SASS Wire Forum

lite 20 gage load

Guest diablo slim shootist

Guest diablo slim shootist

Anyone got a recipe for feather lite 20 gage loads.

with 7/8 shot load using Clays.Thanks Diablo Slim

Anyone got a recipe for feather lite 20 gage loads.

with 7/8 shot load using Clays.Thanks Diablo Slim

Diablo Slim,

Clays is NOT a recommended powder for use in the 20 ga.. Simply too fast burning for that gauge. Shotshell reloading is not as forgiving as some might think. Even Hodgdon's International MUST be used in very reduced loads, due to pressures getting too high if velocities are not reduced. However, International should work fine in properly reduced loads.

RBK

Some pards of mine reccomended cclays when i was setting up to load 20 gauge but before I bought any i did research for recipes at any and all powder manufacturers and load manuals I could find. Clays was not to be found but universal kept popping up so I chose to get it. At hodgdon site when you get shotshell data you have to put in all your compononts before it comes up with recipes. just a primer change may give same velocity but increase pressure quite a bit. The best thing to do is you are going with 7/8 oz shot determine what hull you intend to use then you can search the recipe to determine powder and primers.

Shotguns are made for ariel or moving targets so most loads are looking at velocity as a key factor. If you are going to make a lighter load for SASS you won't find it on a chart not because of safety but because it would be too slow for practical use and lead times would be drastically different.

That said if I were making a light 20 I would start with a recommended power like Universal and work my way down until I was happy with the recoil I was looking for.

That’s how I brewed up my wife’s 12 ga rounds and she loves them.

Go to the Hodgdon site and look under "Youth Loads"

Lots of 3/4 oz recipes @ 1150 FPS. Do not use a recipe that is not published by a manufacturer and do not substitute components.

Note: Pressure has no affect on recoil. It is a misconception. Look at the lowest velocity with the lightest payload to reduce recoil.

And DO NOT waste money on lengthening forcing cones - more BS. Get the stock cut down to fit and add a really soft and think pad (I use "Gooey" pads for trap). When they cut the stock, get the pitch changed too.

Cowboy Junky is incorrect about the effect on leads. None of us are good enough to detect a 100 fps difference in muzzle velocity.

Coffin Filler

Diablo,

I just went through this -- working up a lite 20g load for my grandkids.

As has been stated, INTERNATIONAL Clays is the right powder for the 20g. Look on the Hodgdon website and you can get all the load specifics. If you use 3/4 oz of shot with the minimum charge of International Clays, you can get close to a 28g. recoil. Since they only make one wad for 20g you may find that this "cup" doesn't fill to the top. I cured this problem by purchasing 1/8 inch felt fillers from Ballistic Products. That way, there is no shot rattling around in the shell and the crimp looks factory. I put the felt filler in the wad BEFORE adding the shot.

Good luck, Conejo

Go to the Hodgdon site and look under "Youth Loads"

Lots of 3/4 oz recipes @ 1150 FPS. Do not use a recipe that is not published by a manufacturer and do not substitute components.

Note: Pressure has no affect on recoil. It is a misconception. Look at the lowest velocity with the lightest payload to reduce recoil.

And DO NOT waste money on lengthening forcing cones - more BS. Get the stock cut down to fit and add a really soft and think pad (I use "Gooey" pads for trap). When they cut the stock, get the pitch changed too.

Cowboy Junky is incorrect about the effect on leads. None of us are good enough to detect a 100 fps difference in muzzle velocity.

Coffin Filler

Who said anything about 100 FPS? My wifes loads are like 800 FPS try shooting a perfect round of skeet with those and get back with me.

CJ,

I said "published" loads. There are NO loads listed at 800 FPS that I know of. Someone you care about could get hurt. At the very least, contact the powder manufacturer to get an opinion before using that load.

Most "reduced" loads for the 12 ga are 950+ fps. But, in this case, we are talking the 20 ga; and the data for 3/4 oz reduced loads has 1150 as the lowest velocity. So I stand by my comment about leads.

I had a chart on the lead difference shooting a skeet crosser at different velocities. If I recall, it was a few inches - not feet. I was shocked but it makes sense if you run the numbers. I will try to find the link and post it.

You are right, I would not shoot your 800 fps load on a skeet field - or anywhere. How do I know it is safe? I fail to understood why people brew up a load when it is not necessary. Suggesting that someone "work their way down" to find a shotgun load they are happy with is irresponsible.

We cannot post load data here for liability reasons. We should not be recommending reloading practices that are unacceptable and potentially unsafe.

Respectfully,

Coffin Filler

Well my wife is a small person and wouldn’t be shooting SASS if she had to shoot 12 ga factory loads…..even the “featherlites” out of an SXS would keep her from shooting SASS. So, to make her happy (and me) I worked up a load that she could be comfortable with in her SXS.

Since the SXS seems to have more perceived recoil I tried to get her to shoot a 97 but she never took to it so it was get her a reduced load or shoot by myself.

As far as safety goes how can you take an approved 12 ga powder (in my case) and reduce it and come up with more pressure or make it unsafe? I totally understand not using a different powder that is not recommended like Clay’s in the 20 ga but if a Modern 12 ga like my wife’s SKB can shoot 1 1/8 – 18+ grains of Clays which is a published load then how is say 11 grains of Clays and 1 once of shot going to create unsafe pressures when packaged correctly.

My point is for kids or recoil sensitive folks an ounce of lead at 800 fps will do the job for a SASS KD @ 7 – 12 yards so why beat them up if it’s not comfortable. For me I don’t really care and I shoot a lot hotter SG load because IMO the more shot and force I have going down range the better chance I have of NOT leaving up a target so if I’m gonna’ load shotgun I groom them to the shooters needs but never pushing the upper limit because that is where it can get dangerous fast.

Archived