one of our products and my sales manager, for that region, had not provided the quote in over two days. The customer asked me a fair question, "If it is this hard to simply get a quote, then what will I go through if I ever need any service after the sale?"

Long term customers? Customers that have used your product? - you did say 'potential' so... anyway... Well....I can't speak for them but if I was happy with the product I received from you before and inquired about another I wouldn't bail on ya because of not hearin' from ya in 48 hours from my inquiry - heck, at least I'd give the situation a few weeks!.....of course most Ameican's these days need 'instant' satisfaction...:rolleyes:

GG,

It is commendable that you would "give the situation a few weeks!". I can tell you that my experience with the buying public makes you a member of the exception and not the rule.

I agree with your sentiment. I also wish USFA well. Frankly, I hate to see any firearms manufacturer suffer. I will say this though, if USFA are not marketing to SASS and CAS shooters in general, then I am a bit confused about who their main market base is.

Boondock

Guest Texas Jack Black

I have been to their factory many times They seem to be moving away from the dwindling SASS market and are pursuing a more sustainable customer base.

T J B

GG,

It is commendable that you would "give the situation a few weeks!". I can tell you that my experience with the buying public makes you a member of the exception and not the rule.

I agree with your sentiment. I also wish USFA well. Frankly, I hate to see any firearms manufacturer suffer. I will say this though, if USFA are not marketing to SASS and CAS shooters in general, then I am a bit confused about who their main market base is.

Boondock

Most appreciated Boondock Saint...I just try to not sweat the small stuff and work on being more laid back at things...It's not easy at times :D

Anyway, since the op is looking for a Colt quality firearm maybe Sixgun Shorty can give him a deal on the 'real' deal ;)

I too believe that USFA doesn't know what to build, I have shot a pair of their SAA in .44-40 for the last 5 years, great guns excellent quality.

I started out with one of their lightning rifles (which I still have) in .44-40, it worked great out of the box, very little done to it.

But in the last five years lets see: Bisleys???, Double Eagles???? Maxuim Silencer????, Patriot Series????, Shooting Masters?????, Flat Tops????, Birds Heads????, 1911s????, 12/22, 12 shot .22 cal single action revolver????, USFA Ammo????. How many directions can a small manufacturing company go? Now the price of their Premium SAA (Blued, CC) is close to a Colt, which would you buy is the quality is equal?

Too bad they make some fine SAA both in the Rodeo and Gunslinger models as well as the premium SAA.

TB

+1

I gave up as a Dealer on USFA years ago when i was sitting on a stack of backorders for pistols they could never deliver but keept touting on their misleading website.

USFA is done like burnt toast

Well, despite the cheap shots taken at ya, Shorty, I can honestly say that you know what customer service is all about -- it is obvious others do not. You have always been prompt, and you do what you say you will do. I have no reservations recommending you to friends, but I always warn them you'll push Colts, since that is where your heart is. Looks like I'll be doing a special order with you for Colts since USFA does not deliver. USFA is every bit as good as a Colt IMHO, but if they are unobtainable, what good are they? Check your email.

Okie

Well, despite the cheap shots taken at ya, Shorty, I can honestly say that you know what customer service is all about -- it is obvious others do not. You have always been prompt, and you do what you say you will do. I have no reservations recommending you to friends, but I always warn them you'll push Colts, since that is where your heart is. Looks like I'll be doing a special order with you for Colts since USFA does not deliver. USFA is every bit as good as a Colt IMHO, but if they are unobtainable, what good are they? Check your email.

Okie

There ya go - now you can be a happy customer :wub: . Maybe you should have gone to Sixgun Shorty in the first place as he has a definate reputation as a good vendor.

This is going to be a bad case of thread-drift, but it needs to be said. I agree with Brother Deuce, but I'd like to go a step farther...

Whenever anyone talks about how small or niche cowboy action shooting is, we go out of our way to agree with them. Yet speaking as one of the top experts on the shooting sports, based on active participation (NOT badge numbers!), CAS is twice as large as IDPA, which means CAS is more than twice as large as USPSA, the premier practical shooting sport. The Glock Sport Shooting Association (GSSA), Glock's proprietary shooting sport, is considered a spectacular success, yet it is smaller than CAS. Three-gun shooting, currently drawing floods of attention, is minuscule compared to CAS. In fact, the only comparable shooting sport is trap.

Some of the heaviest-supported, top shooting competitions draw fewer shooters than my monthly matches in Ft. Collins and Cheyenne.

We are "small' because we let ourselves be small. Every week I hear from IDPA, from USPSA, from GSSA, from the Steel Challenge...but not from SASS. I get mini-profiles of the practical shooters who win USPSA or IDPA regionals, advanced coverage of the big matches, stories from the championships and lists of the winners. SASS didn't even bother to send out the results of EOT. The whole ridiculous SASS meme of "reliving your childhood" and "only shooting for fun" does us no good. My childhood sucked and my favorite TV show was Star Trek...I don't shoot CAS out of some weird fantasy of pretending to be Marshal Dillon. I'm there to compete using guns I find fascinating, and so are the people I shoot with week in and week out.

The sport has zero marketing. COWBOYS, the largest promotional vehicle for out type of shooting, is gone because the very people who benefited the most from the show refused to support it.

We have an increasing cadre of amazing shooters we seem determined to marginalize...oh yeah, they won a world championship but that's NOTHING compared to preening like a faux-Hugh O'Brian.

I talk to the industry all the time, and they base a lot of their feelings about CAS on our own second-string attitudes.

Perception is reality.

RANT MODE OFF...sorry...

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

This is going to be a bad case of thread-drift, but it needs to be said. I agree with Brother Deuce, but I'd like to go a step farther...

Whenever anyone talks about how small or niche cowboy action shooting is, we go out of our way to agree with them. Yet speaking as one of the top experts on the shooting sports, based on active participation (NOT badge numbers!), CAS is twice as large as IDPA, which means CAS is more than twice as large as USPSA, the premier practical shooting sport. The Glock Sport Shooting Association (GSSA), Glock's proprietary shooting sport, is considered a spectacular success, yet it is smaller than CAS. Three-gun shooting, currently drawing floods of attention, is minuscule compared to CAS. In fact, the only comparable shooting sport is trap.

Some of the heaviest-supported, top shooting competitions draw fewer shooters than my monthly matches in Ft. Collins and Cheyenne.

We are "small' because we let ourselves be small. Every week I hear from IDPA, from USPSA, from GSSA, from the Steel Challenge...but not from SASS. I get mini-profiles of the practical shooters who win USPSA or IDPA regionals, advanced coverage of the big matches, stories from the championships and lists of the winners. SASS didn't even bother to send out the results of EOT. The whole ridiculous SASS meme of "reliving your childhood" and "only shooting for fun" does us no good. My childhood sucked and my favorite TV show was Star Trek...I don't shoot CAS out of some weird fantasy of pretending to be Marshal Dillon. I'm there to compete using guns I find fascinating, and so are the people I shoot with week in and week out.

The sport has zero marketing. COWBOYS, the largest promotional vehicle for out type of shooting, is gone because the very people who benefited the most from the show refused to support it.

We have an increasing cadre of amazing shooters we seem determined to marginalize...oh yeah, they won a world championship but that's NOTHING compared to preening like a faux-Hugh O'Brian.

I talk to the industry all the time, and they base a lot of their feelings about CAS on our own second-string attitudes.

Perception is reality.

RANT MODE OFF...sorry...

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Great post - +1 for our sport indeed!!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Very well said.

Perception is reality.

RANT MODE OFF...sorry...

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

That might be one of he best post ever written!

That might be one of he best post ever written!

+1 Great Post Wolf Bane.

If they would get a GOOD marketing person in there.

No telling what they would have done. But they won't. :(

Good post, Michael.

Marginalization notwithstanding, USFA is a very high-quality, non-responsive organization.

That would be about on target on Manatee.

Also agree with Michael Bane.

Archived