SASS Wire Forum

Leather work question

Boondock Saint, #70146

I have a pair of chaps. These are really made for riding the motorcycle.

They have about 5 snaps at the bottom of each leg, and then they zip up. They are a tad too big for me. I want to cut out the zippers and replace them with more snaps. I can move the snaps further around and basically tighten up the legs a bit.

If these fit, I would just leave them alone. Problem is, this is the first pair I found that really match my riding jacket, which is a distressed brown, and they were too big.

The question is how difficult is it, and what tools do I need, to install the snaps onto the leather?

Thanks for any advice,

Boondock

Putting snaps in leather is pretty easy. You'll need a leather hole punch; the rest of the stuff you'll need will come with the snaps. If there is a Tandy Leather retail shop in your area, they will have people who will walk you through the process. They'll have all the materials you will need as well.

If you just order snaps off the internet, be sure they come with the installation tools and instructions.

I've never put snaps on leather, but I have on lots of clothes. Snaps are easy if you have the right tools...so I did a little Google search and found a simple source for you... Tandy Leather (Snap-All Snap Setter Set).

Good luck!

Like the others have said, the right size hole punch and a snap setter kit. Along with ordering from Tandy, I have found snap setting stuff at some of the craft stores like Hobby Lobby and fabric stores.

snaps are pretty easy to put onto leather. The ways to do it have been mentioned. Another option (one that I personaly prefer) is to use buttons like the ones used for button fly jeans or denim jackets.

This would mean cutting button holes though. I havew used them for a pair of leggings and to add for suspenders on a pair of pants. You can get them at fabric stores and craft stores and they attach much the same way as smaps. Just another option for you.

Archived