SASS Wire Forum

BMC is in trouble again

Anybody out there in cowboy land know where I can find a half dozen wire lock pins with a

1/4 pin less than 2" long?

I can find longer ones and bigger ones, but I need this size.

If I needed a thousand of them, I could find a source, but I need six.

Any suggestions?

wire lock pin....I don't even know what that is, much less where you can get them.

They are a pin with a head, much like a nail but without the sharp end. A double wire is attached via a hole in the head, so that it is free to swing around and snap over the smaller end. When closed it forms a "D" shape with rounded part, i.e. the wire Ds, free to swing over the pin and lock in place.

They are used to fasten parts that are disassembled on a regular basis. A bolt and nut would work as well, but much more labor intensive.

I am not big on labor intensive. Especially my own labor.

They stock them, but they are too large. Not the size I want. I found some in England but he wants me

to order by the hundreds. While my project is unusual, it is not large. I need 1 but want six.

Maybe some JB Weld is in order. You can remove it, right?

Lowes may have them

You can also try Amazon, probably in the automotive/industrial section. You'd be amazed what Amazon has sometimes

Variations on the theme for those who need a visual.

Have you tried auto supply, tractor supply, and ranch supply places around you? Oh, and camping supply.

Hey! The suggestion of Amazon was good - http://www.amazon.com/Round-Wire-Lock-Pin-pieces/dp/B003QSG9QW

package of 8 rather than 6, but I'm sure you can find a use for them.

Anybody out there in cowboy land know where I can find a half dozen wire lock pins with a

1/4 pin less than 2" long?

I can find longer ones and bigger ones, but I need this size.

If I needed a thousand of them, I could find a source, but I need six.

Any suggestions?

Lowes has them, as does my local Ace hardware (Carnation) - try also True Value in Duvall.

It looks like the feed store in Monroe has them. I will stop at the Duvall Ace Hardware.

I have found them is several locations but they are all too big. They have the 1/4 dia.

pins but they are too long.

Apparently nobody knows the real name for these things, but the term Implement locking pin

seems to be the common denominator. I am off to Monroe and Duvall.

Thanks to you all for your help.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I got a whole bunch in a coffee can at home.

You could have some, if'n I could get home to send them to ya.

But I'm stuck at Ft Hood on Title 10 orders.

Mustang Gregg

Badger,

Next time ya' cud give Tacoma Screw a call.

They usually have bout everthang ;)

Tried them yesterday, Hal. They had just about everything. They didn't have the pins.

I didn't make it to Duvall today but tomorrow morning I will see Ace and then the Feed stores in Monroe if needed. IF not, I guess I can use other methods of holding this thing together. I am still

Thunking on the JB Weld approach. :lol:

It looks like the feed store in Monroe has them. I will stop at the Duvall Ace Hardware.

I have found them is several locations but they are all too big. They have the 1/4 dia.

pins but they are too long.

Apparently nobody knows the real name for these things, but the term Implement locking pin

seems to be the common denominator. I am off to Monroe and Duvall.

Thanks to you all for your help.

They can be called a Round or square wire Lock Pin, or a cotterless pin, or detent pin,

depending on which part fastens them.

SC

I suppose we could call them HEN'S TEETH, 'cause they are just as scarce.

Just so happens that there is a gun show in Monroe, tomorrow, the salmon are in the Sky and I need to go to Monroe. I just love it when a good plan comes together. Captain Jack will navigate.

Hey, Good to hear from you Pard. Where you been hiding?

That Ebay stuff is what I am looking for, but alas, the sizes are all wrong.

I know that they make them, because I have one in my hand. I need another.

Still shooting that Garand? I heard that you was trying to win WW II again.

I really need to take mine to the range and get it dirty.

My dance card is empty right now.

Don't stay away so long. We miss you old timers around here.

I suppose we could call them HEN'S TEETH, 'cause they are just as scarce.

Just so happens that there is a gun show in Monroe, tomorrow, the salmon are in the Sky and I need to go to Monroe. I just love it when a good plan comes together. Captain Jack will navigate.

For my gun cart I wanted to be able to remove and reattach the handle easily - in

the Jeep it's crowded, so I bought a few at the Ace here in Carnation.

They had them on the wall of screws that all good hardware stores have . . . lot's of

lengths and thicknesses . . . .

another good reason to live in a small town - they know stuff like this!

SC

In the sailboat world they were called shackles... they were used to hold on the sails to the wires/ropes. Course maybe I never had the name right since I refered to the boom, mast, and tiller as thingers for years.. lol.. Try a marine store... I think I know what you want, but I have been wrong a couple times.. lol

Thanks for the tip, Deja. These are a wire pin, not a shackle. I have plenty of those.

I do appreciate you help.

I tried to make a run at Duvall today but they closed down the main street and I could not get to the

ACE Hardware without driving all around the town. I did check out Del's Feed in Monroe but they were the wrong length.

If I can get down to Carnation next week, I will try there. If not, then I will go to plan B, what ever that is. :lol:

Archived