SASS Wire Forum

Lot's of new toys that I can't use for me.

Pulp, SASS#28319

I'm on temporary assignment to the main lab here at the mill. One of the toys I get to play with is a BTU bomb. We put small samples of chips in a little tray, put the tray in a heavy stainless steel container, fill the container with pure oxygen, put the container in a vat, cover it with water, then push a button to light the sample. It gives us a measure of the amount of heat available in the chip pile.

I am really, really, really, wanting to bring some Goex and my homemade blackpowder and run them through the BTU bomb just to compare the two.

On the other hand, I'm really, really, really, really wanting to be able to buy groceries next week, so I reckon I'll have to pass on the blackpowder test.

Sigh. :)

Buffalo chips ? :unsure:

Tater chips ? :blink:

Dill pickle chips ? :wacko:

Actually, it's hardwook bark chips. They use bark as fuel for the bark boiler, so they need to know the BTU/ton of the different suppliers. You'd think it would all be the same, but it's not. We also use the bomb to test BTU of black liquor, which is left over from the pulping process, then concentrated and blown into the recovery boiler.

Actually, it's hardwook bark chips. They use bark as fuel for the bark boiler, so they need to know the BTU/ton of the different suppliers. You'd think it would all be the same, but it's not. We also use the bomb to test BTU of black liquor, which is left over from the pulping process, then concentrated and blown into the recovery boiler.

Well, if I see a mushroom cloud bout 60 miles SE I'll know Pulp succumbed to temptation. :lol:

Archived