SASS Wire Forum

Something thats been bugging me lately.

This seems to keep coming up. I will be at the back of my car in the parking unloading my gear in getting ready for the match and someone will say to another newer shooter or buddy who is there to watch " Thats Deuce, he's really fast,I just shoot for the fun he's on competative side of things". Why the heck do you think I am here....for the money? This constant banter of "I'm in it for the fun" is getting on my nerves. I AM IN IT FOR THE FUN TOO!!!!!! I don't cut corners,don't ask questions during a stage reading and pretty much just mind my business. Yet folks seem to think they have a window to what I'm all about simply because I don't take 55 seconds to shoot the stage. If I didn't have fun I wouldn't spend $60 in gas and 6 hour round trip to shoot 5 monthy stages and do it 2-4 times a month. I enjoy the competition and pushing my self and my like minded friends in the game, but just because you don't give a rip about the timer does not mean you play a morally superior game than we do. The people are the game for me, I get to shoot with my wife and son and best friends I have ever had every weekend, it just does not get any better than that for me. So please before you act like you have a handle on what is fun and what's not remember that it's different for everyone. I need to get ammo loaded and guns cleaned for the weekend. Rant mode off.

PS. I used myself and my experience as an example above just to get the meaning of this thread acrossed. There are many that run into the same thing every weekend. Just as foks have the right to say it I have the right to give it right back.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deuce, some folks just don't understand the need for Speed? I know most the folks i shoot with feel great when they shoot a quick, clean stag! Deep inside we all want to be faster.

To me and my wife the FUN is all the great people we have met!!!! Are sass friends are family to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red Rider Rudy & Lady Cheyenne

P.S. Just keep haveing Fun.

As YOU well know, it takes a lot of time and practice to be competitive. I admire those shooters that have that dedication and strive to be the best they can be and I know that is your type of fun in the game. Others are either too lazy or won't dedicate the time it takes to be the best they can be. I've had the pleasure of shooting with you and the pleasure of watching your amazing speed. To those of you that are there for the fun, enjoy yourselves, be amazed by the great shooters and decide for yourself how good you want to be.

ps

Thanks for the video on loading the double. It sure has helped me

DMJ

Duece, cool it, we all have our own crosses to bear when relating to each other. I find that most people think of me as this extremely handsome cool dude without realizing that I am also extremely intelligent and witty, not just another pretty face, but I am just a bit shy also. But back to you, ever think of what an unspoken compliment that remark really is? What you really heard, "That guy is my friend he works hard to excel in what he does while on the other hand I take that which is easy and settle" but there is always a personal excuse for not being the best! You want to bet your bottom dollar that the individuals, of whom you speak, always try to make sure those friends get to see you shoot also. Most top shooters are in the center stage, even when you think we are not appreciating your efforts. Down here in my part of the country, we would rather watch ole RRR shoot than have a bag full of Krystals, but I could out shoot him if I were willing to quit having fun! (and that is my excuse but it doesnt mean we are bad guys, just human)

For every 1 of "those guys" out there, there are 5,6, or 10 who enjoy watching you work, as well as every other cowboy who has practiced their A$$ off to reach their peak abilities. The competion is not in the score, it is performing at peak ability. YEE-HAW!

:lol: I find myself becoming more competitive the more I am having fun ~ :D

Of course, most folks know that I am a messed up individual any ways

All I can say Deuce is ....welcome to celebrity status pard :P

BTW: The lifter project is done

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Deuce, You know better than that whiny stuff. Yer pissin me off here boy!

FUN is whatever it takes to HAVE FUN. If we was in a hotrod club, some of us would be installing blowers and nitrous, honing our reaction times at the track, and others would be spending untold hours polishing chrome, while others would show up in some old rat, simply happy to get there. ALL would have some flavor of FUN, especially if things went well, but YOU know you wouldn't be showing up in a rat rod, spending yer day warming the seat of a lawn chair. You ain't built that way. For you, FUN is that clickity click click, like a 110 sewing machine somebody plugged into 220.. Gots to be fast......

But, there is a small faction of shooters who FORGOT how to have fun. One day we had a really good posse, all yucking it up all day long, and the last stage, my pard Jess Lucky suggested we try Outlaw. So most of us did. One feller blew up a clean match to give it a whirl. BUT there was one shooter we tried to get to play along, and (s)he got real quiet, a cold look in the eyes, and just went about a blistering fast traditional run. That shooter was so intent on low times, they couldn't break out of that for a moment and just "roll with it". The shooter had a respectable day, SECOND in the category, and was irritated it wasn't a win. I can't see a lotta FUN in that. Seems almost like golf to me.

Duece, cool it, we all have our own crosses to bear when relating to each other. I find that most people think of me as this extremely handsome cool dude without realizing that I am also extremely intelligent and witty, not just another pretty face, but I am just a bit shy also. But back to you, ever think of what an unspoken compliment that remark really is? What you really heard, "That guy is my friend he works hard to excel in what he does while on the other hand I take that which is easy and settle" but there is always a personal excuse for not being the best! You want to bet your bottom dollar that the individuals, of whom you speak, always try to make sure those friends get to see you shoot also. Most top shooters are in the center stage, even when you think we are not appreciating your efforts. Down here in my part of the country, we would rather watch ole RRR shoot than have a bag full of Krystals, but I could out shoot him if I were willing to quit having fun! (and that is my excuse but it doesnt mean we are bad guys, just human)

Bob, it's not about being liked or disliked or respected for me. It's folks drawing conclusions about someones level of fun in the game based on skills and score. A compliment is a compliment a dig is a dig. I can tell the difference. I'm not going to change anyones mind. It's just human nature.

I have never got to watch you shoot,just the vids. I still believe you have fun shooting.I shoot with a really good and really fast shooter and he has a ball and makes everyone around him have fun.Maybe if you were shooting for a new car or big cash it would not be as much fun.Anyone that is not having fun at a shoot no matter how big the shoot needs to go home.Duece, I love the vids. you do to help people and the vids. of you shooting.Keep up the great work.

A compliment is a compliment a dig is a dig.

Correct, it's all in the delivery and the tone of ones voice and other nuances.

Good post.

If it makes ya feel any better, I was walking past you in the parking lot at EOT and I said to the feller next to me "That there is Duece, he is unbelieveably fast! I wish I was that fast, course I am too lazy to even try".

Very Best Regards,

BJT

For every 1 of "those guys" out there, there are 5,6, or 10 who enjoy watching you work, as well as every other cowboy who has practiced their A$$ off to reach their peak abilities. The competion is not in the score, it is performing at peak ability. YEE-HAW!

VERY true. I haven't the god-given talent, nor the body to be REALLY fast. I also don't have the temperment to practice the many, many hours it takes (attention span of a flea when it comes to repetitive tasks like PRACTICE). But I really enjoy watching a great run, no matter who the shooter is. I enjoy a great performance, even moreso in a sport where I do the same stage (in my own, 1/2 fast way), and know just how much is involved in making a great run happen.

This bugs me too Deuce, but I see that most of these people don't put the time in that it takes to do something good, like shooting. I get a big kick out of just working out the kinks at home. Dry fire. Thats all you people need to do is work a little harder at home so your not so dangerous on the line. And pay more attention to your RO when he or she goes over the scenerio. Yes your there to have a good time but some folks are dangerous when having a good time. Most good shooters will help you if you ask. I always take time out for anyone that wants my help. Deuce does the same. We always enjoy shooting with you and KJ. Your the best. And fun too. TWO SONS

This seems to keep coming up. I will be at the back of my car in the parking unloading my gear in getting ready for the match and someone will say to another newer shooter or buddy who is there to watch " Thats Deuce, he's really fast,I just shoot for the fun he's on competative side of things". Why the heck do you think I am here....for the money? This constant banter of "I'm in it for the fun" is getting on my nerves. I AM IN IT FOR THE FUN TOO!!!!!! I don't cut corners,don't ask questions during a stage reading and pretty much just mind my business. Yet folks seem to think they have a window to what I'm all about simply because I don't take 55 seconds to shoot the stage. If I didn't have fun I wouldn't spend $60 in gas and 6 hour round trip to shoot 5 monthy stages and do it 2-4 times a month. I enjoy the competition and pushing my self and my like minded friends in the game, but just because you don't give a rip about the timer does not mean you play a morally superior game than we do. The people are the game for me, I get to shoot with my wife and son and best friends I have ever had every weekend, it just does not get any better than that for me. So please before you act like you have a handle on what is fun and what's not remember that it's different for everyone. I need to get ammo loaded and guns cleaned for the weekend. Rant mode off.

PS. I used myself and my experience as an example above just to get the meaning of this thread acrossed. There are many that run into the same thing every weekend. Just as foks have the right to say it I have the right to give it right back.

I would not let it bother you too much. Your results have earned the respect of all CAS shooters. We are all in the sport for fun. I got into the sport to late in life to be blazing fast. At some monthly matches I do win my category, heck even occasionally am the fastest overall all, but those times are getting fewer and fewer. I take pride in shooting reasonably fast and hitting all the targets. Without fun there would be no reason to participate in the sport. I think the one main difference is that some folks have given up winning their category, placing high in their category or shooting clean so all they have left is having fun. Remember this makes up the bulk of shooters at some of the larger monthly matches. What other sport can you name where a shooter like myself can shoot monthly side by side with SASS national and world champions? I like golf and it would be the same as getting to play golf monthly with the top golfers in the world. I get to do it at SASS matches many times a year and really have fun doing so. It is fun just watching you fast shooters fly through a stage.

some folks dont do anything fast

there-fore,,,,,no understanding of the concept>>>>>> whats-so-ever

some folks with that understang,,,could never ever even bee fast

just a fact

it dont make em right er wrong

just what they choose to bee

mileage will vary

Howdy Deuce.

Comments from some shooters, as illustrated in your post, come from those who just don't understand. Maybe, in some ways, they are trying to impress their friends that they know YOU (interject any Top Shooters name). Who knows?

I've met a few of those "Some are in it for speed but I'm in it for the fun" shooters and some of them seem to be the most discusted shooters when they have a miss or firearms malfunction.

I ain't no Psyciatrist but I have slept at the Holiday Inn Express in NC a couple months ago.

All in all, my guess is that these folks are all proud of your abilities and accomplishments. And they really don't fully understand that even hard work and practice is still fun.

Next time I see you in the parking lot or on the range, I'm gona tell a newbie: 'Hey, see that feller over there with that BIG hat with $2 bills sticking out the top. That is Deuce. Ifn you want to learn some correct fundamentals of our game.....he is one of the best teachers around and always willing to help".

Yep, thats my story and I'm stickin to it!

p.s. - can you imagine a Cowboy with no children telling someone that he only got married for 'the fun' of it but the other Cowboys/Cowgirls who are married with children must not be having as much fun. :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

Just a view from my saddle..

I've shot with many a top shooter.. Deuce, KJ, Spur, UhOh, Ol' Short Tom, Two Sons.. at many of our local matches, mostly in awe..

They are all (meaning all top shooters not just the ones mentioned) the nicest, friendliest, most helping, most accomodating people you'll ever meet at the shoot.. the rest of the folks are great also..

I think some shooters are intimidated by how well the top shots shoot.. myself I try to watch what they do.. but they seem to be too fast to pick much stuff up.. They've practice beyond the point of what I'm willing to do.. but if they are asked a question.. they will always help..

Some of the frustration of a novice shooter may be.. I'm just sayin' may be..

They are at the loading table.. they get to follow one of the top shooters.. first time they've been within close distance of them.. they want to be friendly..

They try to visit with the top shooter.. (that's a no no.. maybe they don't know loading table etiquette) and they get no response from them because that top shooter is getting zoned in on the stage they are about to shoot...

Now they have aquired the wrong first impression of the top shooter.. "That guy is a competive shooter only" just because he wouldn't freely visit.. I had to learn that.. probably most of us have...

Don't visit at the loading table! :blush:

Rance <_<

Just a different view...

Top shooters, novice shooters and middle of the road shooters are great people..

Just know when to visit and when not..

CR, yeah, maybe. I'm kinda "out front" as a vendor, chatting with a lotta shooters, famous and "no name", and treat em all equally poorly (har!). Some of the top folks get lost in their own heads on a shooting day. BUT, one other thing is they are just people. They have a reputation, get noticed, and 100 people they don't recognize may speak to em on a given day, talking to em like they "know" em, and the "famous" guy don't even have a clue who is talking to em half the time.

I've made that mistake. I started to talk to a former EOT winner once, and he kinda just looked through me. I imagine he was thinking "who the heck is this guy?" Later that day when we were introduced, he said "Oh, I been wanting to meet you" It kinda clicked in my pea brain later. he'd seen my alias, read my stuff on the wire or whatever, but of course hadn't put a face with the name. He, on the other hand had been photograpned more'n Marilyn Monroe, so I "knew" him on sight.....

"Famous" shooters ain't no different than the rest of us. They get stressed, distracted, confused, etc. The DIFFERENCE is, they know how to get into "game" mode, capitalize on their finely honed skills, and put on a show we can all appreciate (even those few small minds that have a hard time giving credit still appreciate the "art").....

When I hear folks talking ill of fast shooters (you know their jealous)I just smile and say.Im sorry you cant beat them.That ends it right quick and in a hurry.

Deuce, I am sorry such statements bother you. While I may not have made them in your earshot, I probably have made them in reference to fast shooters.

Should you hear me making a comment like that, please interpret it as follows -

"There is <INSERT FAST SHOOTERS NAME>> they are blazing fast, I admire their determination and practice and drive to be the very best that they can be. I also appreciate that in being fast, that is how they enjoy this game. Me, I am too fat, slow, lazy, and un-focused to put in the hours of practice to be anywhere near as fast and competitive, so I find my fun in the game in slightly different ways. It's all good."

Grizz

Dueuce, I think that most folks haven't gotten to shoot with you to see in person that your having fun, all they get to see is the few seconds on the clock, not the rest of the time having fun with your posse. One of the most fun posses I've ever been on was a quickfire posse at HOW with Holy Terror, Evil Roy, Wicked Felina, Long Hunter (and his wife) and Boots Rob. They were all a hoot to shoot with!!!

I'm a new shooter less than 3 years. IMO I win everytime I allow myself the oppotunity to compete. (Figuratively of course);)I refuse to let anything or anyone take that away from me.

Cas is like everything else, you start having fun when you decide to enjoy what your doing. "Attitude will determine your altitude", someone said. Positive attitude will breed fun, negative attitude won't.

Deuce, concentrate on the positive, when you're having fun, it will communicate itself to all around you, which in turn will max your enjoyment and your own fun. You are a positive example by doing all that you do, helping new shooters with positive comments, answering questions, doing videos and so on, keep it up, be the embassador that you are. What's important, what others think or say or what you know in your heart?

You've helped me not even knowingly! Maybe some day I'll shake your hand and thank you in person.

Thanks for that.

Just my $.02.

Frenchy

As YOU well know, it takes a lot of time and practice to be competitive. I admire those shooters that have that dedication and strive to be the best they can be and I know that is your type of fun in the game. Others are either too lazy or won't dedicate the time it takes to be the best they can be. I've had the pleasure of shooting with you and the pleasure of watching your amazing speed. To those of you that are there for the fun, enjoy yourselves, be amazed by the great shooters and decide for yourself how good you want to be.

ps

Thanks for the video on loading the double. It sure has helped me

DMJ

Ya know, lately I been 'accused' of PRATICIN'.....

I admitted it, I practice once a month at the monthly match,

seems if ya do this long enough ya can't help but go faster, I am prividged ta shoot on a posse that has both 'fast' and 'not so fast' shooters....

we ALL have a great time! 'Course it'll be a cold day in Hadies when I shoot a stage in under 20 seconds, but I have gone under 30 seconds regularly now.... There was a time when I thought les than 40 seconds was GREAT!

Funny thing tho, it still seems like FOREVER when I'm shootin' the stage.

Just be a 'duck', let it roll off'n ya.... don't let it bother ya, HAVE FUN!!! --in yer own way--

Damn, gotta go back ta work now...

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Archived