SASS Wire Forum

MEDIAN AGE IN SASS?

Fast Harley,SASS#34953

Chronological or mental? :P

Yeah, my guess is currently ACTIVE shooters, those who shoot most months, is probably 55 or so. Factor in some old folks who still shoot now and again or simply keep dues current but don't shoot, yer probably talking 58 or so.

That's not necessarily a BAD thing. Lots of sports(games, activities, you pick) rely on the turnover as folks "graduate" into the age bracket that makes certain things possible or desireable. Most younger folks can't afford to shoot CAS, or if they do, it's a goal to travel more, etc as the kids are gone from the house, they get the house paid off, retire, etc. The world makes new 50 year olds every day, and even in lean times, many 65 yr olds have more DISPOSABLE income than the younger folks. I'd guess half the guys who are repeat customers of mine are retired or nearing retirement.

We dress up and play cowboy like many of us did when we were kids, less the live ammo of course. We're basically a bunch of old f@rts that are young at heart. The 2 and 3 digit SASS number members that are curmudgeons notwithstanding... :blink:

Taz

When I explain Cowboy Action Shooting to someone who knows nothing about it I sometimes say....

it's a bunch of middle aged kids playing dressup and shooting guns

sounds like fun don't it?

I'm about to turn 47, but the median age of shooters in my house is 22.6.......countin' my 13 y/o girl and 8 y/o boy. :)

Chick

You are 47?

I wouldn't have guessed it

You are 47?

I wouldn't have guessed it

I know.....I pass for 57 quite often.... :)

.....and for those mathematicians in the Saloon.... :P .....if you coulda seen my grades in Probability & Statistics, you'd know why I now practice law.... :D

Chick

CL looks wonderful for her young age

simply wonderful :wub:

but

I am bettin

that the med age in SASS overall, now is round 58 er higher

what that is just my cloudy crystal ball reading

yikes I am 56 and usualy on the young side of local stuff

How about the mean?

Mean, defined as the expected value of a random vairable. (That pretty well approximates the term "average")

Here we are talking about the arithmetic mean, not the geometric mean or the harmonic mean.

That's the view from my saddle.

Blackfoot

I'm about to turn 47, but the median age of shooters in my house is 22.6.......countin' my 13 y/o girl and 8 y/o boy. :)

Chick

Since you've already been beaten up on median vs mean I won't go there. But at least you have an age based category. For a while I thought I might have been a buckaroo since you need to be 36 to be a wrangler. I guess I can't even escape gen x in cowboy shooting.

Upon further investigation I now think I must be Cowboy, but anybody can be a Cowboy.....

My median age is 62. In fact, I'm 62 all over and whether I'm in the median or in passing lane. Eventually, I guess I will be older, but at 62 I am starting to forget how that works.

Casslong Hopidy

Mean, defined as the expected value of a random vairable. (That pretty well approximates the term "average")

Here we are talking about the arithmetic mean, not the geometric mean or the harmonic mean.

That's the view from my saddle.

Blackfoot

Median is probably a lot more relevant than average in this situation. If the average was 55, there is a lot better chance of finding a significant number of shooters 40 years below the average than 40 years older than the average. Therefore, there are a lot more shooters above the average than below.

I believe the intent of the original question was actually, If there were an equal number of shooters above and below a certain age, what would that age be?

I am 67 and the other shooter is my grandson he is 8. I hope to shoot as long as I can walk and shoot safe.I love it and so does he. I hope down the road my sons will want to shoot and my daughter and daughter in laws.

OK, quote from my wife the first Cowboy Shoot she went to

"I can't believe all the Fat Old Grey haired men runnin' around playing Cowboy"

that make me laugh

Love it!!

.....and for those mathematicians in the Saloon.... :P .....if you coulda seen my grades in Probability & Statistics, you'd know why I now practice law.... :D

Chick

You know I thought you were younger

Median is probably a lot more relevant than average in this situation. If the average was 55, there is a lot better chance of finding a significant number of shooters 40 years below the average than 40 years older than the average. Therefore, there are a lot more shooters above the average than below.

I believe the intent of the original question was actually, If there were an equal number of shooters above and below a certain age, what would that age be?

You may be correct BUT, the subject was MEDIAN AGE then the question was for AVERAGE AGE.

By the way, how did you come up with the number "40"?

Blackfoot

Chick

You know I thought you were younger

but

I am bettin

Wonderful huh?

Wow, Mike you just made my night

I'm smiling now

thank you

but

I am bettin

What he said. Just take a look at this year's EOT scores. The largest categories are 49er and senior. Silver senior ain't too far behind.

Well Harley, do ya remember that DG purple birthday cake Teresa (Red River Ray's lovely companion) baked for me at last weekends little shindig in beautiful eastern Kaintuck? That was for my 53rd birthday which is tomorrow. That bein said, I am an AVERAGE shooter, I don't think I got a MEAN bone in my body and the last time I was in the MEDIAN there may have been Lemonade involved! :P

Archived