SASS Wire Forum

OK Car Guys....

Grizzly Dave

1998 Honda Civic, left turn signal started to do a fast blink. My first thought was that a bulb was out, but checking both front and back there is a fast blinking light.

Ideas?

I need to replace a low beam bulb on Miz Grizz' mammy van, and would prefer just one trip to the parts store so I'm trying to figure this out first...

1998 Honda Civic, left turn signal started to do a fast blink. My first thought was that a bulb was out, but checking both front and back there is a fast blinking light.

Ideas?

I need to replace a low beam bulb on Miz Grizz' mammy van, and would prefer just one trip to the parts store so I'm trying to figure this out first...

Every time I've ever had that situation, Griz... the light on the side of fast blinking (either left or right) has either gone out, or is about to go out... Just had it happen on my Focus a couple of months ago...

Vaya con Dios

Doesn't it make sense that if it was the flasher it would be both sides blinking fast? Unless there is a seperate flasher for each side!!! Don't think so tho. Before they came out with the hi-tech flashers they worked on the resistance of the bulbs, more resistance flashing faster, less resistance they would slow down. Probably a bulb out or going out. :unsure: WK

I'm inclined to think bulb as well, I've had the fast flash thing before when bulbs went out. Guess I'll go out and check again and check the marker lights as well, etc. If nothing else I'm overdue to check the oil and fill washer fluid etc.

Fast flashing can be caused by an increased load in the circuit. Some common causes are partial short to ground or a wrong bulb. (Don't think you'll find the light wired in seriese.) A flasher that is going bad might also cause the problem.

Check the simple things first!

Blackfoot

Man it's hot out there, well, not really 'that' hot, but humid makes it feel hotter when yer not used to humidity.

Checked all lights this time, bulbs work on everything, signal, marker, etc. For grins I turned on the hazards, and they all (including left side) blink normally where the turn signal on the left side blinks fast. The plot thickens...

Well, I dorked around with it a while, pulled out the back bulb assy and looked it over, put it back together and went to the parts place for the headlight bulb for miz Grizz' mammy van, and what do ya know, it works normally again. Must be some intermittant faulty ground or wiring.

Bulb installed in the van and it has two working headlights again.

Front lawn still needs mowed, but I'd best pace myself... wouldn't want to wear myself out with a match to shoot tomorrow!

Well, I dorked around with it a while, pulled out the back bulb assy and looked it over, put it back together and went to the parts place for the headlight bulb for miz Grizz' mammy van, and what do ya know, it works normally again. Must be some intermittant faulty ground or wiring.

A small amount of corrosion in the socket will do the same thing. When you took it apart, you cleaned the corrosion out.

Why are you concerned about the turn signal in the first place. Around here, nobody uses them.

The other day when a sweet young thing cut me off in traffic and didn't bother to tell me she was coming my way, I said to my wife, "I wonder if they quit making directional signals on the newer

model of cars, or if they just added more air to the heads of the drivers?"

So live as little on the edge, Grizz. Forget the directional altogether. :rolleyes:

A small amount of corrosion in the socket will do the same thing. When you took it apart, you cleaned the corrosion out.

I just seen and read this tread I agree with C.J. here if your bulbs are good has to be some corrosion which would give you a bad ground

Ideas?

My first thought is that someone may have slipped it some of that 5-hour energy stuff. That could do it. Or it could be that— Have you noticed if the brake light is also eager to get turned on? There could be some electricity there.

AJ

Took the car out tonight and it was back to its old tricks, maybe tomorrow after the match I'll look at it some more, but probably not :D

Change the bulb Grizz, I know some of the older bulbs (like 1157s and 1156s)would wear their connection point and not make good connection causing a bad ground. Just change the bulbs out or it could be what Aunt Jen said :lol: :lol: :lol:

My old pickup(2000) Chevy had that fast blinker. I had to replace the circuit board on the left side and it fixed the problem. I didn't replace the right side. In a few months, the right side did the same thing. The repair kit that I got at NAPA had bith sides included. I changed out the right side and fixed the problem. Both of the circuit boards had small places that had corroded and shorted out.

Archived