SASS Wire Forum

Need Help! new model breech bolt in 1866

Rance - SASS # 54090

Found out my extractor problem with my yellowboy wasn't the extractor but the breech block..

Bottom tip was broke off..

Was finally refered to VTI Gun parts.. to order a new breech block..

Due to safety consideration.. Uberti does not recommend just putting in the breech block with the little pin any longer..

They have a new model.. comes with all the parts... but..

They didn't send any instructions..

Problem.. Does anyone know how to take apart the new design breech block from the hammer extention.. it has some kind of stop (wedge type) over the toggle link but I don't know how to take it apart..

Don't think it will go into the gun in one piece..

any help appreciated

Rance <_<

thinkin' they shoulda sent instructions :blush:

Found out my extractor problem with my yellowboy wasn't the extractor but the breech block..

Bottom tip was broke off..

Was finally refered to VTI Gun parts.. to order a new breech block..

Due to safety consideration.. Uberti does not recommend just putting in the breech block with the little pin any longer..

They have a new model.. comes with all the parts... but..

They didn't send any instructions..

Problem.. Does anyone know how to take apart the new design breech block from the hammer extention.. it has some kind of stop (wedge type) over the toggle link but I don't know how to take it apart..

Don't think it will go into the gun in one piece..

any help appreciated

Rance <_<

thinkin' they shoulda sent instructions :blush:

You have to knock out the pin and then pull out the wedge.

What they said on putting it in.

I had to replace mine a while back, then sent two to Pioneer Gun Works for repair. If I recall, he charged around $30 to repair, instead of around $100 to replace at VTI.

Drive out the link pin, pull out the wedge and the extension will separate from the bolt. Re-assemble in the frame and drive the pin back in.

Wyatt

I've tried to drive out the link pin.. doesn't seem to want to move ... any ideas as to right or left.. or does it make a difference??

also.. if it's this hard to drive the pin out.. it would seem like it would be plenty hard (lots of hammering) to reinstall the link pin in the gun.. seems like it could cause some internal damage as tight as mine seems to be now...

The pin in my new unit seems awfully tight.. still need help and ideas...

Thanks for the quick replies..

Rance <_<

Drive out the link pin, pull out the wedge and the extension will separate from the bolt. Re-assemble in the frame and drive the pin back in.

Wyatt

OK.. drove the link pin out finally.. seems like a tight pressed fit..

Got it apart..

My fear :blush: is having to pound that much and that hard on the link pin when I put it back together inside the rifle...

Would it be ok to slightly (with 800 grit sandpaper to again very slightly) polish the link pin... for easier reinstallation

or should I just drive it back in?

Rance

OK.. drove the link pin out finally.. seems like a tight pressed fit..

Got it apart..

My fear :blush: is having to pound that much and that hard on the link pin when I put it back together inside the rifle...

Would it be ok to slightly (with 800 grit sandpaper to again very slightly) polish the link pin... for easier reinstallation

or should I just drive it back in?

Rance

Sure, clearance a bit won't hurt. BTW it's not new, this is pretty much how the originals were done.

Sure, clearance a bit won't hurt. BTW it's not new, this is pretty much how the originals were done.

Thanks Nate.. and thanks everyone else... ;)

When I received it today in the mail.. with no instructions...

My wife said "Now what are you going to do"

I told her "I'll post a thread on the wire...

I know I'll get the right instructions there!!"

Again thanks much..

Rance <_<

Archived