SASS Wire Forum

Ammo Ban by ATF

Two days ago the ATF decided that the .223 / 5.56 is a pistol round, even though it was designed for use in the AR platform rifle.

They then decided that the M855 round was illegal, since the "new" pistol round has a steel (armor piercing) penetrator core, and armor-piercing pistol ammo is illegal.

Mark my words ... next will come a ban on high-capacity pistol magazines, and using their logic all those 20 and 30 round AR mags will be illegal since they hold "pistol" ammunition.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Sneaky bastards!

Those folks sure like to waste time and money! :rolleyes:

Just a bunch of brainless twits me thinks! :wacko:

I have a 30 carbine 6 shooter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And around 10,000 rounds in battle packs!

I sure would like a link to where this is on the ATF site. I've seen a lot of internet traffic but no confirmations from any government source.

I sure would like a link to where this is on the ATF site. I've seen a lot of internet traffic but no confirmations from any government source.

It has spread like a prairie fire on the Internet, but I cannot find any 'official' source.

One of the opening salvos in what I fear will be a necessary second American Revolution.

After the revelations of Operation "Gun Walker", I cannot believe this rogue agency will not be done away with. As it has needed to be since its inception. A blatantly anti-Constitution agency has no reason to exist in out great country.

Not all FMJ is considered "armor-piercing". So far, from what I can gather the ban is only for homogeneous solid copper, beryllium, tungsten, etc projectiles. I think...so far...

On the good news side. After president Zero signed his exec order for 4 border states to report long gun purchases of more than 1 in a weeks time, a committee in congress voted not to give the BATFE the funds to enforce the order.

Found the following on icarry.com:

BATF Classifies .223, 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC as Pistol Round

BATF and EA Recent Finding.

EA has had to remove our Trident bullets in .223, 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC. The BATF has ruled that all of these cartridges are now pistol cartridges. Since they are now pistol cartridges their construction now falls under the content and construction limitations of the 68 GAC and pistol cartridges.

Currently from other bullet makers like Barnes, solid .223 caliber bullets are still being manufactured and sold . We are working with our BATF IOI person to find out the following,

A) Is Barnes bullets and all other maker that constructs solid bullets in .223 going to have to stop.

B) If not then why do we have to stop since out basic shape and metallurgical content of our PFP bullets are the same as theirs?

C) Since they are now handgun caliber limited how does Magtech solid copper pistol bullets not fall under the 68 GAC as AP?

D) If Solid copper is not considered a violation of the 68 GAC in handgun bullets then it should also be not a violation of the 68 GAC to make EA’s PFP bullets from solid copper as Magtech does.

Those who have T6 ammunition and PFP bullets will be contacted by the BATF to recover any bullets or ammunition that have not been FIRED yet.

I apologize for this inconvenience and hopefully we can get this matter straightened out one way or another.

Jay Wolf

Pr. Elite Ammunition

It has spread like a prairie fire on the Internet, but I cannot find any 'official' source.

Me neither. I'd sure like to read it.

So what? It's on the Internet and it can be blamed on Obama.

What more do you want?

On the good news side. After president Zero signed his exec order for 4 border states to report long gun purchases of more than 1 in a weeks time, a committee in congress voted not to give the BATFE the funds to enforce the order.

=============================================================

If the gubmint was really serious about cutting spending, they would abolish the BATF outright.

March-1938 hitler took over Austria. The european countries talked about what to do.

Sept-1938, hitler took over Chechos. European countries filed papers against hitler.

Sept 1939, hitlers tanks destroyed Poland in 3 days, still filing.

France surrendered before being invaded.

Hitler said Great Britian is next.

Obama keeps doing what he says, the european countries are falling again.

Have you folks learned nothing from Pres. Clinton??

If you are having "relations" with a young female aide and get caught - just fire a couple of Cruise Missiles at someone to divert the attention.

Operation "Gun Runner" and "Fast and Furious" need to be covered up with stuff like this in order to keep those elected (and appointed) Gubment officials from getting the ax.

Just wait, it's not over yet.

It is a bit Late for April Fool's Day. Not a peep on AR15.com or the NRA site about the .223 deemed a pistol round. Please base your information on the source.

The source is......The Interweb. It knows all, sees all. Like Badlands beady said, "It must be true". :lol:

March-1938 hitler took over Austria. The european countries talked about what to do.

Sept-1938, hitler took over Chechos. European countries filed papers against hitler.

Sept 1939, hitlers tanks destroyed Poland in 3 days, still filing.

France surrendered before being invaded.

Hitler said Great Britian is next.

Obama keeps doing what he says, the european countries are falling again.

France surrendered before being invaded? Really?

You might want to re read some history books. :rolleyes:

With SASS administrator's disdain on the subject of gun control I am surprise this thread is still up.

From the Huffington post;

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/07/obama-unveil-gun-control-reforms_n_892633.html

And don't forget his buddies at the U.N.;

http://specialguests.com/guests/viewnews.cgi?id=EklZAVpVkVibcQgsbQ&style=Full%20Article

Found the following on icarry.com:

BATF Classifies .223, 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC as Pistol Round

BATF and EA Recent Finding.

EA has had to remove our Trident bullets in .223, 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC. The BATF has ruled that all of these cartridges are now pistol cartridges. Since they are now pistol cartridges their construction now falls under the content and construction limitations of the 68 GAC and pistol cartridges.

Currently from other bullet makers like Barnes, solid .223 caliber bullets are still being manufactured and sold . We are working with our BATF IOI person to find out the following,

A) Is Barnes bullets and all other maker that constructs solid bullets in .223 going to have to stop.

B) If not then why do we have to stop since out basic shape and metallurgical content of our PFP bullets are the same as theirs?

C) Since they are now handgun caliber limited how does Magtech solid copper pistol bullets not fall under the 68 GAC as AP?

D) If Solid copper is not considered a violation of the 68 GAC in handgun bullets then it should also be not a violation of the 68 GAC to make EA’s PFP bullets from solid copper as Magtech does.

Those who have T6 ammunition and PFP bullets will be contacted by the BATF to recover any bullets or ammunition that have not been FIRED yet.

I apologize for this inconvenience and hopefully we can get this matter straightened out one way or another.

Jay Wolf

Pr. Elite Ammunition

It is a bit Late for April Fool's Day. Not a peep on AR15.com or the NRA site about the .223 deemed a pistol round. Please base your information on the source.

The source would be the above-quoted president of Elite Ammo who apparently got a visit or a letter from ATF.

I know nothing about that round so here's the dumb question - is that for the sks?

Yes, SKS and AK47. Chinese ammo that was being imported during the 80s til the mid 90s followed the Soviet specs for the round with steel core. Around 94-95, Bushmaster (I believe), started to produce an AR15 style pistol in 7.62 X 39 giving the BATF the chance to declare it a pistol round, then ban the steel core Chinese imports as armor piercing.

Archived