SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Lifter Project

My Marlin started to act up. Ketchum Quick and Deuce Stevens took a look at it and concluded that I might be experiencing the dredded Marlin Jam. Anyway, here at work I explained to my boss about putting a weld and grind it down to net shape/dimension. I told him that this was a main issue with the Marlins. We make PCD tooling here and after some joking about making a PCD wear pad (very hard, but brittle and slamming a steel lever against it would be just bad) we opted to do a High Speed Steel version...

The idea:

http://i275.photobuc...TERPROJECT1.jpg

http://i275.photobuc...TERPROJECT2.jpg

So I come into work this morning and my boss had this sitting on my desk:

http://i275.photobuc...TERPROJECT3.jpg

As you can see he sand blasted it too...he said " Well...I wanted to make it 'look' like it should work' :lol: Hope it does ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

GG:

I love stuff like this. This 'hardened' part of your carrier ramp can be a big plus in eliminating the so called 'Marlin Jam' and my guess, based on the pix, is that your problem might be solved.

In creating the 'WiddermAJik' Marlin, you can visit Marauders website and view some pixs of how I built up the lower portion of the ramp in similar fashion to advance the timing and then I curved it back down to enhance feeding of both short and longer cartridges interchangeably.

The pixs looks like your boss has done a great job. If your timing is still off, that ramp surface can be built up a few .0001's and you should be back in business.

I really like that sandblasted look.

..........Widder

GG:

I love stuff like this. This 'hardened' part of your carrier ramp can be a big plus in eliminating the so called 'Marlin Jam' and my guess, based on the pix, is that your problem might be solved.

In creating the 'WiddermAJik' Marlin, you can visit Marauders website and view some pixs of how I built up the lower portion of the ramp in similar fashion to advance the timing and then I curved it back down to enhance feeding of both short and longer cartridges interchangeably.

The pixs looks like your boss has done a great job. If your timing is still off, that ramp surface can be built up a few .0001's and you should be back in business.

I really like that sandblasted look.

..........Widder

Thanks Widder pard! means alot comin' from a Marlin-addict like yourself :P

He used an optical comparator before and after he worked on it ~ hopefully its just plug and play...

Will keep ya updated on it's functionability.

Now IF a man could buy carriers (dunno if Marlin parts are any better'n they were to get a while ago when nobody had any), and IF a shop could put that insert in em for a reasonable price, a "heavy duty" carrier would be like gold for the average marlin shooter. Just don't make em harder than the lever, or ya trade problems.......

I had a notion to do something similar, but to use dovetail stock instead of brazing. Opted for a different method not quite as good as yours.

Add me to the list of admiring fans and interested parties.

Excellent, professional job!

For those of you without the required machinery and tooling, you can silver solder a piece of hacksaw blade into the cutout and accomplish a similar, if less beautiful, repair.

(Learned that from some girls and boys in Kaintucky)

I did mine with a piece of hacksaw blade and JB Weld

Learned this from Marshal Troop

Have had no problems since

Yup - that's also on Mauraders website...glad it worked out

Excellent, professional job!

For those of you without the required machinery and tooling, you can silver solder a piece of hacksaw blade into the cutout and accomplish a similar, if less beautiful, repair.

(Learned that from some girls and boys in Kaintucky)

Thanks Manatee :)

Hey again pards!!!

Just reassembled the rifle...and wahlah! She's 'out of surgery' :D

Lookin' forward to shootin' the Marlin again...

Thanks for all the posts pards!

Ok, put me on the short list. I have 5 Marlins. 3 in .45 and 2 in .38.

Video was HOT

:D well...I don't know about 'hot'...but it works - in the basement. Can't wait to shoot it - may just head over to the local gun club after work in a day or two and pop off some rounds to see. but yeah...so far so good.

Thanks

That's great.

I really liked seeing Jordyn shooting - she's a sweetie!!

Thanks pard - really hopin' to have her ready for next summer :)

I had a welder friend run a bead on the bottom of the lifter, filed it flat and it worked on the first try and has continued to work when asked.

I would like to have a Marlin in 44-40 to do the Widdermatic on it.

I had a welder friend run a bead on the bottom of the lifter, filed it flat and it worked on the first try and has continued to work when asked.

I would like to have a Marlin in 44-40 to do the Widdermatic on it.

Howdy Noz.

Based on the success of the .38 and .45 Widdermatics, my guess is that the 44-40 would be even slicker. That smaller diameter bullet angle feeding up into a larger chamber entrance would be so smooth and fast, it wouldn't seem right.

I wish you well.

..........Widder

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy, all you Marlin jammers. As a new SASS member, may I recommend that all you grizzled ol' vets try to keep us newbies from stubbin' our toes on these Marlins? Some good old advice would have kept me out of the pickle I'm in right now with my 1894 in a .45LC. The Marauder web site has a picture in it of the "Letting in two" known problem. Wow. This has been around since at least 2007. I was proud of myself for buying American until it started jamming and I found out this is a long-term problem. Good info in this topic!!!!

I am replying so I can find this topic/post later on. I have two Marlins with the jam issue being worked on now. I may need to follow up on this solution down the road. Very good information. Thanks,

CB

Maybe I should start my own topic but I figured those posting on this could help. After loading my marlin with the chamber empty and staged. It will sometimes kick the first round out sideways and lock up the lever. I usually end up having to reload a round but last time a was penalized for having a round under the hammer when it was staged which was not the case. Any suggestions.

I am very happy to report that last week at a macth the Marlin worked flawlesly :D I just got my shotgun back from Ketchum Quick and it is 'slicked' somethin' sweet. Can't wait to try that baby out this weekend at the match on Rockford, MI ~

Archived