SASS Wire Forum

EAA Bounty Hunter 45 SA

Willie Shootum

I have a chance to buy a EAA Bounty Hunter by mail. I have never seen one in person.I hesitate to buy a gun I have not seen before. My question is how is their quality compared to a Great Western II or a Uberti? If you have one, how do you like it? Would you but one again? Any information is appreciated.

I had the Bounty Hunter in 44mag. I was very pleased with the fit and finish. It was a very nice gun. Had two features I liked- Colt style half cock, and rugeresque saftey transfer bar for loading 6. I have 2 Uberti "hombres"- decent fit, not as good a finish, and no safety bar; 5 only(don't ask). I would definately buy that gun again given the chance. I have the EAA version of the SA .22/.22mag(not a Bounty Hunter I don't think)- complete piece of crap. I recently bought an used EAA SxS 12 guage- Seems like a nice gun, comparible to a Stoeger I think. Yes I can only afford cheap guns but the 44mag wasn't in my opinion a "cheap" made gun. And I'm pleased with the shotgun.

Anyway: my 2 cents, good luck and if the 45 is anything like the 44mag, no worries, bring it home.

SS

I posted on another wire about Bounty Hunters, I think they are a decent gun. The main thing I did not like was the overly long hammer throw. I have read gun mags that writers have had B.H. For sometime testing loads and are very happy with they way they hold up to the abuse. After I had mine short stroked and an action job they are as good as anything out there. If the long throw does not brother you then I believe they will last as long as any other import. Good luck

Bottom Dealing Mike shoots EAA Bounty hunters for "Guns of the Old West" magazine and seems to like em, maybe he'll chime in, or you can PM him and ask. Here is a link to his You Tube about them http://www.youtube.com/user/duelist1954?feature=mhee#p/a/u/2/GUjN0x6vQSI

Rafe :FlagAm:

I have a pair that I've had since starting in SASS; they were what i could afford at the time, and I'm still shooting them. They have their quirks (the loading officer can't see the cartridge rims from outside the gun; I was having a light primer strike problem that seems to have been related to BP fouling and the transfer bar :wacko:), but my only major problem has been that the hand spring failed on one of them.

Early on, I did replace the mainsprings with lighter Wolff units, and the flat, Colt-style sear/bolt springs with Wolff wire types, as well as doing some general smoothing and stoning, because, like most pistols these days, it seems, from the box, the triggers were kind of heavy.

For the money, they were definitely worth it, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy 'em again. I'm only replacing them now because I want to change calibers. Well, that, and we always need a new excuse to buy more guns, right?

B)

Archived