SASS Wire Forum

Something thats been bugging me lately.

It's great fun to be able to just go out and shoot. It's more fun to be able to go out and shoot and WIN. Just wish I could do it more often.

I love being on the posse with the "fast guys", even though it makes me miss more!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be at the back of my car in the parking unloading my gear in getting ready for the match and someone will say to another newer shooter or buddy who is there to watch " Thats Deuce, he's really fast,I just shoot for the fun he's on competative side of things".

I can't and won't profess to know what any one persons intentions are in making a comment like that. However, in some instances, it could be that the person making the comment is making an excuse for the fact that they are not a top competitor such as yourself. Their intent may not be aimed at making you look bad as much as using you to divert attention away from themself. I see this frequently in all aspects of life. Our society is so focused on winning that some people use that or similar tactics to avoid looking like a 'loser' by our societies standards. I'm with you...making yourself look better at someone elses expense isn't cool. If someone wants to comment on your abilities and it is done as a compliment or in a praising manner, fine. But done out of jealousy or insecurity it is an unflattering trait being exhibited by that person. I believe some folks don't even realize that they could be doing anything that would offend you, it's just the environment they live in, the way they were brought up. Again, not being there to witness each episode as you have, I don't know the intent. Just wanted to give my perspective on a possible motivation for some of the comments.

To borrow from an old cliche', envy the man who enjoys his work. To understand how one can "have fun" being a top shooter, one has to experience it. Or at least have the ability to relate the enjoyment of our own personal successes however great or small, to those of the awesome shooter who puts in the work to succeed.

It probably isn't even meant as an insult. It's probably a simple-minded justification for his own poor performances. And the person that said it is too stupid self-centered to recognize either.

People are rather complex.

And as the Bible says, we are all sinners, even though we all have worth.

So it is common for people to admire and also be jealous at the same time.

It is sort of natural to try to justify what we may see as something we wish were better in our actions, thoughts, whatever.

Think about it. They are complimenting your accomplishments. And they are somewhat expressing an element of envy - and offering an explanation that may show some misunderstanding.

I too do it for the fun. I have also become more competitive over the years, but I am a little too lazy to do what i really need to do to be my best. And it is natural to wonder how good I would be if I did worked harder, but I realize that in any endeavor there are true masters and they are a very small number.

You have been blessed. Accept that but know that in our sinful world, greatness is wonderful to watch and sometimes difficult for others to freely accept.

I'm not going to change anyones mind. It's just human nature.

There ya go. Don't worry about it. Life's too short. ;)

Hi Deuce! I've heard and read similar statements (not said about me of course!).

Everyone can have fun in this game. But not everyone can be fast.

Some folks who can't be fast don't understand that you can be fast and have fun. That is because they can't. They can only have fun. So this sets up a false dichotomy in their thinking. Fast or Fun.

Hard to blame some folks for wanting to keep the fun for themselves and leave you only the fast.

But not everyone who isn't fast says, "I'm in it for the fun." means that they don't think you are having fun too. They understand that they don't have the physical skills, or the time, or the drive or whatever to be fast. By saying they are in it for the fun is just a shorthand way of giving you the compliment of having what it takes to be at the upper reaches of the bleeding edge of the game without diminishing their own pleasure.

Most of us would love to be fast! But we have to reconcile ourselves to never attaining that. But we still want to play the game so we like to validate a reason for being there besides being called up to get a prize. Saying, "I'm in it for the fun." is a way of doing that.

Your post was a good one. It is good for all of us to remember that we are all here for the fun.

I've never heard anyone say... "There goes Bullspit. He is on the fun side of things. I'm here for the prizes!"

Hi Deuce,

Don't worry about it. I and many others admire you "top guns" for your dedication to our sport in more ways than just shooting. We also know that winning is hard work, natural ability, focus... all things I don't have. More power to you!

Indicating that one is slow but has fun is rather tacky, especially when that person does rather well in the standings. :rolleyes:

So, it may be like Titus said, "it could be that the person making the comment is making an excuse for the fact that they are not a top competitor" or doesn't win every time.

Just "do what you do" and "be the best that you can be." Ignore the insecurities of others and you will be fine.

Regards,

Allie Mo

If it helps? Watching you top-fast shooters is what make some of us better and faster shooters!!!!!! Watching vid's is what helped me be a better shooter. Plus all the advice from fellow shooters don't hurt

Just keep doing what your doing, enjoy the sport with your family. That is were the Fun is!!!!!!!!!!!!

Others are either too lazy or won't dedicate the time it takes to be the best they can be.

DMJ

Duece I am speaking only for me but I would have never made that kind of comment, I don't know you, to know what kind of fun you are having. But if I did know you, that would only be the start of some kind of friendly ribbing at you for FUN.

When I started 10 + years ago I practiced around 5000 rounds a month, plus what ever at the shoots and I was always coming in, in the top 10. In my case I was not having any fun and I didn't like it and almost quit. Now I do Black Powder Gunfighter, I go slow and I have more fun for me and when I bring my brass shotgun shell to a shot, the people I shot with know that they can expect some kind of surprise coming out the end of my shotgun. Any way that's my kind of fun and if your kind of fun is going fast then just tell the people that don't like it to go F*** them selves.

As for Dee Mak Jack that is just as much of an insulate as what was said to Duece, Fun is what ever it is to who ever it is

....., Fun is what ever it is to who ever it is

Yup - after all SASS is a 'fantasy' sport and usually a 'fantasy', whatever it is, should be fun :D .

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Everybody can have fun in this sport....whether it's because you just like the folks you shoot with, you like the dressing up, you just like shooting guns, you like to shoot fast...etc. Some folks just don't get that those who clean a stage in under 20 are having fun their way. :rolleyes:

BTW, I have the pleasure of shooting pretty regular with a (now former) World Champion Gunfighter. I'm gonna beat him one day......prolly cuz I plan on outlivin' him.... :lol:

Chick

I think the statement is more about the person who makes it than it is about the other person, remember there are two people being addressed here, he and I. And this is not even saying anything ugly about the persons who make this type of statement, it is what it is, admiration without the icing!

It's great fun to be able to just go out and shoot. It's more fun to be able to go out and shoot and WIN. Just wish I could do it more often.

I love being on the posse with the "fast guys", even though it makes me miss more!

Dam Sam! I thought you were one of the fast guys!!!

:lol:

Thanks for all the replys guys. Again I was using my personal experience to explain an observation I have made. I have'nt lost any sleep nor had to seek therapy so I think I am ok :D . It can be interesting to see how some folks react to life. Keeps it interesting I guess.

Deuce,

Sit down, pour three fingers of good sour mash, take a deep breat and smile.

Some folks just don't know how much "FUN" it is to push and test yourself to get through a stage as quickly as you can and get that good feeling of doing all you could at the time and with the equipment you have. Being a "winner' just puts a bullseye on your back for anyone else striving to compete as best they can. You and lots of others are the standard and goal for those who end up 'just having fun' because they don't test themselves and want to achieve the maximum of the effort. They are probably a bit jealous.

It's like "T" ball now, everybody has to win or it isn't fair. Well in our game someone has to lose, or come in second (first loser). And, some of those folks just don't get it...

We each have our perception of what is fun. Mine, like yours, is doing my best and trying to be the fastest, and win. Now that's fun.

Ol' #4

I find that most people think of me as this extremely handsome cool dude without realizing that I am also extremely intelligent and witty, not just another pretty face, but I am just a bit shy also.

I feel so much better now knowing I am not alone.

Hey Deuce, nice topic.

Now, I'm just wonderin' how many of your pals are going to go within hearing of you and say in a loud enough voice to whomever:

"That's Deuce Stevens, he's really fast but I'm in it for the fun, not the speed".

Heh, heh, heh.

See ya down the trail somewheres

Guest Kid Sopris, Regulator, #3290

Slowhand Bob, 24229, on 15 July 2011 - 05:50 AM, said:

I find that most people think of me as this extremely handsome cool dude without realizing that I am also extremely intelligent and witty, not just another pretty face, but I am just a bit shy also.

I feel so much better now knowing I am not alone.

Well I think this proves the theory that more people drink while on the SASS Wire than Online Dating or Facebook. LOL :lol:

This seems to keep coming up. I will be at the back of my car in the parking unloading my gear in getting ready for the match and someone will say to another newer shooter or

<SNIP>

PS. I used myself and my experience as an example above just to get the meaning of this thread acrossed. There are many that run into the same thing every weekend. Just as foks have the right to say it I have the right to give it right back.

Most of the time people who say "I'm just in it for the fun . . " are just using short hand for saying

"I'm nowhere near that good, I'll probably never will be near that good, but I'm okay with that because I

still have a good time anyway, so don't go comparing me to those guys!!"

I think a lot of shooters would be more direct if they just said "(S)He's darn good, I'm not anywhere near

that good, but I'm still happy to be playing and having a good time!"

No - I don't mean everyone - there are some who really would be happy if we got rid of the timer and didn't

score the game, they'd be happy . . . but most of us do look at our score and do wonder if we're getting better

or worse, at least compared to our last outing or than a friend or two.

YMMV,

Shadow Catcher

Good to see Deuce Light finally coming out of the closet......

We having fun at Sucker Creek tomorrow?

Deuce Ihave seen you help pards at the range,i have heard you answer question,have seen you laugh,heck i have even watched some of your videos.If that doesn't show how much fun you are having i do not know what will.you do so much for our sport in the name of FUN.in my mind like alot of others, Deuce you are one to ride the river with. Rusty.

I would like to address some of the sentiments put forward by some of the subsequent posters:

I take some small offense. It's not because I'm too old, fat, slow, lazy, un-focused, unmotivated, stupid, etc. to practice; heck, I'm not old. But seriously, I enjoy this game, as I'm sure you all do, I wouldn't play it if I didn't. Unfortunately(really), cowboy shooting is not the only thing in my life. I'm sure it's the same with you. I've budgeted all the time and funds I have available for this game, which allows me maybe one practice session, in addition to a shoot a month, and just enough low end guns to participate. Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the stuffin's out of what I can do. I don't b'grudge those that have more time, funds, and talent than I do, but you have to understand, it's a common human frailty to try and talk somebody down a few notches. It makes us feel like we've moved up a couple notches ourselves, and yes I fallen prey to this frailty myself on occasion. I do apologize if I've offended.

Deuce, you've alot of friends here that love you, and I'm sure I would to, if we ever get a chance to acquaint; heck I already admire you from afar(videos). Your "all it takes is practice" philosophy and ability to run the guts out of whatever quality of equipment is presented is inspiring. It appears to me that you are having a blast (no pun), and I'm sure you are, but, as others have alluded to, there is a price for fame(like it or not, seek it or not). The presence of celebrity has a tendancy to bring out the worst in some folks.(Just ask Jodie Foster, or John lennon).

Anyway, my 2cents(and that's overpriced).

Deuce, keep smokin those targets, and setting the standard for the rest of us to aspire to. And keep having fun.

"The Shadow knows.."(or at least sometimes he thinks he does")

The Silver Shadow

Good to see Deuce Light finally coming out of the closet......

We having fun at Sucker Creek tomorrow?

You know it, I might even have to break out some Abba or maybe even some Elton John at the load table, if the mood is right Gordon Lightfoot is not out of the question either.

... in some instances, it could be that the person making the comment is making an excuse for the fact that they are not a top competitor such as yourself. Their intent may not be aimed at making you look bad as much as using you to divert attention away from themself. I see this frequently in all aspects of life. Our society is so focused on winning that some people use that or similar tactics to avoid looking like a 'loser' by our societies standards.

It probably isn't even meant as an insult. It's probably a simple-minded justification for his own poor performances.

Some folks who can't be fast don't understand that you can be fast and have fun. That is because they can't. They can only have fun. So this sets up a false dichotomy in their thinking. Fast or Fun.

Hard to blame some folks for wanting to keep the fun for themselves and leave you only the fast.

But not everyone who isn't fast says, "I'm in it for the fun." means that they don't think you are having fun too. They understand that they don't have the physical skills, or the time, or the drive or whatever to be fast. By saying they are in it for the fun is just a shorthand way of giving you the compliment of having what it takes to be at the upper reaches of the bleeding edge of the game without diminishing their own pleasure.

I agree with the thoughts of the above folks (and some others too). I used to sweat a fair amount about such comments and even today I'm quick to point out to what I have come to call "funners" that if they were having as much fun as me, they'd probably play as often as I play. Basically though, I've come to believe that the "funners" are not meaning to be derogatory, but for some reason they feel the need to justify that they either do not possess the talent or are unwilling to devote the time to be fast. The unfortunate thing for them is, in my opinion, they could be faster, maybe not as fast as some, but faster if they would simply stop practicing defeatism and ask for a little help. On the other hand I can understand people being reluctant to ask for help. To them it seems beyond belief that the "royalty" of the game would actually bend a knee to help them. Fortunately, most of us know that the "royalty" of the game are extremely benevolent and would offer help in any way possible.

A year or so ago, a shooter introduced me to a new shooter by saying, "This is Buck D. Law, he's a gamer." It took me aback for a moment until I realized that she wasn't being derogatory in the least.

Deuce, Manatee, and Max Montana stopped by at a local monthly match 3 or 4 years ago on their way home from Winter Range and shot with us....sure looked like he was having fun to me....and everytime, anywhere that I have spoken to him....he seems to be having fun. :D

I ain't in this sport for what others think or say, I'm in it for what I get out of it. Don't really give

a rat's purtooty how fast, slow, or competitive others are. As they use to say back in "the day" - Man, that's

their bag! Having been a bosun' mate in the Navy, I have been "commented" on by experts! So comments like that

wouldna bugged me. If it bugs you - well "Man, that's your bag!"

Age quod agis! (Do what you do best)

S.J>

Hello Deuce;

I don't think that we have talked before, but I certainly understand your comment. I've played the game for the fun and enjoyment of it for 20 yrs. In fact, that is the only reason that I have played this game. I've enjoyed just about every match that I have attended (except for one... I won't mention). One of my favorite was when I won my category at the Nationals... Winter Range...YAHOO, it only took me 17 yrs! The vast majority of shooters will never achieve the level of play that you enjoy. I don't think that puts them into a lesser position to have fun.. (I'm sure that you would agree with that). Some folks take the competition to a higher level than others do... that's OK. However... it is my personal belief that everyone enjoys competition to at least some degree, whether it is playing checkers, roller skateing or shooting this game. IMO, seeing the possibility of acheivement is a motavating factor in most sports. That's one of the things that I have come to enjoy about the Huntsman Senior Games... Participants there seem to feel that they have a reasonable chance to be "In the Race". That does make a difference to many folks.. As for me......... Hey pard next time we are at the same match, get on my posse..... Heck fella, you can bet your new potato peeler that I will do my best to "SMOKE YOU"!

I'm Glad that the game has folks like you to set the bar for the rest of us.

Snakebite

Hey Deuce 'ole buddy. Ah know you just wanted to rant to get it out of your system. Hope it helped. There is another perspective to be considered. It is very possible that the person wasn't trying to speak "ill of a top shooter" as some whom have posted have derived or even that you weren't playing the game for fun. It is very possible that all he meant was simply that his fun was only in the shooting and not in the competition, driving one's self, pushing for excellence, or striving to do bertter. As you pointed out many of us do get our kicks from those very aspects. But, many do not. Some like to stop in mid transition between guns to turn and deliver a soliiquey to the crowd. I wan't in the parking lot and only you know for sure, but I'd suggest that the pard had no ill feelings toward you or fast shooters or top shooters. I'd further suggest that his words were not delivered as a put down to you or others. There is no real eveidence that suggest that he thought that only he was having fun and that you weren't. Duece, you know I didn't post this necessarily for you, but since you used yourself, I wanted to also use the example for the benefit of all the others that read or post hear that just because we hear things one way doesn't mean that's the way it was intended. I still maintain that people that play this game are good folks. Actually, it is only when I read the wire that I get doubts!

....on the other hand had he said, "Run faster FAT GUY" he would've just been cheerin' ya on!!!

When I read your thread I TAKE OFFENSE.....when I kicked your A$$ at the ping pong table you made a comment about me being a world champion and probably said something about me not being in it for the fun.....I have feelings too...

On a more serious side. There are a lot of people out there with no people skills. When I look at the different kind of shooters..... I've observed that there are shooters that are just there for the fun....some who are just killing time....some that are trying to improve.....some that are working the angles and trying to get an edge......some are trying to better a friend or other shooter in their category....and some are trying to win....

This sport can handle all the reasons you shoot, but if you are serious between the loading and unloading table...... you often hear the remarks....GAMER! GAMER!.... Even if you take the word "GAMER"....it means different things to different people....To some it might mean a top shooter, others someone who is too tedious about their gun placement....or just being serious....or someone who is taking a little extra time.

Duece, If I only new you, the person between the L and UL table, I would have a different opinion of you, but I do know the real Duece....the guy that took the time to work with me when I had pistol questions, the guy who counseled me on ammo, etc... and I for one appreciated you taking the time as you have with so many others. You also took the time to make videos designed to help and inform shooters of all levels.

Just how I see it.

KK

[/size font=Century Gothic][/font]One mans fun is anothers mans work. Each of us shoots for their own reasons. Just like in other games we each get fun differently. I haft to admitt that I have said he shoots for speed i FOR FUN BUT i LOVE TO SHOOT BETTER THAN LAST TIME. sO GOD HELP ME i LIKE SPEED JUST LIKE THE FAST SHOOTERS. i ENJOY ALL MY FELLOW SHOOTERS i HAVE FUN WITH THEM i HOPE THEY ENJOY SHOOTING WITH ME. tHE MAIN REASON WE ALL PLAY IS FUN SO HERE IS MY TWO CENTS . DON'T TAKE ANYTHING TO SERIOUS ENJOY OUR SPORT LIFE IS TO SHORT TO SPEND IT BITCHEN

I would think that as a state match director you would have a hide as thick as a rhinoceros. Life is too short to pet the sweaty stuff. Three fingers of Bakers Bourbon and a Partagas Maduro is just what the doctor ordered. :)

Archived